BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Just now, Mike E said:

Thinking aloud:

'Not clear on budget' doesn't mean he doesn't know his minimum.

Eg: Has £2m-£5m to spend. Needs clarity on exactly where the budget lies but can definitely spend £2m.

*Figures entirely hypothetical to explain the point.

Could simply be they are assuming or have been told the wages budget will be similar minus a couple of big earners so any other headroom he creates from lesser paid leaving he can use however he wants.

Money for transfers or money left over in the kitty from an overall budget for transfers is a different matter as i reckon there won't be any.

27 minutes ago, JHRover said:

That lad from Doncaster won't be on 10% of that so adding his wages onto the books will be manageable. In terms of fee perhaps Donny will take anything right now to raise cash.

Believe it when I see it. I certainly won't be getting excited. Sounds like another Davenport to me.

5k at Donny...on a completly different level to Davenport.  Club captain of League 1 side at 22,  I'd go as far to say the best midfielder in league 1 and potentially a big improvement on evans etc.

I'd say between 7 and 10k will get him on a long contract with incentives.

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Secondly, we might have had half a dozen or so Academy / Development players on 'the grass' at some point over the last couple of games but like you, I would question if they really are good enough.  Most of them are 20 going on 21 and I think a couple or so are even older.  You look back over the years and the 'big players' broke through in their teens  Butch Wilkins captained Chelsea at 17, Rooney, Mbappe, Alexander-Arnold, Declan Rice  and more recently Reece James at Chelsea.  And before anyone throws their toys out of their pram, let me make it clear, ability is relative to the level you are at.   I do not think for one moment our younger players should be playing in Champions League or World cup Finals but at their age, if they were good enough, they should have battered down the first team door and become regulars at Championship Level. I think Alexander-Arnold and Rice have already clocked up 100 first team appearances or so at just 21 years of age. 

Lenihan is no longer a youngster and at 26, I think he's found his level. 

Travis is a decent Championship player at the moment with room to go but the lad is almost 23 and still nowhere near 100 appearances,

Nyambe is 22 and as far as I'm concerned, his development is being held back by Mowbray's mismanagement. 

Rankin-Costello I think has just turned 21 and his first team appearances are still in single figures - could become a decent Championship player but no more, IMO.

Carter 20 is no Phil Jones and doesn't look good enough to be a first team regular

Buckley 20 is, IMO, as you say, ineffective and too weak

Have seen the rest of our younger at their respective levels and, IMO, there is only one who really excites me and who looks like he may have some star quality and that's Jack Vale.  

Like I've posted before, our Academy is NOT producing the 'big players' for us - the David Dunns, Damien Duffs and the Phil Jones's.  I think the rest, in the main, are much of a muchness ability wise - average.  IMO, it needs looking at. 

Plenty of players there, so I'm not going to argue that all of the young lads who are getting time are necessarily going to cut the mustard. Balance of probability at least a couple wont. 

Even so, players develop at different rates and I wouldn't be overly concerned about players not having bags of appearances at 20/21. Paul Scholes was only in and out of the team at 20/21, and only became a key player a number of years later. Others obviously make their mark earlier, but loads of good players only begin to mature in their early 20s.

I think it would be a problem, for example if Travis would not be in the team when he turns 23, but instead he's arguably our best player at 22. Lenihan too, even if he isn't going to improve much more is clearly amongst our best and most valuable players. Maybe that in itself is a problem! But should we make those available for other clubs there wouldn't be a shortage of suitors at the top end of the division, in the case of Travis possibly even the bottom end of the Prem.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Stop with the superfan, have patience crap please. Im just pointing out that Carter was out of his depth last night and if you were being realistic, you would admit that. Did I say that he will never make it? No. But is he ready to be playing a major role at this time? Absolutely not so why pretend otherwise. 

what superfan crap? Its your typical boring response when I comment on you being over critical comments on young players which you have done constantly on here

I don't think Carter was out of depth. He made some mistakes granted but he has some good points also. He would be part of next season squad IMO. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

We need to focus on players that can actually bloody defend for once. Not that Mowbray has interest or now resources in fixing it. Is Rankin Costello an attacking threat anyway? Doesnt really run at players, not the quickest, and his crossing has been poor so far. He hasnt been been too bad but you certainly wouldnt want him at full back on the first day of next season. That being said, hes a winger so we wont know fully until he plays there. Nyambe at least can defend even if he has not developed as much as he could have. Converting wingers into full backs probably wont aid fixing our forever flimsy defence.

