BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

28 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We were all “ taller than that “ once upon a time !

Heh heh. I know what you mean Tyrone but I played alongside both Pete and Patty in different sides who happen to be next to each other in the photo. They look about the same height and I’m definitely taller than Patty but never thought that about Pete. Two great lads. 

Edited by oldjamfan1

38 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I posted this in error in the England thread too.

Peter Dobing taking a shot at goal v ManU. Question is who was the dog playing for ....or was it the Referee

Fdpg4H6X0AEujtj.jpeg

Bill Foulkes about to take the doggie out. Probably a red card coming up. I don’t recognise the other two but the player clocking the dogs arse could be Wilf McGuinness.

• Like 1

I've done a bit of research. Matthew Brown & Co. Ltd. were formed in 1830 at Pole Street, Preston.

They moved to Lion Brewery in Blackburn when they bought out Nuttall & Co. Ltd in 1927.

So in that clip Nuttall & Co did indeed own Lion Brewery.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Great find Tony. Would you have kept up with play wearing a three-piece suit and spats? 😂

I noticed that too John. It almost looks like the referee didn't turn up and they got a bloke from the crowd to do it.

😁😁

Jimmy Greaves is the lad with the ball. He was born in 1940 so my estimate is that the photo is from the early 1950s.

Just look and those boots and laces and the football.

I can vividly recall playing with a laced ball in the early 1960s which if a bit worn weighted a ton in wet weather ....I headed one .... once

The nostalgia link is that I saw Jimmy play at Ewood.

1664433841130-1.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Jimmy Greaves is the lad with the ball. He was born in 1940 so my estimate is that the photo is from the early 1950s.

I can vividly recall playing with a laced ball in the early 1960s which if a bit worn weighted a ton in wet weather ....I headed one .... once

1664433841130-1.jpg

I saw him play at Ewood a few times and although he scored he was very quiet other than that. Best British goalscorer I ever saw though. If he was through on goal you could get ready for the kick off, goalies had no chance. He was lethal in broken play in the penalty area, cool and very deft. You never saw him blast the ball, always just enough on the ball to score.

Regarding the balls - when I was a 17 yr old kid making my way in mens football the guys would be blowing the balls up before the game. The more air they pumped in, the harder the ball got ! When they’d finished it was like kicking a cannon ball.
As for heading it, I remember playing left back and heading one of those towering kicks that came straight from the opposing goalies hands 50 yards away. It came down like a mortar bomb. I honestly saw stars !

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 4

Those big old leather balls were excruciating if you were unlucky enough to head the laces which were usually hard and stuck out - and in the wet the balls got heavy and nearly gave you concussion too. 

An old pro once told me his club used to soak the balls before kick-off to make them heavy, boot the ball downfield from kick off and hope to knock out the opposition centre half - or at least give him a bad headache. No wonder so many older players have dementia

Greaves looks to be wearing boots with nailed-in studs. The first bad injury I had (of many) at footie was as a 10-year old being caught on the thigh by a lad wearing his dad's old boots. A nail was sticking out from a stud and made a 3-inch gash. It was painful. 

• Like 3

that ball looks like it belongs in a cannon🤔

speaking of heading the ball,even when i was growing up in the 80`s,heading the bloody ball from one of those goalkeepers kicks from hand was hazardous,as a full back i always hoped the bloke i was marking got off his feet first then i just do enough to disrupt him,getting a forehead full of mitre delta had you dizzy no matter how well you used your head

• Like 4

19 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

1664433841130-1.jpg

The kid on the floor behind them looks like he's up to no good. 😁😁

I have a vague recollection of putting dubbin all over my case and bladder ball to waterproof it. And for any 'owd Darreners I used to buy my dubbin from the County Sports shop on Duckworth Street.

Edited by arbitro
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

I have a vague recollection of putting dubbin all over my case and bladder ball to waterproof it. And for any 'owd Darreners I used to buy my dubbin from the County Sports shop on Duckworth Street.

Until you mentioned it I hadn't even spotted the kid on the floor, too focused on those shin pads. LoL.

As a kid I always had a supply of used tennis balls which would last well after the 'ball hair' had been worn away and until the rubber was punctured. Also was the local possessor of real footballs, thanks to my Dad, and when worn would also use dubbin as a waterproofer and preserver.

Same with the boots. Clean, wash with a damp cloth and dubbin them.

Boot laces were always long so they could be tied around and under the boot at least twice. The boots with eyelets (?) to assist this.

My first pair of real boots, second hand, at about my age 10, were nailed studs, then onto screw-in and later moulded studs.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

I remember putting Dubbin on my boots. I never had a real ball of my own. We always played with the plastic “ Frido “ balls that were made in Stockport I believe. Whenever one burst we just had a whip round and bought another one. They were about 10/- or 50p in todays money.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I remember putting Dubbin on my boots. I never had a real ball of my own. We always played with the plastic “ Frido “ balls that were made in Stockport I believe. Whenever one burst we just had a whip round and bought another one. They were about 10/- or 50p in todays money.

The "Frido" balls seemed to be the only plastic balls heavy enough to have a decent game with.