• Moderation Lead
1 minute ago, roverandout said:

Rice has been superb this season and has improved significant for England.  I would say he's very good. Henderson is Henderson.  A born leader. Phillips has done ok. Hes been a huge positive for Leeds. His passing is superb. I dont think Italys midfield for example is anything to write home about.  Jorginho and veratti. Neither are that special.  Portugal midfield isn't anything outstanding.  Germany midfield is alot better than ours . So is france's.  Dutch midfield is pretty good. Spanish midfield pretty good. My point is aside from France.  No team stands out in midfield.  That gives us some hope 

Veratti not that special? 👀 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just play less internationals full stop, then you don’t have to make up a convoluted competition to replace friendlies. All you need is Qualifiers, a few warm up games before a tournament and the tour

Originally had four right backs in the squad, so the final game before the tournament... GS plays a centre half there. 😐 He been meeting up with TM for tactical masterclasses or what?

Elgar's Land of Hope and Glory is far superior to the dirgy GSTQ, more upbeat and a better celebration of "Englishness".  Elgar was a football fan too - a Wolves supporter - which makes it perfec

Posted Images

Posted (edited)

Verratti is exceptional, just injury prone. Jorginho isn't as good as Verratti but can still keep the ball all day long and has just won the CL. Any Serie A followers will know that Barella and Locatelli are really good too, Barella in particular. 

Edited by frosty

Jorginho is a good player, and for me better than Rice. If we was to face Italy, I suspect that as in the past, we would struggle to get much of the ball and they look like a dark horse to me (if they arent too big to be called that!) with some very technical players. I don't think that we have a central midfield that can control games, our key players are all ahead of that.

1 hour ago, roverandout said:

Rice has been superb this season and has improved significant for England.  I would say he's very good. Henderson is Henderson.  A born leader. Phillips has done ok. Hes been a huge positive for Leeds. His passing is superb. I dont think Italys midfield for example is anything to write home about.  Jorginho and veratti. Neither are that special.  Portugal midfield isn't anything outstanding.  Germany midfield is alot better than ours . So is france's.  Dutch midfield is pretty good. Spanish midfield pretty good. My point is aside from France.  No team stands out in midfield.  That gives us some hope 

The point is, the likes of Portugal and Germany know how to play tournament football, they know how to scrape through  even when they're not at their best. In short, they know how to win when it matters - in tournaments

The majority on here have always been ready and eager to slate England. It didn't change after the surprise of 2018 and it probably never will. 

Southgate is not Arrigo Saachi but I view him as the right man for the job at the moment. 

7 of the squad played in the champs league final, 3 others in the Europa league final.

Up front is one of Europe's top strikers. Midfield contains a champs league winning captain, and there are so many riches at right back it seems likely that a La Liga winning one won't play.

England aren't Brazil 1970 but there should be optimism.

All teams have a weakness somewhere.

This Euro's is anybody's. 

1 minute ago, speeeeeeedie said:

The majority on here have always been ready and eager to slate England. It didn't change after the surprise of 2018 and it probably never will. 

Southgate is not Arrigo Saachi but I view him as the right man for the job at the moment. 

7 of the squad played in the champs league final, 3 others in the Europa league final.

Up front is one of Europe's top strikers. Midfield contains a champs league winning captain, and there are so many riches at right back it seems likely that a La Liga winning one won't play.

England aren't Brazil 1970 but there should be optimism.

All teams have a weakness somewhere.

This Euro's is anybody's. 

I think there is plenty of fawning over the attacking talent that we have, its competitive with all teams really in the competition and no one is doubting that. But there are obvious cracks beyond that and questions over the manager which are very valid.

Its not about being positive/negative/ready and eager to slate them, although ultimately repeated past failures naturally do create a tinge of fear and wariness.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Jorginho is a good player, and for me better than Rice. If we was to face Italy, I suspect that as in the past, we would struggle to get much of the ball and they look like a dark horse to me (if they arent too big to be called that!) with some very technical players. I don't think that we have a central midfield that can control games, our key players are all ahead of that.

Italy have exciting attackers too; Insighne, Immoblie and Chiesa would terrorise most defences. I think people are writing Italy off a bit, which will probably suit them. I could imagine an England Italy game being one where they would have enough nous to get through with a win. 

The teams in it I would fancy to beat England are; France, Germany and Italy. I'd say ye could get past Belgium or Spain. I would probably fancy ye more if Big Sam was manager 

Gotta beat the Scots first though! Should be some game.  

1 hour ago, speeeeeeedie said:

The majority on here have always been ready and eager to slate England

One tournament final in our history. And we're supposed to be one of the world's leading football nations. Compare England's record to Germany, Italy, Spain, and (unbelievably to older fans) France

England deserve to be slated

3 hours ago, roverandout said:

Scotland's midfield is McTominay and McGinn. Not sure there's a world of difference between them and Hendo and Rice. 

5 hours ago, frosty said:

Verratti is exceptional, just injury prone. Jorginho isn't as good as Verratti but can still keep the ball all day long and has just won the CL. Any Serie A followers will know that Barella and Locatelli are really good too, Barella in particular. 

Hes nowhere near exceptional.  I've watched him many times and he does nothing special.  Just passes sideways and backwards.  

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Italy have exciting attackers too; Insighne, Immoblie and Chiesa would terrorise most defences. I think people are writing Italy off a bit, which will probably suit them. I could imagine an England Italy game being one where they would have enough nous to get through with a win. 

The teams in it I would fancy to beat England are; France, Germany and Italy. I'd say ye could get past Belgium or Spain. I would probably fancy ye more if Big Sam was manager 

Gotta beat the Scots first though! Should be some game.  

