BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

4 hours ago, Nuttall is lost said:

Going back to my earlier post about the hill behind the Riverside.  Totally different view now than in the past.  Got these from Fever Pitch.  You cant see the stadium at all now from these vantage points.

20221003_002120.jpg

20221002_223023.jpg

Good pics.

The one of the old ground is just about the view I had from my Uncles allotment on the hill.

I came across 2 old aerial views. The older one shows some of the old allotment sheds on the hill but I'm sure my Uncles was nearer to Kirby Rd and the other side of the first 'gulley'. The newer one looks like landscaping after allotment removal and prior to tree planting etc.

92be989e03ec130b505f509a678b59a2.jpg

NOSTEwood10.jpg.gallery.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Good pics.

The one of the old ground is just about the view I had from my Uncles allotment on the hill.

I came across 2 old aerial views. The older one shows some of the old allotment sheds on the hill but I'm sure my Uncles was nearer to Kirby Rd and the other side of the first 'gulley'. The newer one looks like landscaping after allotment removal and prior to tree planting etc.

92be989e03ec130b505f509a678b59a2.jpg

NOSTEwood10.jpg.gallery.jpg

Great pics, Asia. Good to see my old primary school, St. Bartholomew’s, on the second pic, middle right, and the church next to it. Such a shame they were demolished. I was there 1955-62. I can see the houses of some of my friends from back then. I can also make out Hollin Bank Mission, near top left, where I also went every Sunday. Good times indeed.

• Like 2

Is the row of houses on the picture from the two pictures from the hill, the picture on the bottom , that row of houses, which got knocked down to build the new Blackburn end, is that the row where they found that young lads body ?

Edited by Oldgregg86

1 hour ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Is the row of houses on the picture from the two pictures from the hill, the picture on the bottom , that row of houses, which got knocked down to build the new Blackburn end, is that the row where they found that young lads body ?

I thought it was the row on Nuttal street, I may be wrong.

• Like 1

I love the discussions on the weight of footballs. I was also in the 'balls are much lighter nowadays' camp, until I was proven wrong in the pub one night (Damn you smartphones & Google!)

Unbelievably, the dry weight of a regulation football has not changed since 1937. Law 2 stipulates that the dry weight of the ball should be 14-16oz (410-450g). Therefore the only thing that has changed over the years is the material it's made from making it more waterproof, aerodynamic etc.

https://www.morethanmindgames.com/2010/06/26/an-enduring-football-myth-the-weight-of-the-ball/

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-2---the-ball#:~:text=made of suitable material,– 15.6 lbs%2Fsq in)

1 hour ago, Oldgregg86 said:

84 Nuttall St. The body was found when house demolished for the new Ewood.

Found a link

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/6041974.killer-thought-body-buried-good/

• Like 1

Jimmy Greaves looks no older than 9 in that photo so I would say the photo was taken in 1949.

He's wearing shin pads that have sticks of wood or cane down them. I had a pair like that.

I once had a hand-me-down football shirt with lace up neckline like the one on Greaves' pal but I didn't like it because it was red and not blue and white quarters.

Great photo btw.

• Like 2

On 01/10/2022 at 13:32, AllRoverAsia said:

Frido was a  vinyl ball with small dimples and pattern to look like a real football.

I had a brown one, hated it and hardly used it on grass. Too hard.

My first club used them for indoor training in an old aircraft hanger. They were ok there.

Is this the type you used. Endorsed by Sir Stanley Matthews,no less. 

F7DE6250-CE96-4C97-8DFB-C7E7D2B88A27.jpeg

Edited by Riversider28
  • Like 2

England 4 v Brazil 2
Wembley Stadium, Wednesday 9th May 1956, Attendance - 100,000
Scorers - England - Taylor 2, Grainger 2. Brazil - Paulinho, Didi

England
1. Reg Matthews, 2. Jeff Hall, 3. Roger Byrne, 4. Ronnie Clayton, 5. Billy Wright (c), 6. Duncan Edwards, 7. Stanley Matthews, 8. John Atyeo, 9. Tommy Taylor, 10. Johnny Haynes, 11. Colin Grainger
Manager - Walter Winterbottom

Brazil
1. Gilmar, 2. Pavão, 3. Nílton Santos (c),
4. Djalma Santos, 5. Zózimo, 6. Dequinha, 7. Paulinho, 8. Âlvaro, 9. Gino Orlando, 10. Didi,11. Canhoteiro
Manager - Flavio Costa

This came up on my YouTube and is a game that I had never seen before and a chance to see a 21 year old Ronnie Clayton early in his England career.

It is a very good game and worth a watch, the first ever meeting between England and Brazil.

Other young players in the England side are Duncan Edwards aged 19 and Haynes aged 21.

