BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

On 03/08/2022 at 19:06, Gav said:

Having lived outside of the area for many years now, it’s always great to go back and pay respect to Jack. We will never forget what this man did for our town and our football club.

E0FE2661-5D3E-4E9F-B654-38CE8EC362E2.thumb.jpeg.8eea174834f10ecf4004f3349aed16c8.jpeg

Could they not paint our famous ROVERS F.C. Mosaic Blue n White like it used to be proudly displayed....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I was there that day. We were crap. The real game was at Bury earlier in the week, we did the business then.

i was to young to go to the bury away game,i remember my dad telling me there  was nigh on 10000 rovers fans there and he thought the stand was going to collapse cos all the rovers fans were jumping up and going mental😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, simongarnerisgod said:

i was to young to go to the bury away game,i remember my dad telling me there  was nigh on 10000 rovers fans there and he thought the stand was going to collapse cos all the rovers fans were jumping up and going mental😁

Your dad is right sgg, here's a great pic from the night.

1427578277.jpg

Edited by Gav
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Gav said:

Your dad is right sgg, here's a great pic from the night.

Didn't Birdie and his mates walk home from the game at Bury? Or is that a Blackburn urban myth?

1427578277.jpg

iv`e tried for years to find some footage of the match and the villa cup games,regretably to no avail,great season to start as a rovers fan,incidentally my dad is orginally from bolton and as an extremely lucky twist of fate he planned to take me and my sister to burnden park that season,only for the a leaking radiator in his vauxhall viva,id`e have ended up a bolton fan😪,burnden park being a good 1/2 + run from his house while ewood is only 10 minutes,imagine the misery of being a bolton fan,ffs i think id`e have given up on football completely!!

On 07/08/2022 at 15:48, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I was there that day. We were crap. The real game was at Bury earlier in the week, we did the business then.

Was at both games as well. The home game was Bury again wasn't it. They won but still got relegated. Always wondered if there was a bit of neighbourly 'help'? 

Remember being at Gillingham after promotion at Preston. We were crap there as well!

Edited by oneandycrawford
Fact incorrect"!

7 minutes ago, oneandycrawford said:

Was at both games as well. The home game was Bury again wasn't it. They win and stayed up. Always wondered if there was a bit of neighbourly 'help'? 

Remember being at Gillingham after promotion at Preston. We were crap there as well!

We played like we’d been celebrating all week. The thing I remember most was it was a very blustery day and the pitch was very sandy. The ref kept having to stop the game and get his hankie out to remove grit from players eyes ! 

1 hour ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Would love to see a statue of Bob Crompton erected at Ewood...one club Player and Manager,Captain of Rovers and England.

image.thumb.png.dc126f2d30d5de35606b7972c5a8e077.pngimage.thumb.png.aafc8d8862fd16920a4f43309659be66.png

This statue idea is certainly on the radar of the Rovers Trust. Didn't the great man even die of a heart attack just after managing us to a 3-2 win over Burnley? That's almost as good as getting shot dead at the age of 99 by a jealous husband!

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

This statue idea is certainly on the radar of the Rovers Trust. Didn't the great man even die of a heart attack just after managing us to a 3-2 win over Burnley? That's almost as good as getting shot dead at the age of 99 by a jealous husband!

Thought you'd appreciate this poem by Roger McGough ...

Let me die a young man's death
not a clean and in-between
the sheets holy water death
not a famous-last-words
peaceful out of breath death

When I'm 73
and in constant good tumour
may I be mown down at dawn
by a bright red sports car
on my way home
from an all-night party

Or when I'm 91
with silver hair
and sitting in a barber's chair
may rival gangsters
with hamfisted tommyguns burst in
and give me a short back and insides

Or when I'm 104
and banned from the Cavern
may my mistress
catching me in bed with her daughter
and fearing for her son
cut me up into little pieces
and throw away every piece but one

not a free from sin tiptoe in
candle wax and waning death
not a curtains drawn by angels borne
'what a nice way to go' death

• Like 6

22 hours ago, sympatheticclaret said:

Thought you'd appreciate this poem by Roger McGough ...

not a clean and in-between
the sheets holy water death
not a famous-last-words
peaceful out of breath death

When I'm 73
and in constant good tumour
may I be mown down at dawn
by a bright red sports car
on my way home
from an all-night party

Or when I'm 91
with silver hair
and sitting in a barber's chair
may rival gangsters
with hamfisted tommyguns burst in
and give me a short back and insides

Or when I'm 104
and banned from the Cavern
may my mistress
catching me in bed with her daughter
and fearing for her son
cut me up into little pieces
and throw away every piece but one

not a free from sin tiptoe in
candle wax and waning death
not a curtains drawn by angels borne
'what a nice way to go' death

Saw him perform that on stage in the 60"s. Loved it then!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I've written them down and have 44, not 41. I may be wrong with Charlton Ath, Reading, Barnsley or Birmingham City but I don't know which.

Also not sure of Oxford, Millwall and Swindon (not included in my 44).

16 hours ago, bazza said:

I've written them down and have 44, not 41. I may be wrong with Charlton Ath, Reading, Barnsley or Birmingham City but I don't know which.

Also not sure of Oxford, Millwall and Swindon (not included in my 44).

You can rule those two out as they haven't played in the top flight while it has been the "Premier League".

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

You can rule those two out as they haven't played in the top flight while it has been the "Premier League".

Just checked Swindon who were in the Prem for the 1993-94 season. So that makes a total of 45.

1 hour ago, renrag said:

According to Wikipedia 50 clubs in total have played in the Premier League

Going geographically around the country in my mind I missed out Huddersfield, Derby, Watford, Bournemouth and Fulham.

50 it is. Thanks.

• Like 1