BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Let's Talk Tyrhys Dolan

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

His lack of experience got shown up last night. Having said that you want him playing in their penalty area not ours. I think we better put that 5 year contract back in the drawer for now.

He's been outstanding last few games though. One poor game doesn't change my view of him, especially as the team collectively under-performed.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

His lack of experience got shown up last night. Having said that you want him playing in their penalty area not ours. I think we better put that 5 year contract back in the drawer for now.

So cos of one game performance we should not offer him a new contract but not looking at the impact he has had in previous games which we won? 

He is still learning and need to do better defensively for sure but he getting better and having more of impact on games

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

So cos of one game performance we should not offer him a new contract but not looking at the impact he has had in previous games which we won? 

He is still learning and need to do better defensively for sure but he getting better and having more of impact on games

I think an offer of a five year contact would be a bit ambitious. Just saying.

8 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I like the lad a lot but he was really poor last night. Not on his own in that respect obviously.

He looks good when pressing, attacking and in and around the box. I like that he will take a shot on from any distance.

Defensively he is worse than useless, and yesterday was a part of 2 goals conceded and that should have been 3 but Smallbone lost his compass. He has little to no defensive attributes.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

2 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I didn't see Bryan defending in a deep LB position all that often

That's my point

and good attacking player that he is Dolan is no Douglas.

Not literally saying the two are like for like but Dolan is a creative player for us as Douglas was.

• Like 1

We signed Buckley and Travis up on long term deals last year. And quite right too, their wages won’t be breaking the bank and it protects our assets and helps future planning.

No reason Dolan, JRC and Carter shouldn’t follow. 

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I wouldn’t offer him a five year one that’s for sure. That’d be crazy. Look at Henley, lots of big clubs were looking at him apparently - he’s at Chorley now by all accounts.

And look at BBD, Rothwell and Lenihan. We need to tie down our assets. Every contract offered is a gamble but we can’t risk more good players walking away for nothing.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Upside Down said:

I can't think of anything more dehumanising than saying that human beings are "assets" that need to be "tied down"

I think it's a symptom of the fact that footballers don't stay with one club for long periods of time anymore if they can get a better deal in a more competitive side. There's little point buying an annual Rovers calendar as our star player probably won't be here by the end of the year. This is where the detached language stems from imo.

On 13/03/2023 at 19:33, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I wouldn’t offer him a five year one that’s for sure. That’d be crazy. Look at Henley, lots of big clubs were looking at him apparently - he’s at Chorley now by all accounts.

That's true, big error in retrospect, for us and probably him too.

I don't see the two as quite the same though. Henley got a five year deal (supposedly on about 12k a week) as a 17 year old after two good games against Liverpool & United. Dolan would be getting one as a 21 yr old after 100 appearances. If Dolan signs a five year deal I'd be pretty happy to be honest. 

• Like 7

20 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

That's true, big error in retrospect, for us and probably him too.

I don't see the two as quite the same though. Henley got a five year deal (supposedly on about 12k a week) as a 17 year old after two good games against Liverpool & United. Dolan would be getting one as a 21 yr old after 100 appearances. If Dolan signs a five year deal I'd be pretty happy to be honest. 

Five years is too long for the club and the player. Nothing is permanent in football and both need more flexibility. Three years maximum. He’s still not my favourite player to be honest and there’s still a lot of weaknesses in his game. If we do somehow get back in the Premier league he’d be one of the ones you’d be looking to replace

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Five years is too long for the club and the player. Nothing is permanent in football and both need more flexibility. Three years maximum. He’s still not my favourite player to be honest and there’s still a lot of weaknesses in his game. If we do somehow get back in the Premier league he’d be one of the ones you’d be looking to replace

Not completely disagreeing - I think four years would be more sensible. My point was mainly that we don't need to worry about him not keeping on his toes if we gave him a long contract, like Henley. 

There is an issue about where his ceiling is, and how much more improvement there is left in him. I've said before that I worry about his size, and that he'll really have to go some to compensate for being so small. To be fair to him though, he is being more productive when on the pitch this season, so I'm happy enough with his progress. 

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

I agree that three years is about right.