BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Ton Lockyer has a clause in his contract that allows him to leave for free upon Charltons relegation. Has been drawing interest from the Championship. Whether he is good enough for a team with supposed play off intentions who need to replace Adarabioyo, unsure about that, I think we would need an Ayala or Van Der Hoorn to adequately replace him, but Lockyer could be worth a look for a club on a budget, impressed at Charlton in spite of their relegation and has been capped 10 times by Wales.

You have mentioned that there are players under a million, but are any of them players good enough for the Championship, never mind a club wanting top 6? And a club who have just lost Adarabioyo? Moore is unwanted by Bristol City and was loaned to League 1. Willis is a league 1 player, Sunderlands best defender was Bailey Wright who was available on a free, again who probably isnt Championship top half material. Van Aken was unwanted by Sheffield Wednesday. And Moore, why didnt he play that often for League 1 Oxford? We need better than these players.

Hopefully there are some bargains across Europe.

The other avenue would be the free agent market as I said. It may mean signing a player at the higher end of the wage bill (somewhat offset by a lack of fee) but someone like Ayala and Van Der Hoorn would also bring leadership and experience to a squad which has lost the likes of Graham and Downing. If we was to get one of the 2 CBs on loan, I think there surely are far better options compared to Lindsay. Maybe someone like Miazga who did well on loan at Reading?

With little money, I think it puts more emphasis on thinking outside the box.

Would they not be expiry date to when thats clause would run out on Lockyer's contract? 

Moore wasn't unwanted at all but he wanted to play regular first team football instead of not playing. 

How much of Sunderland did you actually see? 

Van Aken was unwanted by a previous manager not by the current manager Gary Monk. 

Moore played 35 times for Oxford United last season. Hardly not much is it? 

Also I couldn't care less if he is playing for his current club or not. If he the ability to play for us, fits the player profile we want, within our football budget and will improve the team. This is where good scouting comes to the front and hopefully we will sign the right players for us. Yes they are some good bargains around Europe 

any idea on the wages Ayala and Van Der Hoorn would want or was at their previous clubs? 

Can't see Miazga being a option for us due to the likehood of wages at Chelsea would be well out of reach.  

33 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Would they not be expiry date to when thats clause would run out on Lockyer's contract? 

Moore wasn't unwanted at all but he wanted to play regular first team football instead of not playing. 

How much of Sunderland did you actually see? 

Van Aken was unwanted by a previous manager not by the current manager Gary Monk. 

Moore played 35 times for Oxford United last season. Hardly not much is it? 

Also I couldn't care less if he is playing for his current club or not. If he the ability to play for us, fits the player profile we want, within our football budget and will improve the team. This is where good scouting comes to the front and hopefully we will sign the right players for us. Yes they are some good bargains around Europe 

any idea on the wages Ayala and Van Der Hoorn would want or was at their previous clubs? 

Can't see Miazga being a option for us due to the likehood of wages at Chelsea would be well out of reach.  

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/exclusive-tom-lockyer-activates-release-clause-at-charlton-athletic/

Here is an article on Lockyers clause.

I am not necessarily saying that Lockyer would solve our defensive woes but considering our limited budget, I think hes worth a look on a free agent.

No idea on either of those wages but I am just saying that as free agents who are both proven operators at the top of this league with the sort of defensive ability and leadership that we would love, I hope we have at least looked at whether we can get the numbers to work.

The names you mentioned are not players that you would associate with a Championship promotion challenger. Moore was well down the pecking order at Bristol City. And im guessing that you arent a regular watcher of Sunderland (or Oxford) either. None of those 4 players would fill me with hope that they have the calibre to replace Adarabioyo. With limited money we will need to show more ambition and perhaps more creativity than that.

34 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/exclusive-tom-lockyer-activates-release-clause-at-charlton-athletic/

Here is an article on Lockyers clause.

I am not necessarily saying that Lockyer would solve our defensive woes but considering our limited budget, I think hes worth a look on a free agent.

No idea on either of those wages but I am just saying that as free agents who are both proven operators at the top of this league with the sort of defensive ability and leadership that we would love, I hope we have at least looked at whether we can get the numbers to work.

The names you mentioned are not players that you would associate with a Championship promotion challenger. Moore was well down the pecking order at Bristol City. And im guessing that you arent a regular watcher of Sunderland (or Oxford) either. None of those 4 players would fill me with hope that they have the calibre to replace Adarabioyo. With limited money we will need to show more ambition and perhaps more creativity than that.

So there is expiry clause then like I thought they would be. 

Would you have said last summer that a defence of Semi Ajayi and Kyle Bartley would be good enough to finish second in this league? of course you wouldn't done

Or that Ben White would have performance so well for Leeds based on half a season at Peterborough the season before and full season the season before at Newport county he is now having bids of 25 million turned down for him? Of course you wouldn't

Or that Cardiff would have performed better without their big summer signing Flint which cost 6 million pounds from Boro in having Morrison and Nelson at centre back? of course you wouldn't 

I gave you 4 possible players who in my opinion would fit our football budget in terms for transfer fees and wages and all very realistic to bring in. 