Its just the same usual cliches. I will be patient but I can also be constructively critical on a messageboard when evaluating player performances. If I dont think a player is ready yet, very fair with Carter, then I will say. Rankin Costello im sure will be around the squad, not sure which way that one will go yet, a big worry is that Mowbray makes him a utility man. Buckley I think has a blocked path at the moment. No good sticking him wide. Beyond that, which academy players are banging on the door? Guessing not many if they werent played even in the 2 dead rubbers. 

And pedantics aside, Mowbray is clearly in the dark about his budget and it doesnt look good. Venkys always cause delays at this time because they dont give a shit. Get the excuses out, its how they work, its tough in India with the pandemic, they have other businesses bla bla bla. If you want to go ahead as if everything is normal, pester away at journalists etc, fair play to you.

Nyambe can defend but isn't good enough going forward. Look at how many good ball and crosses Rankin Costello he put in yesterday. someone pointed this out in the match thread before.. I think he would be very good option for the right back slot. 

On Academy players banging on the door? Jack Vale is one. They will be more from the under 18's who will play for under 23's this season. If we are going to bring more youth through then fans have to understand this and not expect finish articles. 

You mention Buckley playing wide but our wide players don't play wide then drift inside into the 10 roles like Holtby and Rothwell did last night. The full back provide the width in the team 

53 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

No but he was specifically asked about it and said hes had no clarity and hes not even in a position to offer contracts.

So unless hes lied and it was a ploy to keep transfers under wraps having had his budget confirmed by our newly proactive owners then I personally doubt any transfer business is imminent.

Mowbray has said he hasn't full clarity which would suggest he has a good idea what his budget is but not been fully confirm yet? 

Edited by chaddyrovers

3 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

5k at Donny...on a completly different level to Davenport.  Club captain of League 1 side at 22,  I'd go as far to say the best midfielder in league 1 and potentially a big improvement on evans etc.

is he a passing midfield or ball winning or box to box type of midfielder? 

Now the hard work begins and a lot of work is needed if we are to be even challengers for the top 6.

Firstly I would not be giving new contracts to any of the out of contract players. Of the players at the club the key ones are Nyambe, Lenihan, Travis, Dack, Armstrong. They are the players who a side capable of competing for at least the top 6 should be build upon. If one of those had to be sold to balance the books then the one I would be least worried about losing would be Travis if we could get £6-8 Million for him. But hopefully we don't have to sell any of them.

Of those of players that are contracted for next season.

Bennett- Get rid or if we can't get anyone to take him then give him the Smallwood treatment.
Bell & Williams- They are much of a muchness really. Keep one as back up at left back and try to get shot of the other one. Bell came here with a bit of a reputation and Williams is an international, surely there must be a taker out there for one of them.
Mulgrew- If we can't find a buyer then pay him off & if he won't take that then tell him he won't be playing football for a year.
Johnson- Hasn't been in shape all season which makes me question his commitment. He still has the ability to play at this level but does he have the appetite to. The manager needs to ask him does he want to get himself fit and be playing for us or would he rather find somewhere closer to home.
Evans- Well no one is going to buy him as you simply cannot rely on him so we'd just as well use him as a squad option for the centre of midfield. 
Davenport- Honestly I cannot give an opinion on a player that has never started a game for us. Would have liked to have seen more of him in the final weeks of the season to form an opinion.
Chapman-Needs to be used more. I don't see him as a regular starter but he brings things to the team that we otherwise lack and over the course of a season he will contribute.
Rankin-Costello- The only player to have stepped up to the first team who has looked capable at this level. I personally think that he would be better playing further forward than Full back though.
Rothwell & Holtby- I like both of them and I think both are better than they have shown but are victims of the managers 'style'. If when Dack is back we go back to playing 4-2-3-1 then the prospect of Holtby on the right, Dack in the middle and Rothwell on the left is to me quite an exciting one.
Brereton & Gallagher- What to do with these two. I cannot see anyone taking either of our hands so it is up to the manager to get the best out of them. I personally think Gallagher is the more likely to contribute more next season.

