BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

What are you listening to right now?

On 21/02/2021 at 23:27, den said:

Dare I expand this topic a bit please?

Can I also ask what equipment people are listening on? I have two Sonos play1’s paired. The sound for two small speakers is incredible IMO. Many years ago I had - and still have in the attic - a mid range CD player, amp, power amp, speakers mounted on soundproofed stands. Technology moves on and these two small speakers are far superior.

I have a pair of Bronz BX2s right now. They are passive speakers and unfortunately the amp died not long back so I’m using a cheap amp atm. 

The Mrs on the other hand was (is) a fantastic DJ when she’s up to it. She has a pair of JBL eon speakers, but I haven’t quite gotten around to finishing the bar / den / entertainment room so they are gathering dust along with the rest of her equipment. It’s a touchy subject......

JBL do fantastic headsets too if anyone is after a pair, I would highly recommend. 

19 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I have a pair of Bronz BX2s right now. They are passive speakers and unfortunately the amp died not long back so I’m using a cheap amp atm. 

The Mrs on the other hand was (is) a fantastic DJ when she’s up to it. She has a pair of JBL eon speakers, but I haven’t quite gotten around to finishing the bar / den / entertainment room so they are gathering dust along with the rest of her equipment. It’s a touchy subject......

JBL do fantastic headsets too if anyone is after a pair, I would highly recommend. 

Are we talking JBL headphones here ? The best headphones I ever had were a pair of " Yamaha's " when they were into musical equipment. They should have been around £200 back in about 1985. Probably equivalent to about £800 now. " Boots " were selling HI-Fi at one time, and then suddenly decided to get out of it, so they sold everything half price. They were fantastic headphones. My ex-wife got them along with everything else, barring my clothes. She would have had them if they would have fitted her !

I'm pleased you appear to be happily married, divorce doesn't come cheap.

• Like 2

On 22/02/2021 at 13:08, Gav said:

Proper well posh.....😃

I have a couple of Bose speakers and a Sonos sound bar for the Tv.

Sonos as den says is brilliant, better than Bose in todays market for me, I'm looking for a couple of Sonos 5's as we speak.

We have a Sonos sound bar for the TV, two speakers in other rooms and a new Sonos Move which as it's name implies can be used remotely from its base. So far it hasn't moved out of the dining room but it will come into it's own in the garden as soon as the weather improves.

As for what I'm listening to, it's mostly Radio 4 during the day but my Sonos app tells me that the music I have listened to in the last few weeks has been Laura Marling, Robert Plant & Alison Krauss, Matt Berninger, Arlo Parks, London Grammar and Belle & Sebastian.

• Like 2

On 23/02/2021 at 19:19, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Are we talking JBL headphones here ? The best headphones I ever had were a pair of " Yamaha's " when they were into musical equipment. They should have been around £200 back in about 1985. Probably equivalent to about £800 now. " Boots " were selling HI-Fi at one time, and then suddenly decided to get out of it, so they sold everything half price. They were fantastic headphones. My ex-wife got them along with everything else, barring my clothes. She would have had them if they would have fitted her !

I'm pleased you appear to be happily married, divorce doesn't come cheap.

Thanks Tyrone! I’m not married yet so I should change it to the ‘missus’ really....but if she keeps playing her cards right that could change.

Luckily for me her music collection is better than mine so I’ll be quids in 

Onto music, today was a beautiful day so it was definitely a day for some rhythmic beats. Opted for a French artist called “Biga Ranx” who is sensational. The album “1988” has to be my favourite. Favourite song being “My Face”...

• Like 1

On 24/02/2021 at 12:42, only2garners said:

We have a Sonos sound bar for the TV, two speakers in other rooms and a new Sonos Move which as it's name implies can be used remotely from its base. So far it hasn't moved out of the dining room but it will come into it's own in the garden as soon as the weather improves.

As for what I'm listening to, it's mostly Radio 4 during the day but my Sonos app tells me that the music I have listened to in the last few weeks has been Laura Marling, Robert Plant & Alison Krauss, Matt Berninger, Arlo Parks, London Grammar and Belle & Sebastian.

