BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Let's Talk Tyrhys Dolan

21 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

Sorry but that's completely unrealistic Rigger, way too black & white. Players are human, not robots (Haaland aside!).  They have good days when they feel & perform at their best, and bad days when nothing seems to go right, just like you & I do.

Even at the top table the same thing applies. Look no further than Rashford today, who scored 2 excellent goals after a number of dire performances. Or Pogba, or Koulibaly, or Grealish to name a few.

Ok you don't agree with me, that is your prerogative. My thoughs are a player should show consistancy at whatever level he is at. It is then upto the manager to decide if that shown consistancy is good enough for what the manager wants.

19 minutes ago, rigger said:

Ok you don't agree with me, that is your prerogative. My thoughs are a player should show consistancy at whatever level he is at. It is then upto the manager to decide if that shown consistancy is good enough for what the manager wants.

The only way I can agree with you is if you mean consistency within a range of expected performance levels, eg. mostly between 5 out of 10 to 8 out of 10, with the odd outlier above or below that.

But I suspect that's not what you mean, that you expect 7s or 8s week in week out. That's what I believe is unrealistic as there are just too many variables to expect or demand  consistency at such a high level IMO. Form, confidence, the opposition, your teammates' performance, off-pitch issues, manager's instructions, weather conditions, the playing surface, the list goes on.

This is not making excuses, but rather accepting reality.  If such things didn't impact performance, then the game would be far more predictable and all the less enjoyable for it IMO. Minimising the negative impact of such issues & maximising the positives is part of the key role of management & coaching, to know the person that is behind the player. It'll take Tomasson & his team more than a couple of months to work that out.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Gav said:

We have one poster expecting an ‘Eddie Howe Newcastle bounce’ which only happened after spending tens of millions and that codswallop above…..

Like I said to that poster Howe only won 2 of his 10 games and that run including a home FA cup loss to Cambridge. 

• Like 1

On 05/09/2022 at 14:15, J*B said:

Not at all, what does this mean?

My obviously failed attempt to show a poster that fans are stuck in a time warp, even if it is 1995 and one of Rovers greatest years.

To be honest it wasn't a failed attempt but pretty damn obvious that I was reacting to a WUM post.

• 5 months later...

I rate Dolan very highly, I think he has been underutilised this season and his return to the first team has really highlighted the development he has made to his all round game. He's a terrier who works his socks off, can keep the ball well for a little player, moves the ball with intelligence knowing when to and when not to take risk. 

Like above, he seems a great lad too and I hope he continues to kick on and progress to our benefit. He's been involved in the 2nd most goals behind BBD too, and hasn't had that many minutes so we need him more than ever with current injuries.

• Like 6

I like Dolan but when you watch him enough though, you actually realise he's not very quick. There was a chance on Saturday to break near the end and yet the defender got back at him. He looks like he's fast, but actually isn't.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Hasta said:

I like Dolan but when you watch him enough though, you actually realise he's not very quick. There was a chance on Saturday to break near the end and yet the defender got back at him. He looks like he's fast, but actually isn't.

He's sharp over 10-15 yards, but over a longer distance he tends to get caught by more athletic players.

It speaks to the main problem he has to overcome if he wants to reach his potential, his size. Players as small as Dolan really have to go some to make up for that with serious ability and intelligence. I actually think he's making pretty good progress this season and I'm glad he's a Rovers player, but it's an uphill task for him. 

1 hour ago, Hasta said:

Dolan is deceptively slow.

1 hour ago, TugaysMarlboro said:

Agreed, it's a complete myth that he's quick.

We’re confused “ Quick “ with “ Fast “. Quick is over 10 or 15 yards, Fast is over 30 to 40 plus yards.

I used to go watching my rugby league team doing sprint training and you’d get the little scrum half or hooker types like Dolan in physique leaving the big forwards for dead over 15-20 yards but by 50 yards the forwards were passing them. Of course the plan is for the little quick guys to make the breaks then hand the ball over to the forwards.

It’s not quite the same in football but you need to get the little quick guys in possession nearer to the goals and not in our half.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, TugaysMarlboro said:

Agreed, it's a complete myth that he's quick.

Speed of thought is just as important as the ability to run fast. Bobby Moore and Gerd Muller couldn't run to save their lives but they were always one step ahead of the others because they read the game so well.

Dolan doesn't offer much except running around alot, harrassing defenders and making a nuisance of himself. He won't be able to play like that when he gets a bit older because his legs won't do it. 

Edited by jim mk2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Speed of thought is just as important as the ability to run fast. Bobby Moore and Gerd Muller couldn't run to save their lives but they were always one step ahead of the others because they read the game so well.

Dolan doesn't offer much except running around alot, harrassing defenders and making a nuisance of himself. He won't be able to play like that when he gets a bit older because his legs won't do it. 

Paul Dickov made a career of it

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We’re confused “ Quick “ with “ Fast “. Quick is over 10 or 15 yards, Fast is over 30 to 40 plus yards.

I used to go watching my rugby league team doing sprint training and you’d get the little scrum half or hooker types like Dolan in physique leaving the big forwards for dead over 15-20 yards but by 50 yards the forwards were passing them. Of course the plan is for the little quick guys to make the breaks then hand the ball over to the forwards.

It’s not quite the same in football but you need to get the little quick guys in possession nearer to the goals and not in our half.

Was about to say something similar. Players like Dolan can go from a standing start to their top speed in a flash but their top speed isnt very high. It's good in close quarters when you can leave your full back for dead but useless if you're going for a ball over the top and you have to sprint from the halfway line. I'm sure I saw something about 8-10 years ago of all the top speeds in PL and there were quite a lot of centre backs high up that last. 

I also remember seeing a video ages ago, it was Ronaldo vs a 100m sprinter and they did various challenges. Ronaldo left the sprinter for dead in the ones that involved twisting and turning but couldn't keep up with a straight line sprint. Think they had to do a slalom round a load of cones and Ronaldo had much quicker feet (as you'd expect). 

• Like 2