BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

17 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

The majority on here have always been ready and eager to slate England. It didn't change after the surprise of 2018 and it probably never will.

It's common among a significant number of England fans. Tournament football comes round so infrequently that I find it much more enjoyable to go into each and every tournament with blind optimism.

• Like 2

Not sure if ‘enjoy’ is the right word, but I do find watching England much more relaxing/easier than Rovers.

I’ve poured my heart and soul into BRFC since being a small kid, I’m fanatical and see the club as an intrinsic part of my life, as do my whole family - whereas I’m probably just a ‘follower’ of the national team. Hope they do well, but not going to be skriking in the corner of the pub when we get knocked out on pens by Portugal.

I compare myself to the everyday Rovers ‘follower’ that looks out for the results, goes to an odd game, but isn’t a weird obsessive like us lot on here.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

James for me is our best right back currently. 

Against a good solid Croatia team I would play both Rice and Henderson. Then see how Henderson is after that game given he has been injured for a while before just returning

There's no way we should be using the toughest game of the group to test if Henderson is fit. He's played 45 minutes since February, there is no chance he is fit. 

That's been our issue at previous tournaments - trying to force unfit players into the team. Play our fittest and most in form team. If we get to a point where we've already qualified with a game to  (like in 2018) then give Henderson a run out. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kie_BRFC said:

There's no way we should be using the toughest game of the group to test if Henderson is fit. He's played 45 minutes since February, there is no chance he is fit. 

That's been our issue at previous tournaments - trying to force unfit players into the team. Play our fittest and most in form team. If we get to a point where we've already qualified with a game to  (like in 2018) then give Henderson a run out. 

Completely agree.

Bellingham has looked the part, play him with Rice. It's madness to play an unfit player.

We've got 5 subs so can bring on Henderson late on if needed.

As an aside I was listening to the match of the day podcast and they made a very good point that the nation's with deep squads have got a big advantage with 5 subs, especially in extra time. We can bring on 3 or 4 really great attacking quick players late in games in the heat. If teams are sitting deep Calvert Lewin could be really potent in the air too.

Only a few countries can do that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Not sure if ‘enjoy’ is the right word, but I do find watching England much more relaxing/easier than Rovers.

I’ve poured my heart and soul into BRFC since being a small kid, I’m fanatical and see the club as an intrinsic part of my life, as do my whole family - whereas I’m probably just a ‘follower’ of the national team. Hope they do well, but not going to be skriking in the corner of the pub when we get knocked out on pens by Portugal.

I compare myself to the everyday Rovers ‘follower’ that looks out for the results, goes to an odd game, but isn’t a weird obsessive like us lot on here.

Living in Scotland, I'm the opposite Mattyblue, thanks to the 'Anyone But England' attitude of the jocks. I hope we absolutely crush them next Friday, it won't matter to me what else we do in the tournament after that.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Living in Scotland, I'm the opposite Mattyblue, thanks to the 'Anyone But England' attitude of the jocks. I hope we absolutely crush them next Friday, it won't matter to me what else we do in the tournament after that.

I still want them to do well generally (although I think that winds them up even more) but I find the games where we play each other absolutely unbearable. 

It's almost like when we hadn't lost to Burnley for 30 odd years, it makes the prospect of losing so terrible that you can't enjoy the rivalry. If you offered me the choice of winning the tournament but losing to Scotland in the group stage, or getting knocked out in the semis but beating Scotland along the way, I would genuinely need to think about it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RoverDom said:

It's common among a significant number of England fans. Tournament football comes round so infrequently that I find it much more enjoyable to go into each and every tournament with blind optimism.

8 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

4 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I'm sure a lot of this has to do with where people live. People living in England tend to spend the vast majority of their time around other English people. It's easy to play the England stink tune if most around you agree with little dissent.

oldjamfan lives in Scotland so gets a different picture. I live in America so get another one. When you have people from other nations either talking their team's prospects up, or talking down England's, it should make it easier to stick up for them.

The 2 year tournament cycle offers something different. Us Rovers fans are in a bad spot at the moment. Turgid football, iffy management, and absentee owners. Watching England should give some respite.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Kie_BRFC said:

Never said to test his fitness in the Croatia game. He has been training the last 2 weeks so I guess he is fit now and for starts on Sunday with Rice. 

8 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Never said to test his fitness in the Croatia game. He has been training the last 2 weeks so I guess he is fit now and for starts on Sunday with Rice. 

Again how can you be fit from 2 weeks training after 4 months out? 

Why would he start? Southgate himself has said he’s largely there for giving the lads a good clap purposes.

From Beckham to Rooney and countless other examples, it’s a foolish  thing to do to take an injured or lacking match fitness player to a tournament, they just can’t get up to speed.

