BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

Thanks for this - great link. 

What's interesting is how heavy the ball looks, so I looked up when balls got lighter and was surised to read that they've always been the same weight except when it rained as the old balls soaked up the water. 

https://www.morethanmindgames.com/2010/06/26/an-enduring-football-myth-the-weight-of-the-ball/#:~:text=It is a myth that,something lighter – 13-15oz.

As I posted on the previous page 😜

Yes, it surprised me after a few of us got in a discussion about it in the pub one night & one smart-arse showed us all up 😆

42 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yeah but when they got wet, which was often up here, they were bloody heavy then.

Oh undoubtedly. I think the main difference now is the weight stays the same whatever the weather, plus the material isn't as harsh to kick or head as there'll be more give in it. The lack of laces also helps! 😄

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Riversider28 said:

The train engine sheds were further to the right of picture. There was a path that led up to them that was accessed from across the road from the Fernhurst pub. My grandad worked as a fitter there and I would go in the sheds during the school holidays on the pretence of wanting to talk with him, whilst really trying to climb up onto the engines and pretend to be driving them. It opened in 1937 and closed in February 1966, a casualty of the diesel era of rail travel.

Look to the top centre to right of this photo, looks like buildings and a steam train engine that is not on the main railway line. Photo from 1950.

EAW033788.jpg

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Look to the top centre to right of this photo, looks like buildings and a steam train engine that is not on the main railway line. Photo from 1950.

EAW033788.jpg

The train is on a turntable that engines could use to change on to the various lines leading into the sheds. Further to the right was a tall concrete coal holder. Wagons full of coal would be hoisted up and the coal unloaded into the bunker. Train tenders would  then park up underneath and coal dropped into them. There is a short you tube video called Lower Darwen 34D showing the site, but I can’t download it, sorry.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Riversider28 said:

The train is on a turntable that engines could use to change on to the various lines leading into the sheds. Further to the right was a tall concrete coal holder. Wagons full of coal would be hoisted up and the coal unloaded into the bunker. Train tenders would  then park up underneath and coal dropped into them. There is a short you tube video called Lower Darwen 34D showing the site, but I can’t download it, sorry

24D?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, windymiller7 said:

Oh undoubtedly. I think the main difference now is the weight stays the same whatever the weather, plus the material isn't as harsh to kick or head as there'll be more give in it. The lack of laces also helps! 😄

Also you don't have to Dubbin the modern footballs.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

sideways and backwards passes very much the abscent for most of the time and certainly no rolling it to the centre back,though if you`de have given kevin moran a short pass on the edge of your own box he`d likely turn round and fill you in🙂

You had to move it on that pitch. Short, slow passing would go nowhere.

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

happy times supporting rovers in that era,we used to grab a few underage pints in the beechwood then pile on to the blackburn end,glad friends and i got the real version of football before the sky "revolution" changed the game forever,games never been the same since sky and all seating were introduced

Unfortunately I missed this era. But to be fair, the seating was brought in because people were getting killed at football matches. 

13 hours ago, Upside Down said:

Unfortunately I missed this era. But to be fair, the seating was brought in because people were getting killed at football matches. 

Due to erection of cages because of football hooligans who thought it was "cool" to be violent and unruly.

• Like 1

There‘s a good article in todays paper about Benito Carbone. When he left Bradford the club owed him £2.4 million in wages and they’d bought him a house. He left both behind because - “ Some would call me stupid but we are men first, players after. I don’t want other people crashing their lives because of my fault. For what ? I come from the road. I became rich, but I never changed. I lost my father when I was four. My mother brought up six boys, selling olive oil. We are so lucky as players to have the best job in the world. But the job can’t change who you are. I’m always human. “

Great little player as well.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 5