BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

2 hours ago, Ianrally said:

Your so right and it makes me spit when you see a player with yards of virgin grass in front of him and the pass is made directly to him instead of in front of him. What silly term is this called in the modern coaching manual ? 

I learnt that lesson listening to the panel after a game in the 1966 World Cup. They were discussing a pass Bobby Charlton made. George Cohen, who was a bit erratic on the ball at right back, had made a run outside Charlton towards the byeline. Instead of passing the ball directly to Cohen Charlton played it up to the touchline making Cohen sprint and cross the ball as soon as he got there. Malcolm Allison said - “ That’s what I call pulling the strings, he made Cohen cross that ball because of where he played the pass “.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I learnt that lesson listening to the panel after a game in the 1966 World Cup. They were discussing a pass Bobby Charlton made. George Cohen, who was a bit erratic on the ball at right back, had made a run outside Charlton towards the byeline. Instead of passing the ball directly to Cohen Charlton played it up to the touchline making Cohen sprint and cross the ball as soon as he got there. Malcolm Allison said - “ That’s what I call pulling the strings, he made Cohen cross that ball because of where he played the pass “.

Tugay, Kendall, Cowans and Berkovic were absolute masters of that sort of pass. Lars Bohinen to a lesser extent too. 

7 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I was there too, as I suspect were @arbitro @Claytons Left Boot and @USABlue to name but three. Fabulous to see Jones, Faz, Mecky, Field and Napier in their pomp.

Things I miss about football: pitches seemingly twice as big as they are now, mud, barrel-chested players, sideburns, tackles, Sir Roger’s woollen gloves.

I think I was at the game, John. Just short of 50 years ago. Bloody hell! I get mixed up with outings on the League Liner and the Ewood Express, although I’ve been to Watford two or three times over the years, including an evening game.

What a miss from Tony Field in the first half. Normal service (his) resumed later with that delightful chip. And how good was Roger Jones?

Great days. I’d love to be able to relive some of ‘em. It seemed like we’d been down at that level for years and years, so it was strange to hear Brian Moore point out that we had been in the first division (top flight) only seven years previously! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Waggy76 said:

Anyone , found footage of York v Rovers , we lost 1-0 around 73 I think ...Was on Yorkshire TV , went to the game ..Xmas or Easter can't remember ...

It was the 29th Dec 1973 and , as you rightly said, we lost 1-0. At half time, a number of Rovers supporters tried to gain access to another section of the ground. As the Police and stewards pushed them back, one of my mates lost his balance and as he fell he grabbed hold of the nearest person. Both of them fell to the ground, but unfortunately for my friend he had dragged a police officer down with him. He was held by a steward and despite all our protestations, was ejected from the ground. The good news was he didn’t miss anything in the second half. 

9 hours ago, Riversider28 said:

It was the 29th Dec 1973 and , as you rightly said, we lost 1-0. At half time, a number of Rovers supporters tried to gain access to another section of the ground. As the Police and stewards pushed them back, one of my mates lost his balance and as he fell he grabbed hold of the nearest person. Both of them fell to the ground, but unfortunately for my friend he had dragged a police officer down with him. He was held by a steward and despite all our protestations, was ejected from the ground. The good news was he didn’t miss anything in the second half. 

I was at this game. Went on a red, white and green single decker, leading up to a merger with the two councils. Got there at stupid o’clock, as there were no time restrictions in those days. We ended up at the station waiting for the football special to arrive. As it pulled in (most probably was the Ewood Express with 600 on), the doors all opened before it had stopped and off everyone poured to an absolute cacophony of chanting. I do remember that trouble you mention and I can still see an ‘old boy’ being led away by the police, coffee, soup or something all over his face. He had obviously done nothing but the police were having none of it. I would have been 15 at the time and whilst the poor guy seemed ‘old’ to me, he would probably have been a similar age to what I am now!

We got our coach tickets via a lad up at SMC. Can’t remember his name, small, likeable lad called Robinson maybe who, in turn, had arranged it via Brendan Searson, the name of the latter rings a bell. So @Exiled in Torontoand @arbitromay well have been there as well along with other regulars like Chris R and Andre R…

They can’t take away our (fading) memories. 😆

• Like 6

On 08/11/2022 at 08:30, Herbie6590 said:

February 1973 - Rovers are the lead on the Big Match…just look at those shorts (readers of 4000 Holes will know exactly what I mean…)

I was at this one and I remember the players came back with us on the League Liner. Like us, they'd all had a drink but Sir Roger was absolutely kalied! Brilliant shirts too.

• Like 2

nice to see the longside in all it`s glory,many a happy derby was contested between the dingles and rovers fans when it came to throwing things at each other,remember my dad telling me that the fans used to throw pints pots of p**s and stale beer at each other and one particular game an axe handle and a hammer head came flying towards the rovers fans😲,naughty lot those dingles

20 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

1st ever derby match i'd attended,went with a mate from school,We got the bus from Chorley to Blackburn then the train from Blackburn to Burnley.As a young teen i'd been a Rovers fan less than a year so to experience the atmosphere of a derby game set me up for being a Rovers fan for life,

It wasn't easy getting back to the train station to Blackburn.I remember nearly getting trampled by a police horse that was charging past me towards some fighting that was going on up the road.

Oh for a repeat of that scoreline on Sunday. Despite our relative revival under JDT, I'm expecting we will come away disappointed, such has been the miserable metronome across the Venky era. 

Let's give em a game, and see what our young team can do. 

Pride of Lancashire.

BRFC 😉

8 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

FDB726F7-3411-4091-8FC6-4171B8FC7107.png

I could do the face paint no problem - the hair would require a wig these days though 😉

Let's not forget how William Wallace fared in the end either ! Or that Mel Gibson is an arsehole 🙂

Other than that, I'd love Rovers to go Braveheart into tomorrow's encounter with the auld enemy!

Edited by Shirley Crabtree Wrestler
I'm a football fan (fanatic).. don't expect sensible, especially about BRFC!

• J*B unpinned this topic

In the latest edition of the excellent Turnstile magazine (produced by Rovers fan Chris O'Keefe) there is a copy of a Football League Review from around 1970 and Rovers are the club in the Ground Call feature. Alongside the usual ground capacity statistics it has what was at that time record receipts of £13280 from an FA Cup match against Manchester City on 1969. The attendance was 42315. As a real enthusiast for such statistics I remember such publications as Rothmans Football Yearbook when every club published their record receipts but that was in the days when there was no hospitality which now would probably skew the figures. It would be interesting though to know on a game by game basis what Rovers take.