BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

It's November 1989. Middlesbrough visit Ewood without an away win all season. Rovers are unbeaten at home. Middlesbrough are playing a centre back up front who only ever scored 16 goals in over 200 games in the league for Boro. Tony Mowbray is in the Middlesbrough defence.

Strap yourselves in...

• Like 1

On 30/03/2022 at 15:20, Riversider28 said:

The photo was probably taken by Wally Talbot, who must have taken hundreds, if not thousands of pics of the Rovers/Ewood over many years. 

Check this site out...

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/photos/by-w-h-talbot-archivepopperfoto

3 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

It's November 1989. Middlesbrough visit Ewood without an away win all season. Rovers are unbeaten at home. Middlesbrough are playing a centre back up front who only ever scored 16 goals in over 200 games in the league for Boro. Tony Mowbray is in the Middlesbrough defence.

Strap yourselves in...

Mark Brennan, in that Boro side, was born in Rawtenstall and went to St Mary’s College, Blackburn. Made his name at Ipswich and forged out a reasonably decent career.

• Like 3

Following on from posting the above from the Talbot archive, I looked at Andy Crawford on Wikipedia. It seems that he scored only 39 league goals in his entire career. More than half of them in this promotion season. 

Looking at him and Garner on this photo and noting that they were both born in the same year I bet most supporters would have seen Andy as the more likely to become our all time leading goalscorer.

3 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

Strap yourselves in...

Typical Rovers.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Mark Brennan, in that Boro side, was born in Rawtenstall and went to St Mary’s College, Blackburn. Made his name at Ipswich and forged out a reasonably decent career.

Yeah he was a good player Mark. A nice lad too. 

• Like 1

On 08/04/2022 at 15:20, Claytons Left Boot said:

Albion Mill, near the canal, photo undated but possibly 1950. Ewood Park, in the top right of the photo, has yet to have its Blackburn End cantilever roof, so definitely pre 1960/61.

9D55413D-B1AA-4B57-8A9B-28A6A71D1AB3.jpeg

Nostalgic view of a former home, Wolseley St, far left of the photo.

Edited by Riversider28
Addition

10 hours ago, Riversider28 said:

Nostalgic view of a former home, Wolseley St, far left of the photo.

And me very nearly, Longshaw St. Where we lived when I was born. I was in the Blackburn End at 6 months old 🏆

• Like 1

On 08/04/2022 at 20:33, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

There are no floodlights either.

North End got their floodlights before us.

I'm sure I've told this story before but our floodlights were far brighter than those at Deepdale.

Me and my mate, a lad called Geoff Jackson from Queensway, Bamber Bridge, went on Ewood and we took a Northender with us (I think his name was Tony Glynn). Before the game Geoff asked Tony if our floodlights were as good as Deepdale. He agreed that they were as good but not better.

Geoff and I, of course, knew only two pylons were shining so when the other two were switched on Geoff told a sheepish Tony that they were twice as good.

Halcyon days!

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

Once more it's back to the 1989/90 season & a frankly bonkers match at Ewood that demonstrated in 90 minutes everything it is to support our fine club...

Don't blink though...you'll miss something..

Who would you rather have playing out wide left,  Scott  Sellars or Sam Gallagher ?  That old left footer playing on the left and a right footer playing on the right seemed to work ok back then.

5 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Who would you rather have playing out wide left,  Scott  Sellars or Sam Gallagher ?  That old left footer playing on the left and a right footer playing on the right seemed to work ok back then.

Well Sellars is 56 so he might not last 90 minutes but...

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I remember seeing an older left winger play in Tony Parkes' Testimonial game back in 2005 and asking my dad "who's he?". "Scott Sellars" was the reply. The reason I asked was because he was quality and I thought he could still play for our first team back then.

I was too young when he was a Rovers player, so I didn't get to see him back then. But he still had it in the Testimonial game, at the age of 39, it must have been.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herbie6590 said:

Once more it's back to the 1989/90 season & a frankly bonkers match at Ewood that demonstrated in 90 minutes everything it is to support our fine club...

Don't blink though...you'll miss something..

Iirc, the vast majority of West Hams fans sat down on the terracing at half time! 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Aqualung said:

Iirc, the vast majority of West Hams fans sat down on the terracing at half time! 

Yes I remember that. 
Liam Brady was exceptional in 2nd half, ran the show and almost brought them back into it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rigger said:

Are Oldham the first team to have played in the premier league, then get relegated out of the league 

Yes. I remember when the Prem was formed and Oldham were founder members and wanted it to remain a closed shop. The arrogance!!

2 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Bolton 0 Rovers 1

28 March 1973

A great night on the Embankment. No segregation and as usual at Burnden, the police couldn’t give a monkeys. Let’s just say you needed your wits about you.

7932AECD-39D2-45D3-81F3-44F84F4EAB02.jpeg

I suspect that was my first ever visit to Burnden Park…remember Rovers looking resplendent in all red.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Bolton 0 Rovers 1

28 March 1973

A great night on the Embankment. No segregation and as usual at Burnden, the police couldn’t give a monkeys. Let’s just say you needed your wits about you.

7932AECD-39D2-45D3-81F3-44F84F4EAB02.jpeg

I used to joke with Faz that he nearly got a few Rovers fan's killed because of that goal. I had to explain to him why but anybody there that night will understand.

He found it funny at first, by the tenth time I told him he was bored 😂😂

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I used to joke with Faz that he nearly got a few Rovers fan's killed because of that goal. I had to explain to him why but anybody there that night will understand.

He found it funny at first, by the tenth time I told him he was bored 😂😂

We ran faster down Manchester Rd afterwards than he ever did during the game!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

We ran faster down Manchester Rd afterwards than he ever did during the game!

I never felt so relieved to see a railway station. It was lung busting for a 13 year old. That game is the main reason Bolton have always been more of an enemy than Burnley, for me. 

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1