The positions that we should be looking strengthen are 2 goalkeepers, a back up right back, 2 Centre backs, a left back, a central midfielder, a natural winger and if we could manage to offload Gallagher or Brereton then another striker. As for the likes of Carter, Buckley and some of the other under 23's, they are well away from being ready for Championship football send them out on loan and let them play men's football on a regular basis. I'd keep Wharton around to use in an emergency as 4th choice centre back.

I'd be playing 4-2-3-1 next season and that would leave the options looking like.

Goalkeeper: 2 New Signings
Right Back: Nyambe, New signing
Centre Back: Lenihan, 2 New signings, Wharton
Left Back: New signing, Bell or Williams

Central Midfield: Travis, Evans, Davenport, New Signing, Johnson

3 Behind Striker: Dack, Holtby, Rothwell, Chapman, Rankin-Costello, New Signing
Striker: Armstrong, Gallagher, Brereton

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

what superfan crap? Its your typical boring response when I comment on you being over critical comments on young players which you have done constantly on here

I don't think Carter was out of depth. He made some mistakes granted but he has some good points also. He would be part of next season squad IMO. 

Nyambe can defend but isn't good enough going forward. Look at how many good ball and crosses Rankin Costello he put in yesterday. someone pointed this out in the match thread before.. I think he would be very good option for the right back slot. 

On Academy players banging on the door? Jack Vale is one. They will be more from the under 18's who will play for under 23's this season. If we are going to bring more youth through then fans have to understand this and not expect finish articles. 

Mowbray has said he hasn't full clarity which would suggest he has a good idea what his budget is but not been fully confirm yet? 

I must admit when I saw the “we’ve not had full clarity” line I did think it appeared that something had moved. As if he’d had an outline budget. Just seemed a bit more focused

49 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Stop with the superfan, have patience crap please. Im just pointing out that Carter was out of his depth last night and if you were being realistic, you would admit that. Did I say that he will never make it? No. But is he ready to be playing a major role at this time? Absolutely not so why pretend otherwise. 

We need to focus on players that can actually bloody defend for once. Not that Mowbray has interest or now resources in fixing it. Is Rankin Costello an attacking threat anyway? Doesnt really run at players, not the quickest, and his crossing has been poor so far. He hasnt been been too bad but you certainly wouldnt want him at full back on the first day of next season. That being said, hes a winger so we wont know fully until he plays there. Nyambe at least can defend even if he has not developed as much as he could have. Converting wingers into full backs probably wont aid fixing our forever flimsy defence.

Its just the same usual cliches. I will be patient but I can also be constructively critical on a messageboard when evaluating player performances. If I dont think a player is ready yet, very fair with Carter, then I will say. Rankin Costello im sure will be around the squad, not sure which way that one will go yet, a big worry is that Mowbray makes him a utility man. Buckley I think has a blocked path at the moment. No good sticking him wide. Beyond that, which academy players are banging on the door? Guessing not many if they werent played even in the 2 dead rubbers. 

And pedantics aside, Mowbray is clearly in the dark about his budget and it doesnt look good. Venkys always cause delays at this time because they dont give a shit. Get the excuses out, its how they work, its tough in India with the pandemic, they have other businesses bla bla bla. If you want to go ahead as if everything is normal, pester away at journalists etc, fair play to you.

What I always find strange in all the talk about youngsters and the academy graduates,  nobody ever mentions Stefan Mols.  Is he still at the club.

I remember him as a 13/14/15 year old and as far as I'm concerned had great potential.   He was just different class to Grayson(they played together at various levels)....He will be 21 now and never been near but captain of the 23s last season i think....

10 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

He'll go from being their captain to having to learn the ropes here ! and with Travis & Evans when fit being first choice and Johnson 3rd we are looking at yet another back up man.

