BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/blackburn-rovers-mowbray-budget-transfers-18646217

Utterly depressing. Venkys still havent bothered to give him any indication. But lets be thankful to them eh. They dont give a shit.

He also batted off talk about budgets by deflecting onto those academy players that were on the pitch. Carter certainly isnt the answer, a million miles from being ready. Ive not been overly convinced by Rankin Costello as much as most and who certainly cant play in defence. Buckley? Ineffective and too weak at this moment.

So seemingly its the money blown on strikers in years gone by whilst the defence was neglected that may also cost us. He hasnt fixed the defence and sold our keeper to buy a striker.

At least we took 4 points off Brentford and "should have been 3 up v Leeds." Clutching at straws. We were quite a bit away and if he genuinely thinks that we arent far away, hes a little deluded.

Number of points here.

Firstly, I do not think it is inconceivable that Venky's have sidelined Waggott and have someone working on their behalf to see if they can find a replacement for Mowbray.  The silence is deafening and it would explain a lot - perhaps their confidence in Waggott and Mowbray has gone.  Who that someone may be or who they are looking at is another factor! 

Secondly, we might have had half a dozen or so Academy / Development players on 'the grass' at some point over the last couple of games but like you, I would question if they really are good enough.  Most of them are 20 going on 21 and I think a couple or so are even older.  You look back over the years and the 'big players' broke through in their teens  Butch Wilkins captained Chelsea at 17, Rooney, Mbappe, Alexander-Arnold, Declan Rice  and more recently Reece James at Chelsea.  And before anyone throws their toys out of their pram, let me make it clear, ability is relative to the level you are at.   I do not think for one moment our younger players should be playing in Champions League or World cup Finals but at their age, if they were good enough, they should have battered down the first team door and become regulars at Championship Level. I think Alexander-Arnold and Rice have already clocked up 100 first team appearances or so at just 21 years of age. 

Lenihan is no longer a youngster and at 26, I think he's found his level. 

Travis is a decent Championship player at the moment with room to go but the lad is almost 23 and still nowhere near 100 appearances,

Nyambe is 22 and as far as I'm concerned, his development is being held back by Mowbray's mismanagement. 

Rankin-Costello I think has just turned 21 and his first team appearances are still in single figures - could become a decent Championship player but no more, IMO.

Carter 20 is no Phil Jones and doesn't look good enough to be a first team regular

Buckley 20 is, IMO, as you say, ineffective and too weak

Have seen the rest of our younger at their respective levels and, IMO, there is only one who really excites me and who looks like he may have some star quality and that's Jack Vale.  

Like I've posted before, our Academy is NOT producing the 'big players' for us - the David Dunns, Damien Duffs and the Phil Jones's.  I think the rest, in the main, are much of a muchness ability wise - average.  IMO, it needs looking at. 

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 3

Just now, Mercer said:

Number of points here.

Firstly, I do not think it is inconceivable that Venky's have sidelined Waggott and have someone working on their behalf to see if they can find a replacement for Mowbray.  The noise is deafening and it would explain a lot - perhaps their confidence in Waggott and Mowbray has gone.  Who that someone may be or who they are looking at is another factor! 

Secondly, we might have had half a dozen or so Academy / Development players on 'the grass' at some point over the last couple of games but like you, I would question if they really are good enough.  Most of them are 20 going on 21 and I think a couple or so are even older.  You look back over the years and the 'big players' broke through in their teens  Butch Wilkins captained Chelsea at 17, Rooney, Mbappe, Alexander-Arnold, Declan Rice  and more recently Reece James at Chelsea.  And before anyone throws their toys out of their pram, let me make it clear, ability is relative to the level you are at.   I do not think for one moment our younger players should be playing in Champions League or World cup Finals but at their age, if they were good enough, they should have battered down the first team door and become regulars at Championship Level. I think Alexander-Arnold and Rice have already clocked up 100 first team appearances or so at just 21 years of age. 

Lenihan is no longer a youngster and at 26, I think he's found his level. 

Travis is a decent Championship player at the moment with room to go but the lad is almost 23 and still nowhere near 100 appearances,

Nyambe is 22 and as far as I'm concerned, his development is being held back by Mowbray's mismanagement. 

Rankin-Costello I think has just turned 21 and his first team appearances are still in single figures - could become a decent Championship player but no more, IMO.

Carter 20 is no Phil Jones and doesn't look good enough to be a first team regular

Buckley 20 is, IMO, as you say, ineffective and too weak

Have seen the rest of our younger at their respective levels and, IMO, there is only one who really excites me and who looks like he may have some star quality and that's Jack Vale.  

Like I've posted before, our Academy is NOT producing the 'big players' for us - the David Dunns, Damien Duffs and the Phil Jones's.  I think the rest, in the main, are much of a muchness ability wise - average.  IMO, it needs looking at. 

The academy is proving as much as it should do really. Nyambe and Lenihan obviously broke through 3 or 4 seasons ago now, and Travis last season, under Mowbrays watch. 

You could argue that more of Mowbray's signings should be established around that, and its in the managers recruitment over 3 years, rather than the academy, that is letting the team down. Aside from the above 3, the only other 3 players that I would definitely imagine to start on the opening day would be Dack, Armstrong and Evans. 2 excellent signings and one senior player he inherited and who is forever injured.

Goalkeeper, left back, centre back and both wide positions totally in the air. We shouldnt have to rely on the academy to make up 8 or 9 places, to have 3 key players recently through the academy is a bug success.

