BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

I love watching these games from the late 80s. This was the time when I joined the Away Travel and went all over the country having left school, got a job and had money in my pocket for the first time.

The main thing to strike me when looking back at these videos is the close link between the singing element of the Blackburn End and the players themselves. During the warm up at least half the team have a song or chant sung about them, and they wave and applaud the fans.

Gennoe,  Scott Sellars, Colin Hendry, Howard Gayle, Andy Kennedy, Simon Garner: All these players had an individual song, instantly easy to bring to mind when looking back . 

This doesn't happen quite the same now. The exciting players will still be sung about of course (Dack, Breo etc) but I don't believe that the sense of camaraderie between us and them is quite the same. The link isn't as strong and they don't seem to belong to us quite the same. It might be because the players no longer live in the town or drink in the pubs but I think it's something else too. Players in bygone times felt like our representatives somehow. They were part of our community and it felt like we were all  vesting in a common goal. 

The modern relationship seems somehow to have lost its way sadly. 

Edited by Colt Seavers
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, Colt Seavers said:

I love watching these games from the late 80s. This was the time when I joined the Away Travel and went all over the country having left school, got a job and had money in my pocket for the first time.

The main thing to strike me when looking back at these videos is the close link between the singing element of the Blackburn End and the players themselves. During the warm up at least half the team have a song or chant sung about them, and they wave and applaud the fans.

Gennoe,  Scott Sellars, Colin Hendry, Howard Gayle, Andy Kennedy, Simon Garner: All these players had an individual song, instantly easy to bring to mind when looking back . 

This doesn't happen quite the same now. The exciting players will still be sung about of course (Dack, Breo etc) but I don't believe that the sense of camaraderie between us and them is quite the same. The link isn't as strong and they don't seem to belong to us quite the same. It might be because the players no longer live in the town or drink in the pubs but I think it's something else too. Players in bygone times felt like our representatives somehow. They were part of our community and it felt like we were all  vesting in a common goal. 

The modern relationship seems somehow to have lost its way sadly. 

probably because we  were all standing together in one crowd,seating did and has diluted the atmosphere,it`s the same everwhere,how much noise did the stretford end,north bank  and kippax generate on  a big match day and if you started chanting "wharton wharton show us your **** as we did to colin hendry,you`de get some very strange looks and most likely atract the attention of a few jobsworth stewards!!" the game and crowd have changed a hell of lot,99% of it badly imo,the only improvement in the last 30 years has been the food and catering,those pies and the strange looking tea/coffee were a health hazard back in the day😊

• Like 1

Ewood was miles better catered thirty years ago.

The tuck shop in the Nuttall Street, the tea lady with the big urn and wagon wheels in the Riverside corner, the fellas walking around with pies in those heated blue boxes.

Now it’s just overpriced Sodexho slop served by agency youngsters without a clue.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

probably because we  were all standing together in one crowd,seating did and has diluted the atmosphere,it`s the same everwhere,how much noise did the stretford end,north bank  and kippax generate on  a big match day and if you started chanting "wharton wharton show us your **** as we did to colin hendry,you`de get some very strange looks and most likely atract the attention of a few jobsworth stewards!!" the game and crowd have changed a hell of lot,99% of it badly imo,the only improvement in the last 30 years has been the food and catering,those pies and the strange looking tea/coffee were a health hazard back in the day😊

To be fair the bogs have improved somewhat as well…..

• Like 4

Result didn't go for us, but posted mainly for Duffer's goal and the way we used to take the game to the big sides.

I remember this game being played on the same evening as that "Wiltooord" United v Arsenal title decider at Old Trafford. I was in a packed snooker club watching that game (our game wasn't being shown anywhere), but the goal flashes would pop up from Anfield.

Out of about 40+ people in there, only 3 or 4 of us were cheering the Rovers goals as the updates came in. In Blackburn this was! The rest were all United, Arsenal or Liverpool. I wonder what that scenario would look like today, 20 years on.

35 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

Result didn't go for us, but posted mainly for Duffer's goal and the way we used to take the game to the big sides.

I remember this game being played on the same evening as that "Wiltooord" United v Arsenal title decider at Old Trafford. I was in a packed snooker club watching that game (our game wasn't being shown anywhere), but the goal flashes would pop up from Anfield.

Out of about 40+ people in there, only 3 or 4 of us were cheering the Rovers goals as the updates came in. In Blackburn this was! The rest were all United, Arsenal or Liverpool. I wonder what that scenario would look like today, 20 years on.

Jesus, I’d forgotten my mum was playing in goal for us.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

one of lives great mysteries is how we did`nt win that game by 2 or 3 goals🤫

That late goal felt like a kick in the lower region. We battered them that evening and should have won comfortably. Even Celtic fans acknowledge they got away with it in the first leg.

Second leg, fair enough, we weren't at it and they deserved to go through. It was lost at their place though.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SuperBrfc said:

Pivotal night in Jansen’s career too. In his book he said that Souness told him before this game that he was in the World Cup squad. Went out buzzing and scored, in front of Sven. Unfortunately we all know what happened next…. 😞 

1 minute ago, frosty said:

Pivotal night in Jansen’s career too. In his book he said that Souness told him before this game that he was in the World Cup squad. Went out buzzing and scored, in front of Sven. Unfortunately we all know what happened next…. 😞 

those two w*****s erikson and grip might as well have pushed him off his bike themselves,snubbed for keown who did`nt get on the pitch for a minute

11 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

one of lives great mysteries is how we did`nt win that game by 2 or 3 goals🤫

I'd need to watch it again but I seem to recall we had a lot of possession but didn't create too many chances that night?

Edit: Just seen Upside Down's reply above, which does tie in with my memory of that night. Away goals counted then as well so a 1-0 defeat was a very poor result really.

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 1

Anybody remember Prem Plus? Re-live the old Prem Plus experience here. Charlton v Rovers, full game from April 2006. Curbishley's farewell. Hurts to see (not because of Curbishley) but good memories at the same time.

The montage of Rovers at the start, the way George Graham is talking Rovers up in the studio, the way the commentators talk us up during the game. Sigh. Solid performance and a good watch nonetheless. Enjoy.

4 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Went down for the weekend for that Charlton game, think it was the 5:30 kick off from memory.

Cracking following down there for that one too.

Yeah, that's right. It was the late game on the Saturday. Think it was a 5:15 kick off back in those days, which they changed a few years later by 15 minutes.

I remember about a week before that, being absolutely gutted at losing our game in hand at Birmingham as that in effect KO'd our chance of finishing 4th. Had we won that...

It all feels like the stuff of fantasy today!