BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

4 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

This doesn’t need any introduction. Bought from the Evening Telegraph, nice glossy, big photograph, when Blackburn still had a decent newspaper. Mike Newell, one of my all time favourite Rovers. (I’m clearing our loft out, by the way, so there could be a few more appearing) 😆

72225307-FF88-4DAD-A2A9-F2624025C9C3.jpeg

‘They’re on their way!’

• Like 1

I didn't know where to post this but if anyone is interested in what should be a good night, while raising money for Tony Parkes, there is an 'Evening With David Speedie' event on in Blues Bar at 7pm on Friday 6th May.

It so happens that I'm on a rare visit home that weekend so I'll be there.

653FADFC-A4DC-43C2-9A03-55F5313BF11B.jpeg

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 5

I went to see a similar event in The Hordens a while back, very entertaining, told some great stories, one in particular about Terry Hurlock when he arrived at Southampton as part of the Shearer deal.

Well worth the admission fee alone 🤣

• Like 1

On 26/04/2022 at 15:18, rigger said:

I never felt so relieved to see a railway station. It was lung busting for a 13 year old. That game is the main reason Bolton have always been more of an enemy than Burnley, for me. 

I’ve been to Bolton watching games ( mainly Rovers but other teams sometimes ) loads of times and I never had any bother. I kept myself to myself at games, usually went and stood on my own, and I kept my mouth shut.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I’ve been to Bolton watching games ( mainly Rovers but other teams sometimes ) loads of times and I never had any bother. I kept myself to myself at games, usually went and stood on my ow,  and I kept my mouth shut.

The railway end was always a battlefield. And Manchester road was a free for all.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

On 26/04/2022 at 17:52, Claytons Left Boot said:

Rovers 1 Coventry 0

26 Jan 1980 and Rovers knock first division Sky Blues out of the FA Cup.

6621E345-11E9-4C22-B682-5DFBD6AB0050.jpeg

spent the game sitting on  my dads shoulders right next to the riverside fence from the blackburn end🙂,who`d have thought crawford would end up playing in the bottom division🤪

• Like 1

15 hours ago, renrag said:

Wasn’t that when Coventry turned up looking like Cadbury’s Milk Tray? They deserved to lose for that kit alone

Yeah - and it was the game when Duncan McKenzie gave one of the best individual performances I’ve seen. What a footballer he was.

• Like 2

On 23/02/2021 at 08:16, Claytons Left Boot said:

I was eight years old when I started going to Ewood in 1966. We had just sold Byrom to Bolton but, at that age, I was unaware of that. My uncle used to take me, as my dad had no real interest in football.

A few years later, I started going on my own and gradually got to the age when I followed the lads away. When we played Bolton, especially away, I used to dread Byrom being in their line up. I knew he was a prolific striker but still blissfully unaware of his previous status at Rovers. As you say, a real mistake selling him. We may well have gone straight back up with him in the side. We’ll never know.

Same age as me then Clayton.

3 hours ago, USABlue said:

Same age as me then Clayton.

Yeah, it was real bollock selling Byrom. We spent a fortune on strikers after he left and all the time he was banging in the goals  for Bolton. West Ham must have hated him, he always filled his boots against them, and Bobby Moore.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't exactly know where to put this as it's not Rovers but it's nostalgia so I'm sticking it here. 

I saw this on twitter and found the video on YouTube. It's the 1987 FA Cup final celebrity match. I think that it's superb, a different world. There is all sorts going on; playing on the pitch before the actual cup final. Sponsored by Kaliber. Assorted soap opera celebs involved. Daley Thompson clearly on another planet physically than everybody else. Saint and Greavsie commentating.  

I find it fascinating. 

Edited by speeeeeeedie
wrong year
  • Like 4

31 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I don't exactly know where to put this as it's not Rovers but it's nostalgia so I'm sticking it here. 

I saw this on twitter and found the video on YouTube. It's the 1987 FA Cup final celebrity match. I think that it's superb, a different world. There is all sorts going on; playing on the pitch before the actual cup final. Sponsored by Kaliber. Assorted soap opera celebs involved. Daley Thompson clearly on another planet physically than everybody else. Saint and Greavsie commentating.  

I find it fascinating. 

Thoroughly enjoyed that. Tfp. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bazza said:

Wish I could see the team sheets. Great to watch. Thanks, Speeeeedie. 

Here you go Bazza.

Even the team sheet makes me laugh. They have to name the soap actors characters as nobody would have had a clue who they were otherwise. John Birt and Greg Dyke, both big TV hitters. Ronnie Corbett presenting the trophy. 

It's brilliant. I more than likely watched the game but have no memory of it.

image.png.58f4d65d03b2a378ca5f404b6b7a1bc7.png

• Like 1

Rovers v Aston Villa in a cup tie has been something of a tradition over the years - here's the 1990 vintage 3rd Round FAC tie at Ewood with Chris Price on the Villa bench and Graham Taylor's side boasting Olney & Ormondroyd "up top"...quelle surprise..!

52 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

Rovers v Aston Villa in a cup tie has been something of a tradition over the years - here's the 1990 vintage 3rd Round FAC tie at Ewood with Chris Price on the Villa bench and Graham Taylor's side boasting Olney & Ormondroyd "up top"...quelle surprise..!

We don’t do cup ties like that any more.

Remember those cup ties against Villa, and then the season after against Liverpool.

As a kid i remember there was such excitement around the games and such a buzz about the place.

Nowadays, save for the Liverpool games in 2015 the cup has become such a non event for the club.

• Like 2