BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

19 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

Back once again to 1989/90 & Don Mackay's men toy with the Tykes at Ewood...

I'd just become a dad for the first time earlier that week, so it was the first Rovers game of my oldest son's lifetime, and what a start!!

• Like 4

On 23/03/2022 at 17:35, Herbie6590 said:

Back once again to 1989/90 & Don Mackay's men toy with the Tykes at Ewood...

Superb watch that. I remember being at that game as a 14 year old. I usually used to stand at the front of the BBE back then (before graduating to moving further back) and used to jump up on the railings just about where Garns celebrates his hat-trick. I'm sure I'd be one of those lads up on the fencing but can't make it out. Don't suppose you've got a copy in UHD anywhere? 😄

• Like 1

3 hours ago, windymiller7 said:

Superb watch that. I remember being at that game as a 14 year old. I usually used to stand at the front of the BBE back then (before graduating to moving further back) and used to jump up on the railings just about where Garns celebrates his hat-trick. I'm sure I'd be one of those lads up on the fencing but can't make it out. Don't suppose you've got a copy in UHD anywhere? 😄

🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Not seen this photo before. Rovers beating Liverpool 2-1 in the FA Cup, 1957-58 and young Rovers fans celebrate a goal in front of a packed Darwen End. Attendance 51,000. A week earlier, we had drawn with them in a league encounter, also at Ewood, in front of 41,789. 

BB5AF683-22D2-41E2-8F9F-6156716EA621.jpeg

The lad on the left would have been in trouble when he got home - look at the state of his wellies.

😂😂😂

13 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Not seen this photo before. Rovers beating Liverpool 2-1 in the FA Cup, 1957-58 and young Rovers fans celebrate a goal in front of a packed Darwen End. Attendance 51,000. A week earlier, we had drawn with them in a league encounter, also at Ewood, in front of 41,789. 

Hooligans and scum!!!!!!

Why can't they just sit and give a mild applause like civilised people? Aaaaaarrrrrgh!!!!!

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

The lad on the left would have been in trouble when he got home - look at the state of his wellies.

😂😂😂

😆😆 Yet the lad to the right, his shoes are remarkably clean. There’s loads to look at in the photo. The next lad to the right, both his feet are off the ground, the rattle, the laughter on the face of the lad under ‘dirty wellies lad’s’ armpit, the bloke by ‘rattle lad’s’ left elbow not looking happy at all (surely a Liverpool fan), something in the air at the back of the Darwen End against the sky and the copper just taking it all in.

And what would Swag say about 93k coming through the Ewood turnstiles in 7 days? He’d deny it ever happened. Wonder if Venky’s have ever seen a photo like this and if they know such crowds were possible in those days?

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

😆😆 Yet the lad to the right, his shoes are remarkably clean. There’s loads to look at in the photo. The next lad to the right, both his feet are off the ground, the rattle, the laughter on the face of the lad under ‘dirty wellies lad’s’ armpit, the bloke by ‘rattle lad’s’ left elbow not looking happy at all (surely a Liverpool fan), something in the air at the back of the Darwen End against the sky and the copper just taking it all in.

And what would Swag say about 93k coming through the Ewood turnstiles in 7 days? He’d deny it ever happened. Wonder if Venky’s have ever seen a photo like this and if they know such crowds were possible in those days?

There is something quite evocative about black and white photographs Mark. For our generation it brings back so many memories as there weren't too many people carrying cameras like now so seeing one like this was rare.

As you say the Health and Safety police would have a fit seeing something like this.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Upside Down said:

Hooligans and scum!!!!!!

Why can't they just sit and give a mild applause like civilised people? Aaaaaarrrrrgh!!!!!

16 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

And one sensible copper to control the lot.

28 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

when i was younger,every policeman was 6 foot tall,4 foot wide and looked extremely menacing,have they stopped the minimum height restrictions???

Ages ago! 

There are no minimum or maximum height requirements to join the police force. There are no formal educational requirements for recruitment to the police service, but applicants must take two written tests to ensure they have a reasonable standard of English, as well as a numeracy test.
Edited by DeeCee

On 29/03/2022 at 18:39, Claytons Left Boot said:

Shamelessly nicked from a Blackburn Facebook site. I think I’ve more or less got the players correct. The keeper is certainly Harry Leyland and, with the style of kit, it has to be 1960-61.

Clayton, Leyland, McGrath?, Woods, Douglas, Dobing?

Not 100% sure on Dobing. I initially thought MacLeod.

F890F98E-C054-4E8F-9179-4FE780C4AA3A.jpeg

Ronnie, Harry Leyland, Mick McGrath, Matt Woods, Roy Isherwood ?, Bryan Douglas.

That’s not like Ronnie. My image of him is sprinting out of the tunnel with the tan ball tucked underneath his arm and then booting the ball high into the air.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DeeCee said:

Ages ago! 

There are no minimum or maximum height requirements to join the police force. There are no formal educational requirements for recruitment to the police service, but applicants must take two written tests to ensure they have a reasonable standard of English, as well as a numeracy test.

It would have been the 80s when they were scrapped. The only UK force that continued them was the City of London Police. Probably related to being able to see over large crowds or something. I doubt they will still able to impose those requirements these days.

• 2 weeks later...

Ewood Mill, which used to be on the other side of Bolton Road, once you exit Ewood from the Blackburn End and where McDonald’s now is. You can also see the top of the ‘triangle’ where the old Blue & White Supporters Club used to be. Dated 1950. Also, the Fox & Hounds pub, bottom right.

F156881B-077C-4F5A-BC3E-3F9C74DB2F76.jpeg

Edited by Claytons Left Boot
  • Like 4