BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Let's Talk Tyrhys Dolan

Dolan is like a wasp - buzzes around alot and is very annoying but doesn't actually have much use. Until he starts scoring goals and doing his twists and turns in areas that matter - in and around the penalty box - his value to the team is minimal. He looked like a little boy lost at Fulham

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Dolan is like a wasp - buzzes around alot and is very annoying but doesn't actually have much use. Until he starts scoring goals and doing his twists and turns in areas that matter - in and around the penalty box - his value to the team is minimal. He looked like a little boy lost at Fulham

Agree with this. There's still time for it to be coached out of him, but against Fulham he wriggled free and cut inside from the left wing. There was a ball on to play JRC clear down the right side but he never got his head up at all. He was looking down at the ball with the intention of trying to twist past the next man. He'd done the first difficult bit, he just needed to do the straight forward bit.  

He needs to watch Rothwell more. He will dart forward past his man and advance us 15 yards up the pitch, but he will then look to move the ball on if his path is blocked.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

He wasn’t exactly on his own in that respect Jim. Most of the team fitted that description.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He wasn’t exactly on his own in that respect Jim. Most of the team fitted that description.

All our forwards apart from BBD seem to all have redeeming features except being able to score and shoot regularly....we need someone to step up and quick....looks like Diaz has had enough of us, off to Chile again soon.....

We will be outside the play offs if someone out of Gally, Hedges, Dolan and Khadra don't get at least 5 championship goals between now and may....just can't see it

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

All our forwards apart from BBD seem to all have redeeming features except being able to score and shoot regularly....we need someone to step up and quick....looks like Diaz has had enough of us, off to Chile again soon.....

We will be outside the play offs if someone out of Gally, Hedges, Dolan and Khadra don't get at least 5 championship goals between now and may....just can't see it

Did you watch last nights game between Forest and Hudds ? Both teams are light years ahead of the way we’re playing. They’re not all stars by any means but they both have a real shape and a way of playing. High energy football, they were making things happen. We just stand around waiting for the ball to come. I could see how Hudds beat Fulham 2-0 at Craven Cottage. That’s down to coaching for me.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 4

Dolan is the sort of player who excites the crowd, but of course there needs to be a better end product. Time will tell whether he improves that.

He's another victim of Mowbray's square peg/round hole approach IMO.

It's unfair to expect him to be playing this false 9 role and to be banging the goals in. He's not a natural goalscorer, in the same way that Buckley isn't.

• Like 2

Agreed with much of what has already been said. He definitely does have value and playing him as a false 9 does allow his main strength ie his pressing and energy to thrive, but there has to be far more at the end of it.

He has a long way to go however, the excessive step overs miles away from goal may look flash but they need to be toned down I would suggest. His awareness needs to improve, the example already given at the weekend where we had a man over and he didnt look up showed that. And not only does he too infrequently score or set up a goal, but he doesnt look like he is about to do those things too often either, he isnt a threat very often deep in the final third/penalty box.

I suppose he was a kid with no senior football who came on a free from Preston, so its not a case of he should be this or that, he is only 18 months into his career. I do think though that the circumstances of his breakthrough and how it was so unexpected at the expense of a local rival and also how he appears off the pitch, very grounded and a seemingly nice guy who helps others, that people often overlook his defeciencies on the pitch. 

53 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I know we can't really expect it of him, but those 5 goals are probably going to have to come from Dack.

3 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

That would be the fairytale I suppose....Dack and BBD in the play offs..

After watching last nights game my expectations regarding the play offs aren’t too optimistic. I liked Hudds corner routine were all their players gathered in a bunch well beyond the far post and then ran in to meet the ball. Forest were caught zonal marking and the Hudds lad had a simple header. Obviously their coach has given it some thought.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 47er said:

Very good player is Dolan, the sky's the limit for him. Got plenty of time to work on his weaknesses.

Not been as excited about a new young talent for years. Love the way he threads that ball through, Duggiesque!

If only he had decent strikers ahead of him.

I saw Douglas live, a genius who could do it all.

Dolan is miles away from that but still developing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I saw Douglas live, a genius who could do it all.

Dolan is miles away from that but still developing.

No-one will ever touch Duggie for me and I saw him through his entire career.

But Dolan is very good with that final ball and I like him a lot!

He is a star of the future imo.

• Like 3

• Backroom

In fairness when playing in the false 9 he’s got the energy to get himself into the right positions it’s just too often the pass doesn’t come to him, had a tap in against QPR if Giles squared it.

3 goals, 3 assists and a couple of penalties won this season isn’t what he’d be targeting but he’s certainly an asset to us 

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

Agree on the final point. I think 6th place will be 75/76 points, leaving us needing 18 points. We could really do with getting half of them in the next 3.

2 hours ago, 47er said:

No-one will ever touch Duggie for me and I saw him through his entire career.

But Dolan is very good with that final ball and I like him a lot!

He is a star of the future imo.

I sincerely hope that you are right and that he bags a goal or assist tonight to shut me up.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dolan is a quality young player. He is scoring and assisting quite frequently if you look at his minute breakdown. Only Brereton and (surprisingly maybe) Gallagher ahead of him in terms of mins per goal involvement. 

He's quick, tricky, physical, got a knack to get into the box. As a team we've got to figure out how to make the most of him. 

On Saturday it was really striking how when he went off and we had Hedges on we offered absolutely nothing down the right.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Hedges has been worryingly poor so far, early days, of course, especially after coming out of the Scotland backwater, so needs to adapt, but initial thoughts, the Championship looks to be a level too high for him…

He's been absolutely awful. The one saving grace for me is that he looks almost exactly as bad as Brereton did when he first joined, and seems a similar sort of player, so maybe he will improve in a similar sort of way.

Real grasping at straws though. And even in the Brereton example it took him 18 months to get going.

Not writing him off, at all. For example lack of fitness can come in to it, struggling to adapt to a new club, way of playing, coming in from a piss poor standard of league. Loads of reasons for his poor showings thus far. Get a preseason under his belt and we’ll see where he is.

But you can always get a ‘feel’ for a player’s skill and competency for a level of football from very early on and he’s a lot to prove.