BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

11 minutes ago, TruRover said:

doubt this is anything rovers related but we haven’t got much else to go atm so thought I might stick it in here. Dack just posted a cryptic story on his instagram with the caption ‘good news today...?

maybe a new contract? 

Olivia is bringing her mate home for a three way?

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, TruRover said:

doubt this is anything rovers related but we haven’t got much else to go atm so thought I might stick it in here. Dack just posted a cryptic story on his instagram with the caption ‘good news today...?

maybe a new contract? 

Maybe been given the go-ahead to resume full training?

I am assuming here that, to date, he's still not been able to resume full contact training yet as I don't actually know.

• Like 1

On 19/08/2020 at 08:54, Kamy100 said:

There is very little money to spend.  I have heard that Venky's will continue to fund the club (to meet current liabilities) but they want to reduce overheads as much as they can with money spent on transfers being one of the key cost reduction areas, even if we sell players, some of that money will be used to reduce overheads.  

This has been coming for a few years, there had to come a time when the Venky's made the decision to reduce spending, the hope is that they can transition to this new model of working in a controlled way but I very much doubt that will happen as I have little or no faith in the executive structure at Ewood to be able to successfully manage such a transition.

If this is accurate - and anyone capable of reading the runes would agree that it is - we are a depreciating asset.

If Venkys no longer feel that we are worth investing in, probably for a varied, curent and historical combination of reasons, then it seems we will be run as a going concern with a view to eventual removal from their portfolio. That is my view.

I honestly can't see the club disappearing from view but the basis upon which the club was initially purchased seems to have shifted somewhat and the prevailing question: 'What are they doing here?' is about to be answered. The saddest aspect of Kamy's analysis is that the club cannot be run remotely as the decision-makers have been appointed on the basis that they are not trusted - and therefore capable and/or trustoworthy enough - to make the calls that need to be made in order for the club to thrive or survive.

We've been stumbling along the train tracks wondering if the light we can see is the end of the tunnel or an express train. I think this season we are about to find out...?

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, TruRover said:

maybe a new contract? 

My thoughts were that he is just returning to full training. The photo along with it was weird though. Looked sort of like a train, but no train I've ever been on.

13 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Put another way, I don't think the players brought in from Big Sam or Souness would have delivered profits given how much they spent and the age of some of their better signings. TM's successes easily pay for our cash buys which are almost all very small beer apart from the two big exceptions in Brereton & Gally. Obviously they're a different kettle of fish. 

The difference is under Sam and for most of the time under Souness the club was in the top flight and the club was in a financially sound position. Now we are a mid table second tier team who are a financial mess. If the club is going to just keep their finances as they are, comply with FFP and improve the team, then we are going to need to sell a player for decent money every summer. It's what most clubs in this league do.

As long as Souness' and Allardyce's signings were coming in a contributing to us staying in the Premier League then they were paying for themselves. Players coming in and keeping us mid table in the Championship and not increasing their value are only costing the club money.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Nothing to do with the fact that they have given your dear leader over £15 Million in the last 2 years and seen very little return for it, which in turn has pushed us close to the brink in terms of FFP.  Also we had no money to spend in January and Covid wasn't an issue then.

Apparently we had a 1 million transfer budget in January but Mowbray decided not to spend it(according to Rich Sharpe anyway )

5 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Our foreign market scouting network seem to have stopped at Germany and only Germany. Every name I’m getting is a German division player - most pretty unheard of 

Even if you have heard of them...

HSV defender linked with Rovers had a 1 year extension in his contract but this was turned down BY THE CLUB!

Very poor reputation amongst the Hamburg fans.

1 hour ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

I'd love to know what people would have said about Mowbray if we had blown the opportunity to get promotion in the regular season the way Brentford did followed by a goalkeeper on which millions had been spent presenting the opposition with a gift to lose the play off final.

As long as he'd given it a good go the reaction would have been mostly positive. If it was his meek and mild tip tap stuff with players out of position and someone dropped for Bennett hindering the side he'd have got stick, quite rightly.

I don't know whether you noticed but we bottled it after ONE game back after lockdown under no pressure, no fans and absolutely nothing to lose. Never mind what Brentford did that's their problem they are more than good enough to learn from it and bounce back.

Play offs are a lottery and bring their own fear of failure.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

The difference is under Sam and for most of the time under Souness the club was in the top flight and the club was in a financially sound position. Now we are a mid table second tier team who are a financial mess. If the club is going to just keep their finances as they are, comply with FFP and improve the team, then we are going to need to sell a player for decent money every summer. It's what most clubs in this league do.

As long as Souness' and Allardyce's signings were coming in a contributing to us staying in the Premier League then they were paying for themselves. Players coming in and keeping us mid table in the Championship and not increasing their value are only costing the club money.

Completely fair enough, and Gally & Brereton have been gambles we haven't been able to afford on their showings so far. 

My point is that turning the 2.5 million or whatever it was on Dack & Arma into worth about 10 times that is Hughes-esque & exactly what we need for a club in our position, and not making profits (yet - important point when some are well placed to improve) on some of the other players we've paid 50k, 100k, 200k for is acceptable in that context. 

Nice bit of analysis that @JoeH

Im not generally a statto, but there’s some really interesting stuff in there. The heat maps and formations support my theory that we expect a hell of a lot of Nyambe. Brereton’s are damning as you’d expect.

I genuinely wonder if the analysis done by the recruitment team is as good as this. I have my doubts. The goalkeeper situation last summer was ludicrous, but looks like it could be even worse this year! When Mowbray talks about players falling into our laps, has a tendency to sign players he has worked with before, and we make complete head scratchers like Brereton, the entire process needs a serious overhaul.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Im not generally a statto, but there’s some really interesting stuff in there. The heat maps and formations support my theory that we expect a hell of a lot of Nyambe. Brereton’s are damning as you’d expect.

I genuinely wonder if the analysis done by the recruitment team is as good as this. I have my doubts. The goalkeeper situation last summer was ludicrous, but looks like it could be even worse this year! When Mowbray talks about players falling into our laps, has a tendency to sign players he has worked with before, and we make complete head scratchers like Brereton, the entire process needs a serious overhaul.

Most credit must go to Andy Watson who's the mastermind the project, I just helped him present it and put the data together in a graphically pleasing way! Much appreciated.

15 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Timid manager whose first concern is protecting the status quo, so he's reluctant to step out of the comfort zone of signing guys he knows or his mates know or known agents present. It's served him ok till recently but he's beginning to get seriously found out now.

Take that formula away and it looks like he doesn't know which way to turn.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

Just now, tomphil said:

Timid manager whose first concern is protecting the status quo, so he's reluctant to step out of the comfort zone of signing guys he knows or his mates know or known agents present. It's served him ok till recently but he's beginning to get seriously found out now.

If I had time, I would go back and look at ALL the transfers he has made throughout his career as manager. I would bet that he has a similar strike rate as to here. 2 or 3 standouts and the rest shite. 

Its the cost of the shite ones that does it though. Great, you got Dack and Armstrong in on superb deals, why cant we have more of that? Yet he spunks 12 million fckin quid on strikers to play on the wing. What a good manager could have done with that 12 million? Could have found two better strikers for half that money and spent the rest on defence. 

• Like 1

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/keiren-westwood-sheffield-wednesday-championship-18802356.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Even if he is close to being 36, I would definitely take him here. Maybe with someone like a Pears type ready to take over. Either way, all for someone of that type of experience. Main worry would be thats hes not played north of 20 games in any of the last 3 seasons.

• Like 3