BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Let's Talk Tyrhys Dolan

• Backroom

What I like about Dolan is that he's actually got a bit of the dark arts in him, too. Enjoyed watching him wind up a number of Norwich players when we beat them at Carrow Road a couple of months back. Earned a few free kicks from their frustration towards him. You don't want every player behaving that way, but you need one or two that know how to do it.

• Like 4

Could be a really top player I think.... his goals/assists per minute played is really decent and quite consistent.  Scores some crackers, scares defenders, always fun to watch.

As Brereton is going I would like to see Dolan get a solid run at left forward as it is his best position (as someone said on the match thread).

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, K-Hod said:

You not reckon? He’s on 12 so far and he’s only 21…

15. Not counting his 2 for Clitheroe (for obvious reasons). He also usually plays wide, whereas Dickov played further forward and more centrally, where you expect more goals.

Given he's only been playing full senior football for 3 seasons, and probably has another 10 before the age where it can all go almost overnight...you're talking about another 50 ish (making around 65) just keeping the current rate. Which assumes he doesn't improve and assumes doesn't make himself a regular fixture in the starting 11 (people forget most of his games have been cameos off the bench). He's definitely capable of getting at least near 100 in his career if injuries or stagnation don't get him. Brereton leaving may open up a lot more opportunities for him too...

Edit - might be 16 goals actually, transfermarkt probably hasn't updated yet.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 2

Yeah I like him he's different to what we have and can put the ball in the back of the net. I can't be doing with the pointless flicks that never find anyone or pirouettes on the halfway line though. We saw all sides of his game last night. Good and bad. But he scored and nearly had another goal earlier on. No idea how wasn't man of the match.

Edited by Danny O.Brien
  • Like 1

He's got good technique and he's excellent in tight spaces. He's probably our best player in terms of keeping the ball and he's got decent footballing intelligence. 

I'm not sure I see him as a wide player like some people do. I actually think one of his bigger weaknesses is beating a man one on one as he does lack pace. All they need to do is back off him and it's tough for him to beat them. 

My hope is that he develops into an Illias Chair type player. He can twist and turn, pull the strings centrally, and can shoot. His ability to hold the ball draws players into him. Its all about releasing it at the right time or creating space to shoot. As it stands, his development has been brilliant so far. He's still got a way to go, but on his current trajectory I see no reason why he won't develop into a really key player for us. 

Being a nice lad doesn't win games, however its worth mentioning, that he's a credit to himself and the club. Specifically the graft he puts and how well he speaks about mental health and his friend who passed away. I love that he's refused to let the memory of his friend die after his passing. 

Back to football. I hope he keeps grafting and keeps developing. Good player, good bloke.

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Came here after being released from Preston, only first team games at Clitheroe. Obviously he has ability, but so do a lot of young lads. He’s a great example of how far desire and attitude can take you. 

My mate used to teach Dolan when he was at the Man City academy. Said he was a good lad but a bit of a tearaway, seemed like the sort who would not knuckle down and make the most of his talent. But he really has. 

Mowbray gets a lot grief, but I do think the way he handled Dolan was excellent.

• Like 1

I seem to be in a minority in thinking that Dolan was generally poor last night and below his usual performance levels. His negative traits were particularly prevalent, constantly over-doing stepovers, poor decision making and even a dive. He lost the ball on a number of occasions and was predictable when facing up the full back. 

That being said, his goal was a fantastic finish and it won us the game. That outweighs the rest and you would take that any day of the week.

22 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I seem to be in a minority in thinking that Dolan was generally poor last night and below his usual performance levels. His negative traits were particularly prevalent, constantly over-doing stepovers, poor decision making and even a dive. He lost the ball on a number of occasions and was predictable when facing up the full back. 

That being said, his goal was a fantastic finish and it won us the game. That outweighs the rest and you would take that any day of the week.

I can be a bit glass half full on players, but I did think he was good last night. When he gets the ball he seems to want to actually create something and be direct. It doesn't always come off, and that's his limitation, but I do feel his attitude when he is on the pitch is spot on. 

There were two flicks late on that were unnecessary, but other than that he was good.

7 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Mowbray gets a lot grief, but I do think the way he handled Dolan was excellent.

Hard disagree there. Lad looked dynamite from the off, then TM brought in Elliott, an exceptional talent to be sure, but one who we didn't own then sat in Dolan's way for a season where we didn't threaten the playoffs. Despite this, he could and at many points should have played Dolan more often, as he had the versatility to play elsewhere. Mowbray was just scared to play two young flair players at the same time.

I'm a big believer in momentum in football, especially for young players still developing, and Mowbray killed his repeatedly during that and the next season. Last season, Dolan looked less ambitious and confident in his play to me, and I believe being in and out of the team, as well as Mowbray trying to coach some of the flair out of his play, is why.

Really, he is only getting back now to more or less where he was (think his game intelligence may have improved a little though, and maybe his shooting). I actually don't think he has really developed since he arrived, and that it's primarily down to mismanagement by Mowbray.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 5

I don't think that Dolan has merited a regular spot throughout his time here, in that first season we had Armstrong, Brereton and Elliott as our front 3.

