BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

1 hour ago, Colt Seavers said:

Due to having far too much time on my hands and absolutely nothing better to do, I've done a bit of detective work on this photograph.

That made me laugh 🤣 

Good work colt 👍 

Edit: and Alan has inoperable cancer sadly

Edited by broadsword
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, broadsword said:

That made me laugh 🤣 

Good work colt 👍 

Edit: and Alan has inoperable cancer sadly

I hadn't heard that Alan was poorly. What a shame. He had been a very good player in his prime. Slightly over the hill when he came to us. He memorably played his part at Wembley in the FMC. I'll never forget his quote after the final whistle on TV which I watched a hundred times.  "They've enjoyed it, we've enjoyed it,  we'll have a good night tonight "

Edited by Colt Seavers

9 hours ago, broadsword said:

I had the same problem. Luckily I had symptoms that led to an early diagnosis and successful treatment. Any man over 40 reading this - get the PSA test. It’s only a blood test but it could save your life. Once the cancer spreads from the prostrate your chances aren’t great.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I had the same problem. Luckily I had symptoms that led to an early diagnosis and successful treatment. Any man over 40 reading this - get the PSA test. It’s only a blood test but it could save your life. Once the cancer spreads from the prostrate your chances aren’t great.

I've had 3 or 4 over the last 15 or so years.  You can get kits online for about £15, alternatively, there's sometimes "events" at local sports grounds etc where they do them and ask for donations (down here anyway there is).

• Like 1

On 31/05/2022 at 15:51, Colt Seavers said:

Due to having far too much time on my hands and absolutely nothing better to do, I've done a bit of detective work on this photograph.

Alan Ainscow played alongside several number 9's at Rovers, including Thomson, Quinn, Archibald, Diamond, Hendry Patterson and Curry. Clearly then, the unidentified male must be Diamond or Curry. I recall however that Diamond sported a popular mullet cut and wasn't as stocky as this male.

Assuming that this photograph shows Simon Barker congratulating Simon Garner on scoring a goal and further deducing from the photograph that this took place at Ewood Park during a night game, I think I've arrived at an answer.

The only home night match with Garner, Barker and Ainscow on the pitch together, in which Garner scored and with a number 9 who isn't Hendry, Quinn, Archibald, Patterson, Thompson etc took place on Tuesday 5th May 1987. We beat Birmingham City 1-0 with a Garner goal.

Number 9 was Sean Curry.

I would have been one of the 8844 in attendance.

By Jove, Holmes, amazing!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/06/2022 at 00:50, Upside Down said:

MOTD highlights from one of my favourite ever games that I attended. 

https://youtu.be/GPyZV-AUV0o

We have Sheff Wednesday season ticket holders and close friends in the family, you can imagine……

I don’t remember them being as gutted then, as they were when we knocked them out of the Semi-final for the league cup in 2002. 

Then again who can forget both Wednesday and United knocking us out of both cups in 93’ish? Waddle and Warhurst tore us a part at Ewood, penalty shootout at Bramal Lane…..

34 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

Before VHS was ever a twinkle in the eye. 

C756AB6A-B3E9-4F86-8AC8-6BD466C8ADBC.jpeg

That's brilliant. I've never seen that advert before. £15.50 was a good price for a projector in the 1970s, albeit a silent projector. I am a collector of these things. I have a 400 foot reel of the1966 World cup final with Wolstenholme commentary which is great to watch.

some of the films in this advert occasionally come up for sale on Ebay.

What an iconic picture this is. There is something evocative about a black and white photograph. The concentration shown by Ronnie Clayton is terrific. Probably my favourite Rovers photograph.

Mind you the Liverpool manager might have asked a question of two mahogany four of his team were marking nobody.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

What an iconic picture this is. There is something evocative about a black and white photograph. The concentration shown by Ronnie Clayton is terrific. Probably my favourite Rovers photograph.

Mind you the Liverpool manager might have asked a question of two mahogany four of his team were marking nobody.

It’s from a free kick. I presume that’s the wall.

• Like 2

That Riverside though!

The original stand was a thing of beauty, so it always amuses me that some fans get all wistful about it’s early 90s, done on the cheap, shed replacement - it’s only two years older than the re-built Darwen End! Jack had planned for it have long gone by now, the fact it looks like an old relic has made some fans forget that it isn’t, just a cheap one.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

That Riverside though!

The original stand was a thing of beauty, so it always amuses me that some fans get all wistful about it’s early 90s, done on the cheap, shed replacement - it’s only two years older than the re-built Darwen End! Jack had planned for it have long gone by now, the fact it looks like an old relic has made some fans forget that it isn’t, just a cheap one.

I loved that stand. My grandad was a steward in the upper tier, so I would sometimes sit up there instead of on the wooden planks around the perimeter wall. A lot more comfy too. 

• Like 2