BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

To be fair, the FA Cup generally has died on its arse as a big event.

It really was massive when I was a kid, alas league football has become the be-all and end-all the last twenty odd years.  All about those 4th and 17th place trophies!

32 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

It really was massive when I was a kid, alas league football has become the be-all and end-all the last twenty odd years.  All about those 4th and 17th place trophies!

It’s the same in Rugby League. The common denominator - SKY TV and Sky Money.

• Like 4

On 20/05/2022 at 22:00, Mattyblue said:

Well finishing 4th means that you're a champion apparently. 

Living as I do in the past when it comes to Rovers (so much better than living in the present), I googled Alan Ainscow to see what he's up to now. And I found this photo. I'm not sure who the number 9 is. I could only think of Chris Thompson or Jimmy Quinn, but I don't think it's either of them. Anyone know? Wonder what the game was?

ainscow.jpg

12 minutes ago, broadsword said:

Living as I do in the past when it comes to Rovers (so much better than living in the present), I googled Alan Ainscow to see what he's up to now. And I found this photo. I'm not sure who the number 9 is. I could only think of Chris Thompson or Jimmy Quinn, but I don't think it's either of them. Anyone know? Wonder what the game was?

ainscow.jpg

A pure guess would be Andy Kennedy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, broadsword said:

Andy scored a fair few. I seem to remember him signing for £70k from Birmingham, maybe Jack signed that cheque.

He signed in '88 and I thought this pic was before his time. Also seem to remember having a mullet, but maybe I'm wrong.

If that's Simon Barker hugging Garner then I don't think he overlapped with Kennedy. Having said that - I've no better idea who the number 9 actually is!

8 minutes ago, oneandycrawford said:

If that's Simon Barker hugging Garner then I don't think he overlapped with Kennedy. Having said that - I've no better idea who the number 9 actually is!

It could actually be Paul McKinnon

13 minutes ago, broadsword said:

Yeah, I definitely remember seeing mckinnon in the perspex shirt. 

Could well be curry couldn't it? Signed by tp from Liverpool for five grand I think it was. Suddenly did a runner, I don't remember ever finding out what happened to him

Scored what should have been the winner at White Hart Lane in a league cup game but it was scandalously ruled offside. He also scored at Maine Road in a rare win there.

He was a bit of a dick was Sean. 

55 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Looking at that picture could it be Tony Diamond?

I think at that point Tony would have had longer hair than that (he’s as bald as me now!) and he wasn’t as well built in the leg muscle area. I think it is Sean Curry Tony. 

• Like 1