BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

58 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Yes I thought so. I don't expect Mowbray will have his budget in time for the meetings with players. I've also seen on Instagram that one or two players have holidays booked for the end of the week which suggests they will be off straight after tonight's game.

In terms of those out of contact I'm not going to lose sleep if they depart but expect Mowbray to basically say:

"Sorry lads I can't offer you a deal at the moment, maybe I will in a few weeks but if not you're welcome to come to Brockhall and train until you get a deal elsewhere" is pretty much what I expect. Then Mowbray will offer them new deals if India approves or if we free up some cash to allow it.

Have the EFL decided on FFP rules as of yet for next season?

If they haven't, budget for us to comply with FFP, is a loss of £4m to comply with the £39m loss over 3 seasons.

That equates to player sales and operating savings of £13m to comply.

• Backroom
34 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

28 and playing in the fourth division, finally at his level.

Still hurts my brain to think of how many years we allowed him to stink up our midfield.

Remember when he went on trial at West Brom and a few went ‘AHA told you he was rated’

He ended up getting relegated with Bolton instead 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, phili said:

If they haven't, budget for us to comply with FFP, is a loss of £4m to comply with the £39m loss over 3 seasons.

Or just ignore like other clubs do? 

FFP needs scraping

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Still hurts my brain to think of how many years we allowed him to stink up our midfield.

Bowyer with him was a classic example of a manager who can't or won't see the wood for the trees holding back a team with his over inclusion at all costs. Probably just getting appearances into him hoping he'd become worth a few quid  despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary glaringly obvious to most others.

It also highlights what i keep saying about building a team with genuine top 6 ambitions or being happy to coast along and just try to produce players to sell.  

We are virtually in the same scenario we were back then with another crossroads approaching.

• Like 1

Just catching up on the last 24 hours or so of this thread, and it almost perfectly encapsulates our club under Venky’s.

The expectation that Mowbray and Waggott should manage up is interesting. In an ideal world, this is exactly what you’d expect, and you’d want dialogue between them and the Venky’s to be a two way process...

Unfortunately, Venky’s want slavish obedience as an absolute minimum, and ideally sycophancy. They value this far more than actual competence within a role. As a result, any time we’ve had people in the boardroom or dugout that aren’t just pitifully grateful to be there, they have lasted five minutes.

@Mashed Potatoesmentioning the likes of Hunt is spot on. Look what happened when John Williams dared question them. Lambert quickly realised the situation and wasn’t having it... Time after time this happens. The choice is pretty simple, kowtow or go. To find someone  in either a director or manager role at Ewood who has the right skill set, experience, ability, personality and style to start managing up to people so utterly convinced of their own superiority is a billion to one shot.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, phili said:

Even if they don't relax the rules, no club is going to be able to comply after having no fans for minimum 6 months.

So I don't see why we should worry about that when everyone else will be in a similar position.

Its not as though the rules are enforced in any event. If we do get charged just slap in an appeal which takes 9 months to resolve like it has with Sheff Wed.

I don't see any use to Rovers of making drastic cuts to comply with unenforceable rules and in doing so jeopardise our League status whilst Derby and Forest carry on regardless.

Next up are Bournemouth. They should be nailed big style after their spending to get promoted. But we know nothing will happen.

Last time we cut to comply we ended up with Wes Brown and League One. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Bowyer with him was a classic example of a manager who can't or won't see the wood for the trees holding back a team with his over inclusion at all costs. Probably just getting appearances into him hoping he'd become worth a few quid  despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary glaringly obvious to most others.

It also highlights what i keep saying about building a team with genuine top 6 ambitions or being happy to coast along and just try to produce players to sell.  

We are virtually in the same scenario we were back then with another crossroads approaching.

But still, some people will insist in numerous debates that because (insert manager here) is a professional, they know better. Sorry but sometimes ordinary fans can be right and the professionals wrong.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

I remember a certain ginger who did nothing but sing his praises...

3 year deal for Lowe, blimey, the class of 92 are going to be mightily pissed off when they realise what they've got for their money - the antithesis of the open attacking football they were once a part of.

Anyone got the infamous Brentford clip where he bursts from midfield with intent but freezes and runs the ball out of play?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Also to think how much we paid this guy in wages over the years - probably measured in £millions!

I don't blame Lowe for that, you must look after yourself and you don't look a gift horse in the mouth!

The lad's probably set himself up for life.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Hasta said:

From August, the club has to start paying the employees income tax, NI and pension contributions which were covered under the furlough scheme up until now.

Therefore most of the 20% extra which the club have been paying to the employees will now be paid in tax, NI and pensions. The club aren't saving much money, they just don't want to pay out more from August than they were paying out in July. 