Or of course he'dl be shoed in on the left or something.

• Like 1

The only believable thing about this Ben whiteman tale is that it's a midfielder, the least priority area in terms of recruitment. I hope its bollocks and if we have to suffer another season of Mowbray, he starts off by signing a keeper or two and defenders. 

5 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I must admit when I saw the “we’ve not had full clarity” line I did think it appeared that something had moved. As if he’d had an outline budget. Just seemed a bit more focused

Exactly my point. He has been told an outline of a budget but not total confirm. 

So talks with Mrs D has taken place before yesterday game. 

4 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

What I always find strange in all the talk about youngsters and the academy graduates,  nobody ever mentions Stefan Mols.  Is he still at the club.

I remember him as a 13/14/15 year old and as far as I'm concerned had great potential.   He was just different class to Grayson(they played together at various levels)....He will be 21 now and never been near but captain of the 23s last season i think....

With Mols being 21 years old, I think its time he move on from Rovers as I don't see breaking through here. 

2 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

To be fair chaddy he can sit and spray the ball about, but also has a decent goal record.  Always from outside the box...have a look on YouTube. 

Thanks Sparks for sharing the info. 

I will on a look on Youtube. 

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

If that was a senior player, you would be very critical. I understand that he is a young player, I just think that he is nowhere near ready to be playing Championship football based on what he has shown. If I had written him off totally you might have a point. I just think that it makes sense to loan him out, because he shouldnt be featuring for a Championship side supposedly with promotion in its sights. I dont expect the finished article but equally I am not going to tell you that he looks up to it when I certainly dont think he does.

As a player with a reputation of having a good delivery, I have been disappointed in the crosses from Rankin Costello, albeit he is on his weak side. He put at least two in yesterday straight high into the stand.

Why are converted winger full backs a thing? We only have 2 competent players in the defence/goalkeeping areas, and you are suggesting dropping one for a winger. We have 2 big gaps out wide, if Rankin Costello wants to get into the side, it makes sense to give him a chance there. I am skeptical at the moment as to whether he has the tools but i would like to see him in his natural position. He hasnt let us down or looked out of his depth at all (like Carter) but equally he hasnt really done anything to make me think, wow lets get him in more.

Superfan as in using the "cant wait until next season" line whenever anyone suggests anything other than an optimistic outlook going forward under Mowbray, and a total blanket ban on criticism of young players performances regardless of competence.

Like I said, if you or anyone wants to believe that we have got a plan and that Venkys have suddenly become proactive and interested owners who have been in regular contact regarding a budget, then that is up to you. They never have before, even last year summoning Mowbray to India at the end of a season which was all but over 6 weeks before it actually ended. Throw a pandemic and restrictions of travel into the mix, have they suddenly grasped video calling? I suspect not. Baring in mind that Mowbray also said last night that he is not in as position yet to offer a contract to Downing etc, I think you are looking too much into his quotes.

I suspect that even if there have been chats with Whiteman, it wont come to anything unless he is a replacement for an outgoing Lewis Travis. Spending over a million (which will be more than we spend over the whole summer I suspect) on a central midfielder when we have no contracted goalkeepers and barely any defenders would seem negligent but I suppose unsurprising.

• Like 1

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

I think he was expecting goals from Johnson and midfield in general.  Not enough in my opinion,  a few need moving on.

Totally agree and I was a huge advocate for signing Johnson. He’s been a total fraud for me. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I'm not sure there is a ban on having a meeting.

Just doesnt make any sense to me, considering that the manager said less than 24 hours ago that he isnt even in a position to offer a contract to Downing such is the lack of clarity from the owners. And even then, even for him it would be careless to spend on a midfielder considering what we need the most.

The rumour has been around for a year or so now. Maybe there is a meeting, just seems a bit pointless to me and a bit illogical to have one when there is a big chance that we cant afford him and even if we can, we have no defence or goalkeepers.

If it does end up happening, fair play. Will hold my hands up.

Then it just wont make sense considering his position, or maybe it will with Mowbray signing a cheap loanee in net last minute!