BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

What a great find!

Am I correct in saying that the stand with Nuttall & Co on its roof is where the Riverside is today with the hill behind.

Certainly looks that way, you can almost see Kirby Rd Asia 👍

Great footage.

1 minute ago, Gav said:

Certainly looks that way, you can almost see Kirby Rd Asia 👍

Great footage.

My Aunt and Uncle lived in Kirby Rd. Uncle had a small scrap 'pen' on the hill, I suppose it was meant to be an allotment, lol. I spent many an Easter and late summer holiday up there, unscrewing junk and viewing Ewood.

• Like 2

Blackburn End and Riverside with Nuttall advert on roof. Two people walking on the hill the other side of the river.

Did you notice the Sheff Utd goalkeeper was wearing a striped shirt just like his team mates?

I don't think there were goal nets. Still, players were wearing modern shorts.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bazza said:

Blackburn End and Riverside with Nuttall advert on roof. Two people walking on the hill the other side of the river.

Did you notice the Sheff Utd goalkeeper was wearing a striped shirt just like his team mates?

Did Nuttall & co, run Lion brewery?  

56 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

My Aunt and Uncle lived in Kirby Rd. Uncle had a small scrap 'pen' on the hill, I suppose it was meant to be an allotment, lol. I spent many an Easter and late summer holiday up there, unscrewing junk and viewing Ewood.

My mum lived in Kirby Rd until she married. I attended Hollin Bank Mission and Youth Club when we lived in the area during the late 1950’s and through the 60’s. Happy days.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, bazza said:

I noticed the 2 on the hill on second viewing, very clear too.

12 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

What a great find!

Am I correct in saying that the stand with Nuttall & Co on its roof is where the Riverside is today with the hill behind.

I thought that too based on the location of the roofless Blackburn End.

I think I can name 6 of these, from the left, Chris Sulley, Nicky Reid, Super Atko, David Speedie, ?, ?, Mark Patterson, Colin Hendry.

No idea who the other two chaps are but it was taken at Darwen Golf Club at the charity event for Lenny Johnrose and Tony Parkes this summer.

1C1F61A5-94AC-4236-A36B-2EF22844576A.jpeg

Edited by oldjamfan1

2 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I think I can name 6 of these, from the left, Chris Sulley, Nicky Reid, Super Atko, David Speedie, ?, ?, Mark Patterson, Colin Hendry.

No idea who the other two chaps are but it was taken at Darwen Golf Club at the charity event for Lenny Johnrose and Tony Parkes this summer.

1C1F61A5-94AC-4236-A36B-2EF22844576A.jpeg

I think the one you are missing Andy is Pete Devine.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Hendry and Patterson look reasonably slim and fit but one of two of the others have really let themselves go. Would not have recognised Speedie if I'd walked past him in the street

Last I heard, Big Col was turning out for the Moorgate sunday league side, so clearly still quite capable of clogging it with the best / worst of em.

Speedie. My goodness - I wouldn't have argued if you'd said it was Speedie's grandad. 

16 hours ago, Riversider28 said:

My mum lived in Kirby Rd until she married. I attended Hollin Bank Mission and Youth Club when we lived in the area during the late 1950’s and through the 60’s. Happy days.

It's nice that Kirby Rd is still there. I can see their old house on Maps. There used to be a few shops, I remember a sweet shop on the left going down Kirby Rd to Bolton Rd and a ladies clothing shop, I think, more or less opposite their house. Also a corner shop at Longshaw/ Bolton Rd. All gone now.

Brings back good memories, 2 up 2 down, no indoor bathroom, toilet at the bottom of the back yard and train line just across the back lane. All daily living done in the kitchen, front room hardly used and very clean and tidy.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rigger said:

I thought Mathew Brown had the Duttons brewery.

In the 50s and 60s the beer was known as Lion Ales. Only later, in 70s and 80s it became known as Matthew Brown. Whether or not Nuttall & Co owned Lion before Brown I've no idea.

Duttons were probably owned by the Dutton family.    Dutton's O.B.J........"Oh be joyful"

41 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

It's nice that Kirby Rd is still there. I can see their old house on Maps. There used to be a few shops, I remember a sweet shop on the left going down Kirby Rd to Bolton Rd and a ladies clothing shop, I think, more or less opposite their house. Also a corner shop at Longshaw/ Bolton Rd. All gone now.

Brings back good memories, 2 up 2 down, no indoor bathroom, toilet at the bottom of the back yard and train line just across the back lane. All daily living done in the kitchen, front room hardly used and very clean and tidy.

I was born at Queen's Park hospital and my parents ran the corner shop on Longshaw St./Bolton Rd.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, bazza said:

In the 50s and 60s the beer was known as Lion Ales. Only later, in 70s and 80s it became known as Matthew Brown. Whether or not Nuttall & Co owned Lion before Brown I've no idea.

Duttons were probably owned by the Dutton family.    Dutton's O.B.J........"Oh be joyful"

My memory is easily confussed, too much drinking of their products at a young age, maybe. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Sadly, the back streets around Kirby Rd and Wolseley St, where I lived, are strewn with litter and other rubbish making the area looking less than desirable. My mum would be devastated if she saw what it looked like now. Very sad.

2 hours ago, bazza said:

My uncle was a drayman for Duttons back in the 1950’s and 60’s.

• Like 1