BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Just now, Richard Oakley said:

Mowbray has lost in the Championship Final as manager of West Brom. So he has blown it, by your reckoning. Won the division the season after, a feat I tip Brentford to repeat. His Middlesborough sides never made it into the playoffs.

I see nothing to indicate that we will finish high enough to worry about Mowbray blowing it.

Part of the problem with Frank, both him personally and his admirers, is that they wax lyrical about his "success" before he's actually achieved any.

• Like 1

Just now, Blue blood said:

Let me get this straight. You are criticising Brentford who finished multiple places ahead of us and with a lot more points? 

You are criticising a team for getting in the playoffs which we didn't do at all, and for narrowly missing out on automatic promotion which we were nowhere near?

You are criticising them for bottling it where we fluffed it to get into the playoffs on numerous occasions? 

You are criticising them for buying a keeper who made a couple of mistakes when TM brought in a keeper who dropped clanger after clanger? 

Talk about double standards. 

I'm criticising them for bottling it, yes - I would imagine that throughout the professional game there will be people with their doubts bout Frank after what happened.

I think the keeper made more than just a couple of errors - including a bad one when it mattered most.

2 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Part of the problem with Frank, both him personally and his admirers, is that they wax lyrical about his "success" before he's actually achieved any.

Your dear leader on Brentford before we played them in February this year 'we’re mindful of what a good team they are, what good individuals they have and how good their recruitment has been.'

Edited by Ewood Ace

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

I'm criticising them for bottling it, yes - I would imagine that throughout the professional game there will be people with their doubts bout Frank after what happened.

You know if that's how high your standards are then ok but it does seem a tad hypocritical given how much we have botched it.  More to the point if that is your standard then not sure how you defend TM so much given he falls way below what Frank and Brentford have done. Again it seems double standards.

I think the keeper made more than just a couple of errors - including a bad one when it mattered most.

Really? Generally the reports from Brentford have been pretty positive. And Raya has made nowhere near as many errors as the clown we've had in net. I think your ire at calamity keepers may be better suited to closer to home. 

7 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Raya was beaten by a wonderstrike of a free kick from 40 odd yards out and from close range after Fulham 1-2ed their way through the heart of the defence. Brentford managed to pull a goal back.

Going forward Raya will adjust where he stands for free kicks and Goode was brought in to stop people doing the waltz. Brentford addressing their needs. Have we addressed any of ours?

Edited by Richard Oakley

Raya was beaten by a wonderstrike of a free kick from 40 odd yards out and from close range after Fulham 1-2ed there way through the heart of the defence. They managed to pull a goal back.

Going forward Raya will adjust where he stands for free kicks and Goode was brought in to stop people doing the waltz. Brentford addressing their needs. Have we addressed any of ours?

You are just as much on the wind up as he is.

A wonderstrike? Any professional player worth his salt would have put that one in the back of the net given how much of it he could see and how far Raya was from his line.

Always with the dramatics 

• Like 1

Just now, Blue blood said:

You know if that's how high your standards are then ok but it does seem a tad hypocritical given how much we have botched it.  More to the point if that is your standard then not sure how you defend TM so much given he falls way below what Frank and Brentford have done. Again it seems double standards.

Really? Generally the reports from Brentford have been pretty positive. And Raya has made nowhere near as many errors as the clown we've had in net. I think your ire at calamity keepers may be better suited to closer to home. 

I defend TM rather less than you might imagine. My principal points regarding him are that 1. The owners' track record on recruitment suggests he is as good as they will go for, 2. In demand managers will not be attracted to working for Venky's. To add to that we now have the significant likelihood of there being little or no funds for the manager to spend making the job even less attractive. There is also the issue of the cost of moving on the management team.

I defend TM rather less than you might imagine. My principal points regarding him are that 1. The owners' track record on recruitment suggests he is as good as they will go for, 2. In demand managers will not be attracted to working for Venky's. To add to that we now have the significant likelihood of there being little or no funds for the manager to spend making the job even less attractive. There is also the issue of the cost of moving on the management team.

Just remind me again why we have no funds.

Raya was beaten by a wonderstrike of a free kick from 40 odd yards out and from close range after Fulham 1-2ed their way through the heart of the defence. Brentford managed to pull a goal back.

The "wonderstrike" came about as a result of a fundamental flaw in Raya's positioning for a set-piece - something which the Fulham management team had spotted but was beyond the ken of Frank and his people at Brentford.

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

You are just as much on the wind up as he is.

A wonderstrike? Any professional player worth his salt would have put that one in the back of the net given how much of it he could see and how far Raya was from his line.

Always with the dramatics 

Yes. Still had to hit the target. Scott Parker had him practice until he'd nailed it again and again. Parker did a fantastic job preparing for that game.

There's this thing called Covid 19 which is causing some issues.

Nothing to do with the fact that they have given your dear leader over £15 Million in the last 2 years and seen very little return for it, which in turn has pushed us close to the brink in terms of FFP.  Also we had no money to spend in January and Covid wasn't an issue then.

Edited by Ewood Ace

21 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Of his signings for fees the only ones we will see a profit from are those two. Is that really acceptable out of around 15 cash buys that he has made? Not for me but I know that your standards are very low.

I wouldn't want to argue that Mowbray's record is any better than mixed, but not sure that's the best way of measuring success and failure. Spending a few hundred grand on the L1 players did it's job as we got promoted first time. Others could easily fetch a decent profit a year or two down the line. How much would we have got for Armstrong last year? Small profit maybe, but much less than what we should expect now. Nothing to say that Davenport or Rothwell (accept that he's not as young as Armstrong) could put millions on their value after a strong 6 months. 

Put another way, I don't think the players brought in from Big Sam or Souness would have delivered profits given how much they spent and the age of some of their better signings. TM's successes easily pay for our cash buys which are almost all very small beer apart from the two big exceptions in Brereton & Gally. Obviously they're a different kettle of fish. 

• Like 3