BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Let's Talk Tyrhys Dolan

12 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Five years is too long for the club and the player. Nothing is permanent in football and both need more flexibility. Three years maximum. He’s still not my favourite player to be honest and there’s still a lot of weaknesses in his game. If we do somehow get back in the Premier league he’d be one of the ones you’d be looking to replace

You obviously just don't rate the player, but young players who have established themselves with us should be eligible for deals of at least four years. 3 year deals are a bit crap...you need to start thinking of negotiating a new one a year down the line, usually with another payrise. A 5 year deal for a player who can fetch a fee and wouldn't be put on a particularly big wedge at this stage provides a lot of security for the club, and gives us a strong negotiating position if clubs come in for them. Dolan has shown enough for me that I'd be delighted if we put him to a 5 year deal. A 4 year deal would be lovely to hear about too. A 3 year would be fairly disappointing and just kick the problem a bit down the line, at which point it could potentially take a huge pay rise to avoid losing him for free.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Pears shouldn't get a 5 year deal.

Agreed - decision to be made on who gets offered a deal between Kaminski and Pears in summer. The other must be sold for actual money. We can develop a new back up keeper through the academy. 

The Belgian Giant gets a contract if I’m in charge. Pears still looks physically small if you ask me. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, J*B said:

Agreed - decision to be made on who gets offered a deal between Kaminski and Pears in summer. The other must be sold for actual money. We can develop a new back up keeper through the academy. 

The Belgian Giant gets a contract if I’m in charge. Pears still looks physically small if you ask me. 

Assuming we are in this league still, I don't get why we sell either. Kaminski is the better keeper obviously, but Pears has proven to be a solid stand in and I'd rather keep him rather than cash in for a nominal fee and have an untested kid as back up. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Assuming we are in this league still, I don't get why we sell either. Kaminski is the better keeper obviously, but Pears has proven to be a solid stand in and I'd rather keep him rather than cash in for a nominal fee and have an untested kid as back up. 

It would all depend on any offer for Pears.

2 hours ago, J*B said:

I would keep both if we get promote

If not promote then maybe we look to sell one but even if we did we need a good back up. Maybe keep Hilton on if those circumstances 

If we got promoted then I would look to move Pears on and get someone better. But if we stay down, we can't just promote a kid with no first team experience to be number 2, if that had been this season we don't know how things would have gone. Pears would not be a valuable asset, he would be unlikely to generate more than a nominal fee so even if it meant keeping him for the final year of his deal and loaning one or two of the young keepers out to gain experience, then fine. Our young keepers tend only to attract loans well down into non league.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Did you read Pears interview in the LET? He’s not happy to be back up anymore. 

1 hour ago, J*B said:

To be fair, I can see why. He’s clearly a decent enough keeper at this level. Still prefer Kaminski overall, but he’s done a decent job since stepping up. Think he’s earned a move to somewhere he can get first team football assuming Kaminski stays.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, J*B said:

Good to see that he was to play first team football and not willing to be number 2 for the rest of his career. 

I'm not sure which one I would keep next season if we are in the championship. Big fan of Kaminski tho I do feel he was very poor in a few games before he was out injured. Pears have come in and performed very well and shown plenty of good keeping ability 

6 hours ago, J*B said:

"I'm happy sat on my arse and will do so until told otherwise" wouldn't make a good interview would it?!

But assuming he would push for a move if he wasn't first choice, which he shouldn't be, then we MUST sign a senior goalkeeper to replace him. Under no circumstances could we go into a season with one senior goalkeeper. I don't think any other team in the league is as naive.

I would understand it a tiny bit had you specifically mentioned one goalkeeper (say Hilton) and had said I believe he is up to the standard of being number 2. That would be based on kids football but at least it would be that one goalkeeper is ready to step up.

We need to lose the culture of if there is a gap in the squad, someone from the academy will fill it. We are very reliant on the academy and half of our team has come from there which is great to see. But the academy graduates should be seen as individuals, not as a conveyor belt. If there is an individual that is seen as one for next season, maybe a Batty or a Leonard, then by all means have plans for him in the first team squad next season, but even then not at the cost of a senior option in that position.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

"I'm happy sat on my arse and will do so until told otherwise" wouldn't make a good interview would it?!

But assuming he would push for a move if he wasn't first choice, which he shouldn't be, then we MUST sign a senior goalkeeper to replace him. Under no circumstances could we go into a season with one senior goalkeeper. I don't think any other team in the league is as naive.

I would understand it a tiny bit had you specifically mentioned one goalkeeper (say Hilton) and had said I believe he is up to the standard of being number 2. That would be based on kids football but at least it would be that one goalkeeper is ready to step up.

We need to lose the culture of if there is a gap in the squad, someone from the academy will fill it. We are very reliant on the academy and half of our team has come from there which is great to see. But the academy graduates should be seen as individuals, not as a conveyor belt. If there is an individual that is seen as one for next season, maybe a Batty or a Leonard, then by all means have plans for him in the first team squad next season, but even then not at the cost of a senior option in that position.

So you would pick Kaminski as remaining number 1 here instead of Pears then? 

Why shouldn't Pears be our number 1 given that our good form has come with him in the number 1 seat? 9 games with 4 clean sheets and 18 points got in those games with him making some very good saves and important contributions from Pears 

I am undecided at the minute on this situation but I do agree we need a good back up with experience with the 3rd choice could be good young keeper from the under 18/21's if we have one. Maybe Felix Goddard could be that player 

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Why shouldn't Pears be our number 1 given that our good form has come with him in the number 1 seat? 9 games with 4 clean sheets and 18 points got in those games with him making some very good saves and important contributions from Pears 

I am undecided at the minute on this situation but I do agree we need a good back up with experience with the 3rd choice could be good young keeper from the under 18/21's if we have one. Maybe Felix Goddard could be that player 

It is a bit different picking a goalkeeper as there is no scope for a sub appearance, its one or the other. Pears would be unlucky to be dropped but Kaminski is obviously better and was our best player up until a couple of jitters prior to injury, and he was carrying that injury before breaking down according to Tomasson.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I would pick Kaminski over Pears.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

None of our three young reserve keepers are good enough, especially Hilton who is tiny. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

It is a bit different picking a goalkeeper as there is no scope for a sub appearance, its one or the other. Pears would be unlucky to be dropped but Kaminski is obviously better and was our best player up until a couple of jitters prior to injury, and he was carrying that injury before breaking down according to Tomasson.

Kaminski was awful against Birmingham City home FA cup game. 

I think Pears has done more than enough to warrant keeping the goalkeeper spot on current form. JDT has interesting decision and maybe season definite decision to make whether to stick with Pears or recalled Kaminski for the Birmingham away game

So would you pick Kaminski as remaining number 1 here instead of Pears then? 

Edited by chaddyrovers

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Kaminski was awful against Birmingham City home FA cup game. 

I think Pears has done more than enough to warrant keeping the goalkeeper spot on current form. JDT has interesting decision and maybe season definite decision to make whether to stick with Pears or recalled Kaminski for the Birmingham away game

So would you pick Kaminski as remaining number 1 here instead of Pears then? 

He was, it was one game though when he was seemingly carrying an injury. Before a couple of wobbles, he was keeping us in games singlehandedly.

Tough choice, usually managers go straight back to their number 1 for a reason. Could understand either way but would probably go back to our number 1.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Didnt you say that you'd get a young backup through the academy?

Yeah, just none of the three we’ve got at the moment. I’d sell any of them except for Kaminski if we could get a decent fee.