From the manager himself;

"It’s a decision we took (to select Henderson) because we have been able to take extra players and we feel he is such an important influence around the place.“

26 man squad this time, so he obviously feels he can carry a ‘positive figure around the camp’ cheerleader, especially a fairly rare senior pro in a young squad. But that quote doesn’t tell me that he’s going to be playing.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

I’d start Bellingham against Croatia. He is a young lad and looks fantastic. Why risk Henderson being injured? Rice and Bellingham and let’s allow Henderson 20-30 minutes in the group games to keep them two fresh. 

We have options so rushing back a player as important as him is silly imo. He’ll be more useful in the tougher games later on in the tournament. 

As for supporting England I am just looking forward to have the chance to shout about something. 2021 has been a crap time to be a football fan if you support Rovers. I was genuinely not bothered about the last few games we played. England gives you that bit of excitement. And the chance to give it to the Scots when we put 5 past them makes it even better. 

Edited by Dreams of 1995
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I’d start Bellingham against Croatia. He is a young lad and looks fantastic. Why risk Henderson being injured? Rice and Bellingham and let’s allow Henderson 20-30 minutes in the group games to keep them two fresh. 

We have options so rushing back a player as important as him is silly imo. He’ll be more useful in the tougher games later on in the tournament. 

As for supporting England I am just looking forward to have the chance to shout about something. 2021 has been a crap time to be a football fan if you support Rovers. I was genuinely not bothered about the last few games we played. England gives you that bit of excitement. And the chance to give it to the Scots when we put 5 past them makes it even better. 

I would love it..........

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Only going to get fit by playing games 

In a league campaign, of course, that’s exactly how you get match fitness.

But you don’t have that luxury to carry players in a Euros/WC whilst they get up to speed, bad start, you’re out the tournament in just over a week.. Or as soon as you get a top side in the knockouts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Only going to get fit by playing games 

So we try and carry Henderson through 3 tough qualifying games and risk not even going through? Glad you're not in charge. 

Bellingham has been a regular for a very good dortmund side, he's good enough to play there

• Like 1

Just now, Kie_BRFC said:

So we try and carry Henderson through 3 tough qualifying games and risk not even going through? Glad you're not in charge. 

Bellingham has been a regular for a very good dortmund side, he's good enough to play there

Back to insults again. 

I have said I would play Henderson with Rice for the Croatia game then not start for Scotland game and play Mount in centre midfield with Rice. 

Team for Croatia game 

Pickford; James Stones Maguire Shaw; Henderson Rice;.Foden Mount Rashford; Kane

Team for Scotland game

Pickford; James Stones Maguire Shaw; Mount Rice; Rashford Foden Grealish/Sterling; Kane 

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I agree about Bellingham or a similar more mobile midfielder playing there.  Henderson and Rice together would be the kiss of death to me. Both get a nose bleed when they get into the last third.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Back to insults again. 

I have said I would play Henderson with Rice for the Croatia game then not start for Scotland game and play Mount in centre midfield with Rice. 

Team for Croatia game 

Pickford; James Stones Maguire Shaw; Henderson Rice;.Foden Mount Rashford; Kane

Team for Scotland game

Pickford; James Stones Maguire Shaw; Mount Rice; Rashford Foden Grealish/Sterling; Kane 

😂😂 Don't be so precious mate

On 09/06/2021 at 11:31, oldjamfan1 said:

The Scots attitude since they qualified really pissed me off. They're wales mark 2. Not so long ago the Scots were saying how bad their national team was. Now all u hear is we can aim for quarter finals.  Had arguments with them explaining England are light years better but they have the arrogance that they claim we have.  U qualify for one tournament like a wales and all of a sudden u are world beaters

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, roverandout said:

The Scots attitude since they qualified really pissed me off. They're wales mark 2. Not so long ago the Scots were saying how bad their national team was. Now all u hear is we can aim for quarter finals.  Had arguments with them explaining England are light years better but they have the arrogance that they claim we have.  U qualify for one tournament like a wales and all of a sudden u are world beaters

I've been taking a lot of shit off them mate and I've pretty much kept my gob shut (unlike me!) apart from wearing my England shirt in every work zoom meeting since the draw was made. If we get an early goal we could embarrass them, but these 'auld enemy' games very rarely work out like that sadly.

• Like 3

Is it really bad that Scotland fans are getting exciting considering how few and far between an appearance at a major tournament is for them? I would be the same I am sure. We can take for granted qualification, albeit more often than not we are on our way home early.

This would be a stupid tactical decision by Southgate if there is any truth:

https://talksport.com/football/892753/gareth-southgate-full-backs-england-euro-2020-croatia-man-utd-luke-shaw-centre-back/

4 full backs, Shaw at CB where he has never played, and totally changing the formation to try and protect one player. Why have 3 other centre backs in the squad?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I've been taking a lot of shit off them mate and I've pretty much kept my gob shut (unlike me!) apart from wearing my England shirt in every work zoom meeting since the draw was made. If we get an early goal we could embarrass them, but these 'auld enemy' games very rarely work out like that sadly.

It’ll be like a FA Cup game. The team that wants it the most will succeed. Who saw that Wales could beat Belgium last time ?

• Like 1