BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

1 hour ago, Upside Down said:

My dad always told me stories of how people would stamp their feet together to make loads of noise. 

I've only ever known the new Ewood. Feel like I really missed out on the 80s.

I’ve sat/stood in every section of Ewood over many years, but my favourite place is the Riverside. It’s where I first went with my dad and grandad. One of them would lift me over the wall to sit with all the other kids. When the Darwen  End was our home section, walking through the Riverside to get to the Blackburn End at half time. Who remembers seeing the teddy bear thrown around at half time and those disgusting Gents toilets. Happy days indeed. Yes, Upside Down, you have missed out on a lot. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Riversider28 said:

I’ve sat/stood in every section of Ewood over many years, but my favourite place is the Riverside. It’s where I first went with my dad and grandad. One of them would lift me over the wall to sit with all the other kids. When the Darwen  End was our home section, walking through the Riverside to get to the Blackburn End at half time. Who remembers seeing the teddy bear thrown around at half time and those disgusting Gents toilets. Happy days indeed. Yes, Upside Down, you have missed out on a lot. 

When first went to Ewood with my dad in the 70's started off in the Riverside stand and remember the foot stamping well. Then migrated to the BBE and then back to Riverside terracing when I was tall enough to stand near the halfway line. Still prefer to stand up when I get the chance!! Remember the half-time teddy dismembering well! Looking up at the stars from the gents during a night match was not quite enough to distract from the smell of the open air toilets 😉 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Riversider28 said:

To be fair I don't think I missed out when it came to going for a half time piss.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

Rovers financial situation means players need to be sold…a story across the generations…C8B31922-D288-4CCA-90E1-203EA06288AA.png

That was a bitter pill to swallow. It wasn’t the first, for me that was Fred Pickering, Roy Vernon and Peter Dobing were just before my time. And it wasn’t the last by far. Going back to the Jim Smith era although we were poor we were united as a club and we never doubted for one minute that the board were doing all they could to bring success back to the club. Contrast that atmosphere with current events.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That was a bitter pill to swallow. It wasn’t the first, for me that was Fred Pickering, Roy Vernon and Peter Dobing were just before my time. And it wasn’t the last by far. Going back to the Jim Smith era although we were poor we were united as a club and we never doubted for one minute that the board were doing all they could to bring success back to the club. Contrast that atmosphere with current events.

I take your general point Tyrone but I do think there’s a slight ‘rose tinted spectacles’ thing going on with your recollections of Rovers fans supporting the board. I remember going on all sorts of ‘sack the Board’ protests during that era (might not have been under Jim Smith tbf) and there was a general feeling/accusation that the board didn’t want/couldn’t afford promotion (was there not?)

4 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I take your general point Tyrone but I do think there’s a slight ‘rose tinted spectacles’ thing going on with your recollections of Rovers fans supporting the board. I remember going on all sorts of ‘sack the Board’ protests during that era (might not have been under Jim Smith tbf) and there was a general feeling/accusation that the board didn’t want/couldn’t afford promotion (was there not?)

Yes, I agree. However the relationship wasn’t poisonous like it is today.

• Like 2

Came across this beaut on a YT wander.

The channel is a Rovers fan and looks to have some other good Rovers stuff.

'The Golden Goals Collection' is my next watch.

Nostalgia for me and many others and a necessary history lesson for the younger fans who don't know pre VD*1

* VD1 is Venky Day 1 and not Venereal Disease, although an easy mistake to make.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Came across this beaut on a YT wander.

The channel is a Rovers fan and looks to have some other good Rovers stuff.

'The Golden Goals Collection' is my next watch.

Nostalgia for me and many others and a necessary history lesson for the younger fans who don't know pre VD*1

* VD1 is Venky Day 1 and not Venereal Disease, although an easy mistake to make.

That's what this club looked like when it was run by competent people.

• Like 1

Just watched the League Cup quarterfinal v Chelsea, on YouTube.

I had travelled over and was at the game in JW upper, towards BBE, and right in the path of as cold a wind as Ive ever known. I had wrapped up well but was so cold.

Today was the first time I'd watched the penalty shoot out in full as I'd been politely asked to vacate my seat due apparently to my reaction when Robinson waved at a cross and Chelsea equalised with seconds to go.

I trudged up Bolton Rd to my hotel to find out we had won!

The hotel was being used by Chelsea stewards, mostly serving Police, but they took it ok.

The hotel burnt down a few months later. It was a dump and the bedroom was as cold as an icebox. No heating apart from a veteran single bar electric fire. Still the lady on duty at reception and bar was nice and did a good breakfast.

Anyway the reason for this ramble - who is it by Salgado in the snapshot during the shootout? Jacobsen?? I have cropped out the bald lip licker.

Screenshot_20220628-125204~2.png

Edited by AllRoverAsia

• Backroom
28 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Just watched the League Cup quarterfinal v Chelsea, on YouTube.

I had travelled over and was at the game in JW upper, towards BBE, and right in the path of as cold a wind as Ive ever known. I had wrapped up well but was so cold.

Today was the first time I'd watched the penalty shoot out in full as I'd been politely asked to vacate my seat due apparently to my reaction when Robinson waved at a cross and Chelsea equalised with seconds to go.

I trudged up Bolton Rd to my hotel to find out we had won!

The hotel was being used by Chelsea stewards, mostly serving Police, but they took it ok.

The hotel burnt down a few months later. It was a dump and the bedroom was as cold as an icebox. No heating apart from a veteran single bar electric fire. Still the lady on duty at reception and bar was nice and did a good breakfast.

Anyway the reason for this ramble - who is it by Salgado in the snapshot during the shootout? Jacobsen?? I have cropped out the bald lip licker.

Screenshot_20220628-125204~2.png

Neil MacDonald I think?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

Neil MacDonald I think?

Thanks.

During the game the cameras panned to the Chelsea bench, Ancelotti and Wilkins, every few minutes, but rarely to the Rovers bench. It was December 2009 but no sign of Big Sam on our bench.

It was a #RoversRevisited YouTube video, good commentary by Rovers people, a man and a lady.

• Backroom
1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Thanks.

During the game the cameras panned to the Chelsea bench, Ancelotti and Wilkins, every few minutes, but rarely to the Rovers bench. It was December 2009 but no sign of Big Sam on our bench.

It was a #RoversRevisited YouTube video, good commentary by Rovers people, a man and a lady.

I feel like it was one of those games that MacDonald took charge of when Sam had some sort of op? There were 3 games if I remember rightly?

8 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I used to look for the floodlights walking up from the Boulevard. Once I saw those I knew I was “ home “ again.

That would be just after the Aquaduct pub ( Ex pub ).

Edited by rigger

7 minutes ago, rigger said:

It might have depended on which side of the road you where on.

True. I always walked on the side of the road opposite to the infirmary/hospital.
I remember walking along there a bit further on towards the ground on match day and a lad on a motor bike was coming towards me on that side of the road. All of a sudden a car pulled out from a side street right in front of him. The poor biker had no chance, he hit the side of the car and went flying in mid air. He was only doing about 30 mph but he went about 15/20 yards before landing.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces