BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

On 27/08/2022 at 09:55, Upside Down said:

Great highlights from a fantastic game. Tugay totally bossing the game and showing he was absolutely world class. This was probably one of my favourite seasons. Back in the Premier League and won the League Cup. 

Proper stuff.

VAR would have ruled out the last goal as Jansen was just offside!

Morton Gamst Pedersen------41 today. Happy Birthday Morton! Not the best player we've ever had but a loyal servant over a long period.

EDIT---In all fairness I should add that he was capable of moments of brilliance.

Edited by 47er
  • Like 6

Please take into consideration I have been drinking heavily, but if we are talking nostalgia :

I once new a lad called Aladin,

Who had a magic lamp,

He bought it from a matlot, who was fathams up a tramp.

He bought it from a matlot, to see what he could get. 

He rubbed and he rubbed and he rubbed and he rubbed and he ain't got fuck all yet. 

15 minutes ago, rigger said:

Please take into consideration I have been drinking heavily, but if we are talking nostalgia :

I once new a lad called Aladin,

Who had a magic lamp,

He bought it from a matlot, who was fathams up a tramp.

He bought it from a matlot, to see what he could get. 

He rubbed and he rubbed and he rubbed and he rubbed and he ain't got fuck all yet. 

Have you been drinking too much or not enough? 

11 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

That’s a really good article. Talking about the other two that played with MacNamee I remember Kurila, his real nickname was “ Killer “. Cushley was a handful and he was the quietest of the lot ! 
Signing MacNamee saved us from the old Div 4. There was an immediate change in attitude in the team and we stopped feeling sorry for ourselves and started competing again.

Just proves you can be a legend after only one season.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 3

My memory of McNamee was just beyond the centre circle of the opponents' half, on a muddy pitch, the ball bounced once in front of him, everyone shouting "Shoot", and he did shoot on the volley, an absolute screamer into the goal at the Darwen End. It may have been Brighton who we were playing; not sure.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I got really excited when I came across that channel on YouTube and the dates it covered.

I thought it might have had the Rivers 7 - Spurs 2 game from 1963. It has the away game 

Were we got beat ! What never ceases to amaze me is that fact that Dougan stayed on at the club for another season after shitting on everybody involved with Blackburn Rover. Can you see that happening now ? Social media would murder him.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Were we got beat ! What never ceases to amaze me is that fact that Dougan stayed on at the club for another season after shitting on everybody involved with Blackburn Rover. Can you see that happening now ? Social media would murder him.

Whilst I do now have a few SM accounts I use them for looking at Rovers stuff rather than posting.

I would make an exemption for Dougan.

• Like 1

Rovers v Everton 1962-63 season - Great games of the 1960’s.

47er mentioned the above game in the Luton thread but he had it a season or two later on. I went along to this as 13 year old kid on the old Ribble bus from Rochdale. It was played on Saturday Nov 17th 1962, a damp and cold afternoon. The pitch was a bit muddy but well rolled, at the beginning of the game anyway. Ex Rover Roy Vernon was captaining Everton and I remember watching him warm up and being impressed with the power of his shooting at goal.

The first half was end to end but without a goal. Plenty of action around the goals but nothing on the score sheet. I’d been standing behind the goals at the Darwen End where Rovers were attacking  but at half time I moved on to the half way line near the front of the Riverside. That was as far as I felt like going as there was a big crowd on with loads from Everton. ( 30,243 according to Mike Jackman ).

The second half kicked off and after about 15 minutes Fergie got away down the right wing and crossed over a peach of a cross ball for Ian Lawther to head home. Lawther had the happy knack of being able to hang in the air and he easily out jumped Brian Labone, the Everton centre half.

We’d only been in front for a few minutes when Everton got a corner. It was only half cleared and an Everton player fired the loose ball home through a crowded goal mouth. Fred Else in the Rovers goal totally unsighted.

Rovers were shaken by that goal and within 5 minutes they had conceded another carbon copy of that type of goal.  The ball fired through a crowded goalmouth with Else again having  no chance. 2-1 down after being on top.

Rovers were spurred into action by this and started to dominate the game again with Duggie pulling the strings in midfield. With about 10 minute to go Fred Pickering who was playing a similar role to what BBD plays for the current Rovers team got away up the left hand side and cut in down the goal line. With everybody, including Gordon West in the Everton goal,  expecting  a cross he fired the ball home from an acute angle. 2-2 and Rovers well on top.

With only a minute or two to go Big Fred got away again in a similar position down the goal line. Before he could shoot again Everton’s Jimmy Gabriel brought him down - PENALTY.

By this time the sleet from earlier on had turned to snow and it was really coming down. I could just about make out the goals at the Blackburn End. Dougie was the calmest man on the pitch as he placed the ball on the spot. He turned and walked back a few yards,turned, addressed the ball, and then sauntered up to shoot. The ball went in one bottom corner as Gordon West dived into the other corner.  3-2 to the Rovers and we’d won a classic.

As things were at the time I’d turned up in a suit, collar and tie. Nobody had cagoules, anoraks or parkas then. No real outdoor gear. You turned up in your street clothes. Even as a 13 year old kid I was always dapper.

In spite of this I didn’t feel the cold for a minute as jogged back to the Boulevard in the snow. Picked up the Last Sports and read it from cover to cover on the bus on the way home. Happy days indeed.

Rovers team that day

Else

Bray, Newton

Clayton, Woods, McGrath

Ferguson, Lawther, Pickering, Douglas, Harrison.

Everton ( from memory ).

West

Parker, Meagan

Gabriel, Labone, Harris

Bingham, Stevens, Young, Vernon, Veall

I’ve written this from memory but somewhere in the house I still have the after match cutting from the Last Sports. I also thought we were 2-0 down until I re-read the cutting several years ago.

This was just one of several really great games I remember from the first half of the 1960’s.

Rovers v Burnley 1962, Man Utd v Rovers 1962, Rovers v Arsenal ( 5-5) 1962, Rovers v West Brom ( the Douglas wonder goal ) 1963, Rovers v Spurs ( the 3-0 and the 7-2 )  both in 1963 but different seasons, Rovers v Arsenal 1963. That’s just a few but by then I’d started playing youth football myself and I couldn’t attend games as often as I would have like to. I loved watching but it’s not nearly as good as playing yourself.

I could write a bit about all of those games if anyone is interested ?

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 9

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Rovers v Everton 1962-63 season - Great games of the 1960’s.

47er mentioned the above game in the Luton thread but he had it a season or two later on. I went along to this as 13 year old kid on the old Ribble bus from Rochdale. It was played on Saturday Nov 17th 1962, a damp and cold afternoon. The pitch was a bit muddy but well rolled, at the beginning of the game anyway. Ex Rover Roy Vernon was captaining Everton and I remember watching him warm up and being impressed with the power of his shooting at goal.

The first half was end to end but without a goal. Plenty of action around the goals but nothing on the score sheet. I’d been standing behind the goals at the Darwen End where Rovers were attacking  but at half time I moved on to the half way line near the front of the Riverside. That was as far as I felt like going as there was a big crowd on with loads from Everton. ( 30,243 according to Mike Jackman ).

The second half kicked off and after about 15 minutes Fergie got away down the right wing and crossed over a peach of a cross ball for Ian Lawther to head home. Lawther had the happy knack of being able to hang in the air and he easily out jumped Brian Labone, the Everton centre half.

We’d only been in front for a few minutes when Everton got a corner. It was only half cleared and an Everton player fired the loose ball home through a crowded goal mouth. Fred Else in the Rovers goal totally unsighted.

Rovers were shaken by that goal and within 5 minutes they had conceded another carbon copy of that type of goal.  The ball fired through a crowded goalmouth with Else again having  no chance. 2-1 down after being on top.

Rovers were spurred into action by this and started to dominate the game again with Duggie pulling the strings in midfield. With about 10 minute to go Fred Pickering who was playing a similar role to what BBD plays for the current Rovers team got away up the left hand side and cut in down the goal line. With everybody, including Gordon West in the Everton goal,  expecting  a cross he fired the ball home from an acute angle. 2-2 and Rovers well on top.

With only a minute or two to go Big Fred got away again in a similar position down the goal line. Before he could shoot again Everton’s Jimmy Gabriel brought him down - PENALTY.

By this time the sleet from earlier on had turned to snow and it was really coming down. I could just about make out the goals at the Blackburn End. Dougie was the calmest man on the pitch as he placed the ball on the spot. He turned and walked back a few yards,turned, addressed the ball, and then sauntered up to shoot. The ball went in one bottom corner as Gordon West dived into the other corner.  3-2 to the Rovers and we’d won a classic.

As things were at the time I’d turned up in a suit, collar and tie. Nobody had cagoules, anoraks or parkas then. No real outdoor gear. You turned up in your street clothes. Even as a 13 year old kid I was always dapper.

In spite of this I didn’t feel the cold for a minute as jogged back to the Boulevard in the snow. Picked up the Last Sports and read it from cover to cover on the bus on the way home. Happy days indeed.

Rovers team that day

Else

Bray, Newton

Clayton, Woods, McGrath

Ferguson, Lawther, Pickering, Douglas, Harrison.

Everton ( from memory ).

West

Parker, Meagan

Gabriel, Labone, Harris

Bingham, Stevens, Young, Vernon, Veall

I’ve written this from memory but somewhere in the house I still have the after match cutting from the Last Sports. I also thought we were 2-0 down until I re-read the cutting several years ago.

This was just one of several really great games I remember from the first half of the 1960’s.

Rovers v Burnley 1962, Man Utd v Rovers 1962, Rovers v Arsenal ( 5-5) 1962, Rovers v West Brom ( the Douglas wonder goal ) 1963, Rovers v Spurs ( the 3-0 and the 7-2 )  both in 1963 but different seasons, Rovers v Arsenal 1963. That’s just a few but by then I’d started playing youth football myself and I couldn’t attend games as often as I would have like to. I loved watching but it’s not nearly as good as playing yourself.

I could write a bit about all of those games if anyone is interested ?

Tyrone, I never fail to be amazed by your intimate recollections of games you have attended. I can barely remember what happened last season, let alone games from 50/60 years ago. I would have been 12 years old when that game was played and most probably was there, but have no idea what happened. I for one would welcome you writing about some of the games you attended back in the day. Thanks very much for your contributions so far.