BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Let's Talk Tyrhys Dolan

4 hours ago, Gav said:

From the above… 

"I deleted Twitter, there was too much negativity on there. I thought if I removed it, I couldn't see it and it helped me. I haven't asked what's in there, I am staying away from it. I don't think I'll ever go back on it, I want to stay away."

A very wise move.

• Like 6

NB - I posted below in the Millwall thread in response to a few posture Dolan, it's probably more appropriate here.

He does (look like he's getting his mojo back), and it's great to see him starting to flourish again because I think he is quite a unique player and, when on song, an absolute nightmare for defenders.

As is often the case with players of his type, confidence is a massive part of his makeup as a player because his game is instinctive (as it is with strikers & goalkeepers also), so it's important he does what works for him to rebuild & maintain that confidence.  It's easy for a defender, for example, just to hoof it when low on confidence, not so for a tricky, diminutive figure like him.

Coming off social media & keeping a close circle of confidants (I.e. family, club staff & close friends, inc teammates) is massive and he's at a good age to have reached that decision himself to have ample time to reap the benefits.

I for one hope he stays, more is yet to come from him I think.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

NB - I posted below in the Millwall thread in response to a few posture Dolan, it's probably more appropriate here.

He does (look like he's getting his mojo back), and it's great to see him starting to flourish again because I think he is quite a unique player and, when on song, an absolute nightmare for defenders.

As is often the case with players of his type, confidence is a massive part of his makeup as a player because his game is instinctive (as it is with strikers & goalkeepers also), so it's important he does what works for him to rebuild & maintain that confidence.  It's easy for a defender, for example, just to hoof it when low on confidence, not so for a tricky, diminutive figure like him.

Coming off social media & keeping a close circle of confidants (I.e. family, club staff & close friends, inc teammates) is massive and he's at a good age to have reached that decision himself to have ample time to reap the benefits.

I for one hope he stays, more is yet to come from him I think.

I think this is exactly right.

A player of this ilk loses so much the minute they doubt or second guess themselves.

This is why, imo, their form can fluctuate to such extremes - once something goes wrong they start second guessing everything they do.

That split second delay in their thinking leads to that thing not ‘coming off’ either and the spiral continues.

At some point the decision, whether consciously or subconsciously, is made to take the easy option (eg a simple backwards pass) - which just further exacerbates the drop in form.

It looks like Dolan has turned the corner, let’s hope this upturn continues.

• Like 4

Next to pure footballing ability confidence is one of the things you need in abundance. 
I remember watching Ian Rush in a game before he went to Italy. He was lurking on the left of the penalty area when one of the Liverpool players crossed a high ball to him. Without hesitation he met the ball with an instant terrific high volley, sending the ball over the keeper and into the far top corner of the goal. A breathtaking bit of skill that only a really confident player would attempt.

A while later, when he’d come back from Italy having had a really hard time there, I saw him get the ball in exactly the same position. This time he brought the ball down and passed to a supporting player.

The power of confidence.

• Like 3

On 26/10/2023 at 10:19, wilsdenrover said:

I think this is exactly right.

A player of this ilk loses so much the minute they doubt or second guess themselves.

This is why, imo, their form can fluctuate to such extremes - once something goes wrong they start second guessing everything they do.

That split second delay in their thinking leads to that thing not ‘coming off’ either and the spiral continues.

At some point the decision, whether consciously or subconsciously, is made to take the easy option (eg a simple backwards pass) - which just further exacerbates the drop in form.

It looks like Dolan has turned the corner, let’s hope this upturn continues.

Matt Jansen is a prime example.

Obviously different circumstances but post the accident the moves on the pitch he used to do by instinct he was suddenly thinking about, ‘should I pass or turn?’, ‘should I make that run?’, and at the highest levels that hesitation is fatal.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Harsh on Dolan just when he had found his good form again and silenced the internet critics.

Awkward for the team as well seeing as it'll probably mean a change in style not having two busy guys who press. Hopefully JDT reaches into his box of tricks and comes up with something that will suit the potentially good more traditional number 9 we have.

• Like 3

Gutted for Dolan. I was frustrated with him, like everyone else, in that poor period he had. Every forgets every players goes through it and you have to remember he’s only 21!

I don’t think he’ll get as far as the premier league but he definitely has the ability to be a very good championship player…I think we will miss him a lot more than people think - Bar Sammie, he’s probably our fittest and best presser…Someone who fits the JDT model to a T…If he was just abit taller/quicker he would make a great player. It’s his work ethic which has probably got him this far.

Edited by BankEnd Rover

4 hours ago, tomphil said:

Harsh on Dolan just when he had found his good form again and silenced the internet critics.

Awkward for the team as well seeing as it'll probably mean a change in style not having two busy guys who press. Hopefully JDT reaches into his box of tricks and comes up with something that will suit the potentially good more traditional number 9 we have.

How long is Dolan out for?

• Backroom
8 minutes ago, Cherry Blue said:

Gutted for Dolan.

Where is Ennis (is that how you spell his name??)

Wasn't even on the bench today, don't tell me he's injured again? He's going to end up even more of a crock than Vince Grella at this rate. 

As far as Dolan is concerned, he really seemed to be getting his confidence back in the past few weeks, so it's a massive shame that he's out for so long. 

On 01/12/2023 at 19:33, rigger said:

Three weeks ago Dolan was shit, I don't think we will miss him. When he is at his very best he is an average championship player. The problem is, he isn't at his best often enough

Absolute tripe.

Gutted for the lad, been a tough time for him personally and this won’t help. I’m sure the manager and club are doing all they can to support him through this time and we all wish him a speedy recovery. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Absolute tripe.

Gutted for the lad, been a tough time for him personally and this won’t help. I’m sure the manager and club are doing all they can to support him through this time and we all wish him a speedy recovery. 

He could score 35 goals and be player of the season and rigger would still call him shit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Upside Down said:

He could score 35 goals and be player of the season and rigger would still call him shit.

I would only call a player shit, when they are. If any Rovers player of the season, scored 35 goals, I doubt very much if I would call them shit. I doubt that scenario will raise its head with Dolan. Dolan isnt shit, but at his best, I would say he is an average Championship player. 

• 2 months later...

We really do need to get him on a long term deal even though he isnt always on it. For a player at his age, he is an important member of the squad, otherwise he will need selling in the summer.

I also would prefer Gallagher to stay, them 2 and Szmodics are the 3 attacking players we have that we know are up to the level. Telalovic is woeful, Leonard needs a loan, Markanday is crap, Moran is poor and will go back and Sigurdsson is unconvincing.

• Like 3