Germany and Italy have a winning mentality.  Not always the best teams but they know how to win. If England had that along with the talent we would have won more than 1 world cup 

On 07/06/2021 at 13:01, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I wouldn’t have Henderson and Rice in the same team. I’d have Trippier in instead of James, I like James a lot but I think Trippier is a better right back.

James for me is our best right back currently. 

Against a good solid Croatia team I would play both Rice and Henderson. Then see how Henderson is after that game given he has been injured for a while before just returning

17 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

It's common among a significant number of England fans. Tournament football comes round so infrequently that I find it much more enjoyable to go into each and every tournament with blind optimism.

Not sure if ‘enjoy’ is the right word, but I do find watching England much more relaxing/easier than Rovers.

I’ve poured my heart and soul into BRFC since being a small kid, I’m fanatical and see the club as an intrinsic part of my life, as do my whole family - whereas I’m probably just a ‘follower’ of the national team. Hope they do well, but not going to be skriking in the corner of the pub when we get knocked out on pens by Portugal.

I compare myself to the everyday Rovers ‘follower’ that looks out for the results, goes to an odd game, but isn’t a weird obsessive like us lot on here.

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

James for me is our best right back currently. 

Against a good solid Croatia team I would play both Rice and Henderson. Then see how Henderson is after that game given he has been injured for a while before just returning

There's no way we should be using the toughest game of the group to test if Henderson is fit. He's played 45 minutes since February, there is no chance he is fit. 

That's been our issue at previous tournaments - trying to force unfit players into the team. Play our fittest and most in form team. If we get to a point where we've already qualified with a game to  (like in 2018) then give Henderson a run out. 

8 minutes ago, Kie_BRFC said:

There's no way we should be using the toughest game of the group to test if Henderson is fit. He's played 45 minutes since February, there is no chance he is fit. 

That's been our issue at previous tournaments - trying to force unfit players into the team. Play our fittest and most in form team. If we get to a point where we've already qualified with a game to  (like in 2018) then give Henderson a run out. 

Completely agree.

Bellingham has looked the part, play him with Rice. It's madness to play an unfit player.

We've got 5 subs so can bring on Henderson late on if needed.

As an aside I was listening to the match of the day podcast and they made a very good point that the nation's with deep squads have got a big advantage with 5 subs, especially in extra time. We can bring on 3 or 4 really great attacking quick players late in games in the heat. If teams are sitting deep Calvert Lewin could be really potent in the air too.

Only a few countries can do that.

3 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Not sure if ‘enjoy’ is the right word, but I do find watching England much more relaxing/easier than Rovers.

I’ve poured my heart and soul into BRFC since being a small kid, I’m fanatical and see the club as an intrinsic part of my life, as do my whole family - whereas I’m probably just a ‘follower’ of the national team. Hope they do well, but not going to be skriking in the corner of the pub when we get knocked out on pens by Portugal.

I compare myself to the everyday Rovers ‘follower’ that looks out for the results, goes to an odd game, but isn’t a weird obsessive like us lot on here.

Living in Scotland, I'm the opposite Mattyblue, thanks to the 'Anyone But England' attitude of the jocks. I hope we absolutely crush them next Friday, it won't matter to me what else we do in the tournament after that.

21 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Living in Scotland, I'm the opposite Mattyblue, thanks to the 'Anyone But England' attitude of the jocks. I hope we absolutely crush them next Friday, it won't matter to me what else we do in the tournament after that.

I still want them to do well generally (although I think that winds them up even more) but I find the games where we play each other absolutely unbearable. 

It's almost like when we hadn't lost to Burnley for 30 odd years, it makes the prospect of losing so terrible that you can't enjoy the rivalry. If you offered me the choice of winning the tournament but losing to Scotland in the group stage, or getting knocked out in the semis but beating Scotland along the way, I would genuinely need to think about it. 

8 hours ago, RoverDom said:

It's common among a significant number of England fans. Tournament football comes round so infrequently that I find it much more enjoyable to go into each and every tournament with blind optimism.

8 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

4 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I'm sure a lot of this has to do with where people live. People living in England tend to spend the vast majority of their time around other English people. It's easy to play the England stink tune if most around you agree with little dissent.

oldjamfan lives in Scotland so gets a different picture. I live in America so get another one. When you have people from other nations either talking their team's prospects up, or talking down England's, it should make it easier to stick up for them.

The 2 year tournament cycle offers something different. Us Rovers fans are in a bad spot at the moment. Turgid football, iffy management, and absentee owners. Watching England should give some respite.

14 hours ago, Kie_BRFC said:

Never said to test his fitness in the Croatia game. He has been training the last 2 weeks so I guess he is fit now and for starts on Sunday with Rice. 

8 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Never said to test his fitness in the Croatia game. He has been training the last 2 weeks so I guess he is fit now and for starts on Sunday with Rice. 

Again how can you be fit from 2 weeks training after 4 months out? 

Why would he start? Southgate himself has said he’s largely there for giving the lads a good clap purposes.

From Beckham to Rooney and countless other examples, it’s a foolish  thing to do to take an injured or lacking match fitness player to a tournament, they just can’t get up to speed.

From the manager himself;

"It’s a decision we took (to select Henderson) because we have been able to take extra players and we feel he is such an important influence around the place.“

26 man squad this time, so he obviously feels he can carry a ‘positive figure around the camp’ cheerleader, especially a fairly rare senior pro in a young squad. But that quote doesn’t tell me that he’s going to be playing.

Edited by Mattyblue