BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

8 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Thanks for that. I remember very little of the game. 

Mimms was in goal. 

A Rovers player was fouled in the build up to City's first, around the 35 second mark. Moran's foul for the pen was outside the box.

Robbed by the ref's again.

Yes Mimms was in goal. I had the same view of that foul as the camera. It should have been a free kick. The City player ( Steve McMahon ? ) went right through the Rovers player.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gav said:

81/82 full match - Some terrace that on the far side.

5th Sept 1981. Lost 2-0. Team -

Gennoe

Hamilton, Keeley,  Branaghan, Rathbone.

Miller, Barker, Stonehouse, Brotherston.

Lowey, Crawford.

Sub P Williamson.

Strange team, no wonder we lost. Who was P Williamson ? He came on for Keeley in his only appearance for Rovers.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

36 minutes ago, Riversider28 said:

When we gained promotion from the old 2nd Division In 1958, it was watched by 56,435 supporters. Rovers winning the match 4-3.

I served my apprenticeship under a grizzly old sod, mad keen Rover, who went to that game on the football special from Blackburn station.

He grunted at me for 4yrs, then the day I came out of my time, from that day on,  he was full of stories about Rovers and an wonderful chap.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gav said:

I served my apprenticeship under a grizzly old sod, mad keen Rover, who went to that game on the football special from Blackburn station.

He grunted at me for 4yrs, then the day I came out of my time, from that day on,  he was full of stories about Rovers and an wonderful chap.

First foreman I ever had was like that. He led me a dogs life for about 5 years. When I was out of my time and I gave my notice he said “ If you ever need a job in the future you’ll be welcome here “. Strange bloke.

On 11/02/2022 at 20:05, Riversider28 said:

When we gained promotion from the old 2nd Division In 1958, it was watched by 56,435 supporters. Rovers winning the match 4-3.

What an important result that was when you consider Charlton finished 1 point behind us in third place and missing promotion. It was the final match of the season.
Our final home game of the season was a 4-1 win against Leyton Orient, we were without Duggie as he was helping England to beat Scotland at Hampden the same day, scoring Englands first goal in a 0-4 win. 

Edited by Ianrally
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ianrally said:

What an important result that was when you consider Charlton finished 1 point behind us in third place and missing promotion. It was the final match of the season.
Our final home game of the season was a 4-1 win against Leyton Orient, we were without Duggie as he was helping England to beat Scotland at Hampden the same day, scoring Englands first goal in a 0-4 win. 

They sent the champagne they had for their celebration around to our dressing room. Proper players.

• Like 3

On 13/02/2022 at 13:40, Ianrally said:

Duggie running the show in this game

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stonesrick said:

Duggie running the show in this game

Watching Duggie back in the 60’s, you just took it for granted that he was going to skin the defenders and put in a pinpoint cross almost every time he got the ball. I so much miss “proper” wingers these days.

• Like 3

On 11/10/2020 at 12:24, Elvis Biro said:

Rochdale away in the old 3rd Division, early 1970's. Rovers fans stood behind one goal. Rochdale scored and ran off to re-start - however the netting wasn't properly pegged down and someone fished the ball out and passed it on to Birdy. He gave  it to Sir Roger Jones with a big wink - Roger then called over the ref and said it didn't go in because it's just been handed back to me by the crowd: Ref disallows it!  Rochdale players proceed to go bonkers and the ref sends one (or even two) off. Someone must have fessed up eventually as he later re-allowed the goal and then let the sent-off player(s) back on! The ref was genuinely Courtneyesque - I've never seen one get so many things wrong in one game. Bloody good laugh, though.

Anyone else remember this? The more I think about it about it, the more it seems like a surreal dream

I remember Sir Rog holding ip the ball and showing the ref but did not remember that is was Rochdale or that he ended up allowing the goal.

On 13/10/2020 at 08:40, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I remember that game well, we lost 2-1 to Bury. Two things stick in my mind, their centre forward Steve Johnson ? got two really good goals. Also the pitch was really dusty and it was a very swirlingly windy day. As a consequence the referee had to keep stopping the game to get his hankie out to remove grit from the players eyes.

The game at Bury a day or two earlier was the real celebration.

The promotion celebration match under Gordon Lee was a 0-0 draw with Wrexham, not the greatest game I ever went to !

The win at Port Vale to clinch was awesome though. 4-1 was it?  

10 hours ago, renrag said:

I’ve probably posted this before. I went to that game with an RAF mate whose dad was secretary of one of the Scottish clubs, and could get tickets. I stayed with them in Rutherglen and when we got back home his dad moaned; “We’ve had to put up with Matthews all these years and now you’ve got bloody Douglas”. 
The morning after the Scottish Sunday Express had a massive headline which just said BLACK DOUGLAS

That’s exactly as I also remember it. I was only 8 and was taken by my dad. All my mums family were Glaswegians and we stayed at my Gran’s in Ibrox.  It was pretty daunting for an 8 year old in a crowd just shy of 128,000. 

• Like 1