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

So there is expiry clause then like I thought they would be. 

Would you have said last summer that a defence of Semi Ajayi and Kyle Bartley would be good enough to finish second in this league? of course you wouldn't done

Or that Ben White would have performance so well for Leeds based on half a season at Peterborough the season before and full season the season before at Newport county he is now having bids of 25 million turned down for him? Of course you wouldn't

Or that Cardiff would have performed better without their big summer signing Flint which cost 6 million pounds from Boro in having Morrison and Nelson at centre back? of course you wouldn't 

So we should purposely aim to sign players who havent previously shown that they are capable of performing at the level we need?  

Im not saying that players either well down the pecking order and nowhere near the first team at Championship clubs who finished lower than us (Lindsay, Moore, Van Aken) or League 1 players (Willis and Moore) would definitely be bad signings, there are exceptions and sometimes reasons why they are where they are but I think it would be fair to be personally underwhelmed should any of those players be the answer to replacing Adarabioyo. Should the likes of Ayala and Van Der Hoorn be unobtainable (players with proven track record) or maybe Lockyer at a push then I would suggest that Mowbray would be best served thinking outside the box slightly. As he seems to have done with the goalkeeper. Whether that is a success ot a failure, only time will tell.

As an aside, quite a few people on this messageboard wanted Ajayi here last year. Nelson has done really well at Cardiff who treat organisation and defending with much more priority and respect than Mowbray does here. Thats going to be the key. Its going to take some pragmatism from Mowbray. And White, all I can say is that Bielsa is a genius!

I hope we get in a defender or 2 this week to give them time to bed in. Also a shame that Kaminski will be unable to train until a few days before the Bournemouth game.

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

I'm not saying that players either well down the pecking order and nowhere near the first team at Championship clubs who finished lower than us (Lindsay, Moore, Van Aken) or League 1 players (Willis and Moore) would definitely be bad signings, there are exceptions and sometimes reasons why they are where they are but I think it would be fair to be personally underwhelmed should any of those players be the answer to replacing Adarabioyo. Should the likes of Ayala and Van Der Hoorn be unobtainable (players with proven track record) or maybe Lockyer at a push then I would suggest that Mowbray would be best served thinking outside the box slightly. As he seems to have done with the goalkeeper. Whether that is a success or a failure, only time will tell.

How is signing a keeper from Belgium club thinking outside the box when we have been putting this European scouting network in place for the past 12 months?

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Also a shame that Kaminski will be unable to train until a few days before the Bournemouth game.

well it will be interested to see if he has quarantine or not. Liverpool don't have to after they come back from Austria after applying to the FA not to do so. 

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

How is signing a keeper from Belgium club thinking outside the box when we have been putting this European scouting network in place for the past 12 months?

well it will be interested to see if he has quarantine or not. Liverpool don't have to after they come back from Austria after applying to the FA not to do so. 

By thinking outside the box, I mean with limited funds, signing a player for a very low fee would rarely be enough to get you a top 6 quality Championship player if sourced from England. Exceptions of course exist. Not that we know if Kaminski is or not. But my point is, for what youd get for a few hundred grand in England, probably an unwanted player or someone from the lower leagues, it is perhaps worth risking a purchase from overseas, picking the best of the free agent market or if all else fails, getting a maximum of one or two high quality loans. 

Thomas Kaminski will not be permitted to even train at Brockhall for the next two weeks. He's eligible for Bournemouth but will Mowbray play him given he'd have trained for a few days with the team? Who knows.

15 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Thomas Kaminski will not be permitted to even train at Brockhall for the next two weeks. He's eligible for Bournemouth but will Mowbray play him given he'd have trained for a few days with the team? Who knows.

Hopefully a domestic backup keeper will arrive soon then, a bit risky just to have Eastham and Fisher around.

27 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Given our lack of options in this area do you think Big T will enforce the '6 months to learn how we play/become one of the lads/be Eliot Bennett' rule or will he go straight in for the Bournemouth game?

• Like 1

So we are on course to start the season with a rookie kid between the sticks ?

Quarantine etc can't be helped but unless we get someone else in i'll stress again it's a very poor show from the management.

Hopefully this lad settles in quickly and everyone gives him a chance.

15 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Yes Chaddy, I 1,000,000% would have.

Seen both play a lot and very much knew they were a top 6 defence partnership.

Ajayi stood out in that Rotherham side. Would have been a great purchase for sensible money.

Just like Kipre would be this year.  

I just don't get the penny pinching with defenders.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, tomphil said:

So we are on course to start the season with a rookie kid between the sticks ?

Quarantine etc can't be helped but unless we get someone else in i'll stress again it's a very poor show from the management.

Hopefully this lad settles in quickly and everyone gives him a chance.

Or maybe we'll have a domestic back up keeper signed for free or on loan by the start of the season too and he can play the first couple of games...