Not saying that's not worrying btw.

I know all that, unless I'm mistaken though that wouldn't have prevented them topping the wages up at the end of July like they had been doing previously if they'd wanted to.

It just struck me they had shifted from a position of being very generous to doing nothing.

August onwards is a different kettle of fish entirely.

24 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Also to think how much we paid this guy in wages over the years - probably measured in £millions!

I don't blame Lowe for that, you must look after yourself and you don't look a gift horse in the mouth!

The lad's probably set himself up for life.

Yes, but roll forward 5 years or more and we're in exactly the same position.

For Lowe read Bennett!

31 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I know all that, unless I'm mistaken though that wouldn't have prevented them topping the wages up at the end of July like they had been doing previously if they'd wanted to.

It just struck me they had shifted from a position of being very generous to doing nothing.

August onwards is a different kettle of fish entirely.

Without knowing what day they are paid and over what period that pay is for it's difficult to judge. I thought you meant they stopped topping it up from the end of July , therefore in August. 

If they were a normal business you can't really complain that a company that was being generous initially had changed strategy as the future landscape became clearer. But then you remember we offered players on big salaries an extra months contract and it all goes out the window.

Edited by Hasta

He captained England Under 21's you know.....

Just goes to show that the model here has always been to try and sell off the youngsters after adding value to them....Problem with Lowe is that he could never increase in value. I guess it all started with Phil Jones, they thought, 'wow, this is a moneymaker, who else we got coming through'. Thats why we had the likes of Hanley, Henley and Lowe pushed into the team before they were anywhere near ready...a big reason why we went down. 

• Like 1

Just now, JacknOry said:

Just goes to show that the model here has always been to try and sell off the youngsters after adding value to them....Problem with Lowe is that he could never increase in value. I guess it all started with Phil Jones, they thought, 'wow, this is a moneymaker, who else we got coming through'. Thats why we had the likes of Hanley, Henley and Lowe pushed into the team before they were anywhere near ready...a big reason why we went down. 

I think Hanley played for us prior to Venkys.

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

Not sure myself but either way, out of the three, he is probably the only one that you could class a success, somewhat. Not quite PL quality though. 

Just now, JacknOry said:

Not sure myself but either way, out of the three, he is probably the only one that you could class a success, somewhat. Not quite PL quality though. 

Correct - he's one of those players who falls in to the category of being good enough to get a club promoted to the PL - but not good enough to keep you there. Think Cairney is the same.

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

Correct - he's one of those players who falls in to the category of being good enough to get a club promoted to the PL - but not good enough to keep you there. Think Cairney is the same.

And I am not against the idea either, its kinda the point of having an academy. The issue is if you are pushing players through too quickly in the hope of hitting the jackpot - where is Henley now? We know where Lowe is...how were these two ever considered good enough for a PL side? 

Edited by JacknOry

Just now, JacknOry said:

And I am not against the idea either, its kinda the point of having an academy. The issue is if you are pushing players through too quickly in the hope of hitting the jackpot - where is Henley now? We know where Lowe is...how were these two ever considered good enough for a PL side? 

To be fair every club - even the biggest - will give games to players who ultimately are not good enough to make it at the appropriate level. I see former Man U player Cameron Borthwick-Johnson is today signing for Oldham.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

I don't disagree, but you could argue that Henley had his best spell when he first found himself in the team! Certainly after Liverpool away, I thought he would end up being a brilliant player. Sadly the contract he was given off the back of those few weeks (I was told about 12k a week, not sure on the truth of it) ended up being a problem for us and the lad further down the line, but he was worth his place in the side after the club binned off the senior right-backs. 

• Like 1

Just now, Admiral Nelsen said:

I don't disagree, but you could argue that Henley had his best spell when he first found himself in the team! Certainly after Liverpool away, I thought he would end up being a brilliant player. Sadly the contract he was given off the back of those few weeks (I was told about 12k a week, not sure on the truth of it) ended up being a problem for us and the lad further down the line, but he was worth his place in the side after the club binned off the senior right-backs. 

Yeah, I might have been harsh with Hanley as I did say he was the best of the three. One that was probably deserving of a place. 

53 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Well he had played for us, he wasn't exactly a regular at that point though. He got one sub appearance in the season before Venkys, and only made 7 league appearances in their first season of ownership. The original point was about pushing players into the team as regulars (implied anyway) and to our detriment. Particularly after the Jones sale. His first season as a regular was the relegation season, right after we had sold Jones.

I always said the biggest on-pitch reasons we went down were Hanley and Lowe getting far more game time than they merited. Obviously that was SK's fault, and he was the main issue in general.

• J*B pinned this topic