I do think that he did develop somewhat under Mowbray and he was handled well, and he hasn't personally kicked on really under Tomasson. Last night saw most of his poor tendencies as I mentioned but in general he doesn't do as many needless skills as previously.

40 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I don't think that Dolan has merited a regular spot throughout his time here, in that first season we had Armstrong, Brereton and Elliott as our front 3.

I do think that he did develop somewhat under Mowbray and he was handled well, and he hasn't personally kicked on really under Tomasson. Last night saw most of his poor tendencies as I mentioned but in general he doesn't do as many needless skills as previously.

Brereton was just ok that season. For me Dolan has definitely merited a regular spot when not landing one, on several occasions, and Mowbray did fuck all to develop him. How exactly do you think he developed him? How was he handled well? Not playing doesn't develop you, and I saw precisely nothing added to Dolan's game in the time between, if anything he visibly went backwards. Elliott was a better player, no doubt about that, but bringing him in to begin with got in Dolan's way. I understand this if it helps us make a promotion push, but we didn't come anywhere near and he was still favouring Elliott over players who would still be here the next season when promotion was mathematically over with, and so was the prospect of relegation. What's the bloody point of continuing to develop another club's player when the season is essentially over?

You're welcome to your opinion of course, I just think that it's a right load of old bollocks in this case. Mowbray sometimes gets flak he doesn't deserve, but I'm not having it that he developed a player who clearly stagnated and at times regressed under him.

Side note, those needless skills...yes he does need to get wiser at when to use them and when not to, that will come with time, but the fact he could do anything with the ball at any given time terrifies and confuses defenders. Even if he does a trick that's 'pointless' (which I agree, he does), it can confuse a defender about which way he's going and what he will do at closer quarters. When I was a defender, players who could turn, bob and weave as quickly as him and had that unpredictability were the ones that had me most on edge. They were the ones that could embarass me, whereas the 6 ft 2 lump I was more than happy to see running at me with the ball (and usually happy to muscle it with). The skills are a big part of his game, without those he's just a hard-working short player who is quick over 10 yards but not over 40. When he gets them right, he shreds defenders.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I've rarely read a post I disagreed with more.  I disagree with every point you make.

Where would we be in the table now if he hadn't played? Who would have replaced him?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Hard disagree there. Lad looked dynamite from the off, then TM brought in Elliott, an exceptional talent to be sure, but one who we didn't own then sat in Dolan's way for a season where we didn't threaten the playoffs. Despite this, he could and at many points should have played Dolan more often, as he had the versatility to play elsewhere. Mowbray was just scared to play two young flair players at the same time.

I'm a big believer in momentum in football, especially for young players still developing, and Mowbray killed his repeatedly during that and the next season. Last season, Dolan looked less ambitious and confident in his play to me, and I believe being in and out of the team, as well as Mowbray trying to coach some of the flair out of his play, is why.

Really, he is only getting back now to more or less where he was (think his game intelligence may have improved a little though, and maybe his shooting). I actually don't think he has really developed since he arrived, and that it's primarily down to mismanagement by Mowbray.

On Dolan's development, I think moving a player around in different positions doesn't help. Damien Duff, to give an extreme example, honed his talents as a left winger (and may, I think, have played right wing for Ireland at times) before, as an experienced player at Chelsea, moving to playing centrally, at times, if I remember rightly.

Now a young inexperienced player is thrown into a new position, like lone No.10/false 9 and expected to perform. Remember the days when Rovers tried and failed to get the supremely talented  and more experienced Bentley and Dunn to play in that role. They struggled and managers soon gave up.

The tactical strategy and formation of teams has changed, which makes it different and, perhaps, young players are becoming more accustomed to growing up with different roles on a pitch, but I do believe it is expecting too much from them.

Edited by riverholmes

45 minutes ago, 47er said:

I've rarely read a post I disagreed with more.  I disagree with every point you make.

Where would we be in the table now if he hadn't played? Who would have replaced him?

It was more than he isnt really much if any better this season specifically under Tomasson who like Mowbray has had him in and out of the side. I quoted the poster who mentioned Elliott because I feel that the 3 that regularly played that season merited a place in the side more than him. I don't think that Mowbray mis managed him as has been suggested. He finished his second of 2 seasons under Mowbray as a better player albeit not one who warrants a place week in week out.

I also thought his general game last night was poor aside from his fantastic finish. Some of the tendencies that have improved since his debut (too many stepovers, poor decision making etc) were back on show yesterday but if you get the winner then it understandably overshadows it.

It wasnt a massive criticism of him, I just think that the reason throughout his Rovers career that he hasnt been a total regular is because he hasnt made himself undroppable due to inconsistent performance levels. But he definitely has something to offer and I have been calling for him to be played wide for weeks rather than up top which doesnt suit him. Hopefully he will become more consistent over time and start to justify a place every game.

He's getting the right amount of playing time at the moment. Like Hedges, in a strong Championship team he should always be on the bench as a 20minute option to inject some energy into the game.

As said bench player you're in line for a start with injuries and players losing form - he's taking that chance now. Let's hope he makes himself undroppable with a few more goals / assists before the end of the season. 

• Like 2