Beyond that, even if a couple are regular squad members, thats decent. Rankin Costello is in a position in which we are lacking, out wide. Admittedly from a different position, I am unconvinced that he is going to establish himself like the other 3. Buckley, he is partially a victim of being of a position in which we have covered. The worry is that we become reliant and thus expectant on the academy whereby we are filling positions in which we are lacking with kids whether they are up to it or not. 

There is no relevance in naming all of these world class talents and they just remove the element of constructive criticism within your post. Even with Carter, he looks well off, I agree. But no need for the Jones comparison on top of that, discredits your first point.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Ben Whiteman in for talks tomorrow about a transfer from donny

'Defenders are coming'

Matters not who we buy  with the incompetents in charge  - and until Moanbray is potted only one way we are heading 

• Like 1

Maybe the silence is because Rovers don’t air their laundry in public, even more so in these current times. I am sure there is proper planning in place within the walls of Ewood and there are no leaks like there used to be hence the silence. Today’s transfer market is to be navigated with deception!

4 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Maybe the silence is because Rovers don’t air their laundry in public, even more so in these current times. I am sure there is proper planning in place within the walls of Ewood and there are no leaks like there used to be hence the silence. Today’s transfer market is to be navigated with deception!

They Skype-ing with Pune now then?

11 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

I know, we've been deceived a few times lately.

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

Ben Whiteman in for talks tomorrow about a transfer from donny

This looks like a copy and paste job from last summer.

You said then that he wasn't impressed with Tony & Steve and was signing for Hull because he liked Adkins.

What happened?!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Here’s how I see it playing out...

By the end of this week, a couple of the out of contract players will have left. It will be reported that we are still in discussions with a couple of them. dEfEnDeRs ArE cOmInG.

Next week the rumour mill will start, we will be linked with dozens of players, one of whom will definitely be Ronan Curtis. Then fans will start speculating about who we should sign, tweeting asking everyone with so much as a blog on Twitter if there is “Anything on Marcus Maddison to Rovers?” and it’s quickly accepted he is a target.

Week two - few slightly more concrete links. Tony tells us we have irons in the fire, people chirp up about the overseas scouting network. Dominic Samuel signs for Barnsley.

Week three - we “miss out” on Marcus Maddison and people start getting restless. But don’t worry, talks with Downing are ongoing.

Week four - Another interview from Mowbray. It’s difficult. People are valuing their players too high. We might have to find a gem within our squad and polish them up. Ps. We might have to sell someone.

Week five - everyone getting a bit frantic is told to be patient by the Rovers Twitterati. Loads of time left. It doesn’t matter that we have rotated all the youth goalkeepers in friendlies, the European scouting network is hard at work. Besides Dack/Evans/Davenport/Chapman will be like a new signing! And it’s definitely Brereton’s year.

Week six - Mowbray and his ardent followers point out that we don’t need defenders... we’ve got loads! If anything we have too many centre backs with Lenihan, Williams, Mulgrew, Carter, Magloire, Wharton... even Nyambe can play there! Left backs? Where are we going to find one as good as Joe Rankin Costello?! Anyway, Bell is good back up, and Downing will be signing later this week.

Week seven - Nyambe is sold for £1.75 million plus add ons. For all the uproar, there are as many people claiming this is an amazingly shrewd bit of business by Mowbray as Nyambe was personally and completely liable for 87% of our goals conceded last season and provided zero goals or assists, and Bennett is actually a better full back. Anyway, we can reinvest the money.

No news on Downing, but Leutweiler has signed a one year deal.

The day before the season starts we announce the signing of a goalkeeper nobody has ever seen or heard of on a free. After a quick look on Wikipedia loads of people are suddenly convinced he is miles better than Raya, and know beyond any shadow of a doubt he commands his box well. The modern keeper.

We start the first game with a back four of Bennett, Lenihan, Williams and Bell and concede several goals. It’s ok though, our defence isn’t bad, it’s individual errors. Instead of putting the ball in an open net from 6 yards out, Brereton puts it out for a throw. Because people were shouting so loud at their ifollow screens he heard them, and he couldn’t see properly for the tears in his eyes.

The day before the window shuts we loan in a generic midfielder from a mid table premier league team and stave off bids for Armstrong. Downing signs for Rotherham because how can we compete with teams like that? With 14 minutes to go we bring in Marcus Forss on loan with a pre agreed fee of £9 million. Obviously we pay that in January... but really it’s only about 300 quid cos add ons, structured and flex.

Cue the “Men... character... frustrating... ripped jeans... polish them up... Nyambe is shit” interview from Mowbray and the “it takes years to implement a European scouting network... We’ve actually improved the squad... it could be worse, look at Bolton” comments from a large section of the fan base.

You missed out Platt and Grayson from our very long roster of up and coming centre halves. I'm sorry but I'd swap another John MacNammee for all of them at the moment. Maybe that's the master plan to avoid conceding too many goal - play seven at the back, all centre halves.

He’s pretty highly regarded at Donny and I think has a few years left on his contract so would take a few million to get him. 
Hopefully that’s not our budget for defenders if it goes through!! Would be a good partner for Travis (again hopefully not a replacement)

Edit: My Donny supporting friend tells me he has a £1.5m release clause. Apparently the Peterborough chairman announced that on twitter over Xmas 

Edited by superniko