BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

Has anyone else seen the interview, where a rotund Benni McCarthy says that he was so disappointed, gutted, "killed" by the club's refusal to let him join Mourinho at Chelsea.In fact, he says his performances and career went downhill from that point.

He says Rovers turned down £20 million from Chelsea! I'd never heard that before.

He also says that his main motivation for playing so well in his first Rovers season was to prove he still had it to Mourinho, his old boss!

He even says he began thinking it was some kind of racism and euro-centricity on the part of the club. They would not have stood in the way of a European player like they were doing for an African....

Very disappointing!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Bill Slater would be the missing one - Clitheroe born if I'm not mistaken?

Spot on. It always anoyed me that a bloke from Clitheroe lifted the cup in 1960. To be fair I wrote Bill a letter some years ago and he sent me a gracious reply. A lovely man. 

• Like 2

On 16/02/2022 at 19:59, Ianrally said:

Your correct here are the relevant facts

19B90771-F289-4DD1-971D-68BE1444F6EB.png

That team would have lined up in a 2-3-5 formation as follows:

Hopkinson; Howe, Langley; Clayton Wright, Slater; Douglas, Charlton, Kevan, Haynes, Finney.

Hopkinson from Bolton W, Langley and Haynes from Fulham, Wright and Slater from Wolves, Clayton and Douglas  from the greatest football club in the world and Finney from PNE.

Not sure about Howe. Did Kevan play for WBA?

Actually, looking at that line-up, no wonder they beat Scotland.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bazza said:

That team would have lined up in a 2-3-5 formation as follows:

Hopkinson; Howe, Langley; Clayton Wright, Slater; Douglas, Charlton, Kevan, Haynes, Finney.

Hopkinson from Bolton W, Langley and Haynes from Fulham, Wright and Slater from Wolves, Clayton and Douglas  from the greatest football club in the world and Finney from PNE.

Not sure about Howe. Did Kevan play for WBA?

Actually, looking at that line-up, no wonder they beat Scotland.

Both Don Howe and Derrick Kevan both played for West Brom.

Langley was a nasty piece of work. I remember seeing him kick Barry Ratcliffe out of a game at Ewood. Barry had been giving him a chasing so Langley finally leapt at him with both feet,  landing on Ratcliffe’s leg. It was a booking then, today it would have been an instant red card. That was Barry out of the game with no subs.

• Like 1

It’s funny, I often can’t remember what I did last week, but I recall that game like it was yesterday. We had ‘posh seats’ from local sponsorship, but I’d much rather have stood on Blackburn End. 

Marco Gabiadini was Sunderland’s answer to Simon Garner, but not as good. Andy Ritchie was another, Tommy Tynan at Plymouth, Bernie Slaven at Boro, all prolific goal scorers. 

• Like 1

On 17/02/2021 at 04:11, rigger said:

I just went with Ribblesdale. The RATC meant rules that had to be followed. Ribblesdale was a free for all. At Southampton our coach got bricked, the driver hit the brakes, opened the door and shouted, "get the bastards".     

I was on that, I got hit with the brick, had to go the hospital in Southampton.  Me and someother fella, he had glass in his foot.

• Like 1