There is also the 41 year old Stanley Matthews who shines brightly and is involved in all the England goals.

Before watching this game I had never heard of John Ayteo or Colin Grainger who despite short England careers had good club careers and interesting back stories, look at Wiki etc.

The England side had players from 9 different clubs. The 3 Man Utd players - Duncan, Taylor and Byrne - all sadly died as a result of the Munich Air Disaster just 2 years later. The England right back, Jeff Hall, died from polio in 1959 and his wife's public statement are credited with encouraging the public acceptance of vaccination and saving many lives as a result.

Some match detail and match reports are here,

http://www.englandfootballonline.com/Seas1946-60/1955-56/M0303Bra1956.html

The full match, the link won't embed so just click it.

https://youtu.be/BBggB5d0KfY

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Where those trees planted deliberately after the stadium renevation and the area left to over grow to stop people gathering or has it just ended up like that

It would appear that over time the whole hill area was cleared of allotments and associated buildings and then landscaped. I think that tree planting would be part of that landscaping followed by nature doing its thing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

England 4 v Brazil 2

England
1. Reg Matthews, 2. Jeff Hall, 3. Roger Byrne, 4. Ronnie Clayton, 5. Billy Wright (c), 6. Duncan Edwards, 7. Stanley Matthews, 8. John Atyeo, 9. Tommy Taylor, 10. Johnny Haynes, 11. Colin Grainger

Brazil
4. Djalma Santos, 5. Zózimo, 6. Dequinha, 7. Paulinho, 8. Âlvaro, 9. Gino Orlando, 10. Didi,11. Canhoteiro
Manager - Flavio Costa

This came up on my YouTube and is a game that I had never seen before and a chance to see a 21 year old Ronnie Clayton early in his England career.

It is a very good game and worth a watch, the first ever meeting between England and Brazil.

Other young players in the England side are Duncan Edwards aged 19 and Haynes aged 21.

There is also the 41 year old Stanley Matthews who shines brightly and is involved in all the England goals.

Before watching this game I had never heard of John Ayteo or Colin Grainger who despite short England careers had good club careers and interesting back stories, look at Wiki etc.

The England side had players from 9 different clubs. The 3 Man Utd players - Duncan, Taylor and Byrne - all sadly died as a result of the Munich Air Disaster just 2 years later. The England right back, Jeff Hall, died from polio in 1959 and his wife's public statement are credited with encouraging the public acceptance of vaccination and saving many lives as a result.

It’s worth watching for Didi alone. The Tugay of his day.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

It would appear that over time the whole hill area was cleared of allotments and associated buildings and then landscaped. I think that tree planting would be part of that landscaping followed by nature doing its thing.

I seem to recall those fields were originally railway sheds for storing trains overnight, full of railway sleepers and cinders as I recall. The first aerial picture you posted without the Blackburn End roof, shows no sign of railway train sheds, must have been way before 1960.

Edited by Gav

15 minutes ago, Gav said:

I seem to recall those fields were originally railway sheds for storing trains overnight, full of railway sleepers and cinders as I recall. The first aerial picture you posted without the Blackburn End roof, shows no sign of railway train sheds, must have been way before 1960.

The sheds on that photo are actually quite big, as was my Uncles, and could possibly be part remnants of the old sheds you mention or even old railway carriages. Just guesswork but my Uncles shed was quite big and stored scrap plus a workshop area and the odd chicken. It was too near the cliff to be originally used for train storage though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

England 4 v Brazil 2

England

Brazil
Manager - Flavio Costa

Thanks for this - great link. 

What's interesting is how heavy the ball looks, so I looked up when balls got lighter and was surised to read that they've always been the same weight except when it rained as the old balls soaked up the water. 

https://www.morethanmindgames.com/2010/06/26/an-enduring-football-myth-the-weight-of-the-ball/#:~:text=It is a myth that,something lighter – 13-15oz.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Thanks for this - great link. 

What's interesting is how heavy the ball looks, so I looked up when balls got lighter and was surised to read that they've always been the same weight except when it rained as the old balls soaked up the water. 

https://www.morethanmindgames.com/2010/06/26/an-enduring-football-myth-the-weight-of-the-ball/#:~:text=It is a myth that,something lighter – 13-15oz.

The boots they wore then didn’t help and the cumbersome shin pads.

2 hours ago, Gav said:

The train engine sheds were further to the right of picture. There was a path that led up to them that was accessed from across the road from the Fernhurst pub. My grandad worked as a fitter there and I would go in the sheds during the school holidays on the pretence of wanting to talk with him, whilst really trying to climb up onto the engines and pretend to be driving them. It opened in 1937 and closed in February 1966, a casualty of the diesel era of rail travel.

• Like 3