London Grammar are an excellent choice o2g!

On 22/02/2021 at 10:23, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yes I usually leave it playing after the football. First record on last Saturday - " Stay In My Lonely Arms " by The Elgins. A classic B side. 

If you're a Soul fan the show is as good as it gets.

To answer Den's question -

I have it playing through a " REVO " internet radio. I've got 3 " REVO's " and I can recommend them.

I occasionally play stuff through my old hi-fi set up -

" Technics " amp, " Denon " tuner, " Sony " CD player, " Aiwa " tape deck, " Infinity " speakers, " Grado Labs " headphones.

I still have loads of vinyl about the house but my " Dual " turntable had been in the loft for years.

I remember going to a hi fi show in a big hotel in Manchester years ago. I was admiring the sound coming from some large speakers. The salesman removed the grills from the large speakers to reveal they were actually dummies and the real speakers inside were the size of a small shoe box ! Unfortunately they were out of my price range.

I’m still old school with the stereo, got an old Sony home cinema amp hooked up to some speakers for vinyl etc. recently got a pair of AirPods for my birthday and I can heartily recommend them for on the go listening. Great sound 👌 

I guess this is old news but Daft Punk have split up. Surely one of the best electronic artists from the 90s although I haven’t always been convinced by their more recent stuff. 

Back in the day Thomas Banghalter released this banger, in an alternate universe Daft Punk released more genius house music like this rather than going mainstream

I also came across this act while reading about Daft Punk. Dunno how I didn’t catch them while they were still active. Etienne De Crecy and Philippe Zdar - Motorbass. 

On 26/02/2021 at 10:19, only2garners said:

Dreams - they have a new album out shortly and have just announced a tour in November.

I first heard of London Grammar in a feature they did for Disclosure. 

Such a good track. Has that feel good feeling to it and perfect for a day like this! 

That album by Disclosure was very good actually.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

But not far enough. I like Johnny Marr though.

I was watching a documentary about The Smiths recently and it was clear that Morrissey was a troubled soul, the band worried that he'd eventually top himself.

The way they wrote songs and albums was the band would write the tunes without Morrissey, pass the music over to Mozza and he'd write the lyrics alone, its mindboggling to me that.

Whatever you think about Mozza, to come up with those lyrics, sat at home on your own is genius, his life must have been a dark place at times. 

I've got a pair on Sony MX3 headphones and they are brilliant for the money. Haven't tried the Mx4 but doubt they will be significantly different. I'm currently rediscovering Joni Mitchell on them!

Considerably cheaper than the Bose equivalent, as everything is!

18 hours ago, 47er said:

I've got a pair on Sony MX3 headphones and they are brilliant for the money. Haven't tried the Mx4 but doubt they will be significantly different. I'm currently rediscovering Joni Mitchell on them!

Considerably cheaper than the Bose equivalent, as everything is!

Yeah Bose are like Rolex. They spend massive amounts of money on advertising and promotion for what is a very good but not great product.

It works though, I would part with my Sub for anything. One of the biggest financial mistakes I made was trading a couple just before prices went through the roof ! I got a very nice Omega Speedmaster and a Zenith El Primero. Possibly better watches but financially a really unwise trade. You'll never lose money buying a stainless steel sports Rolex, that's if you can find one that is.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Careful with the headphones chaps, or at least the volume setting. I used to go to gigs with three of my mates, mainly modern prog rock bands. Loud, very loud. We used to also listen to our albums, often through headphones with the volume turned up to the highest setting. All four of us have been left with tinnitus 😢

11 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Careful with the headphones chaps, or at least the volume setting. I used to go to gigs with three of my mates, mainly modern prog rock bands. Loud, very loud. We used to also listen to our albums, often through headphones with the volume turned up to the highest setting. All four of us have been left with tinnitus 😢

I've already got it! Somehow or other my brain has managed to forget about it and it never bothers me

I've never listened at the volume you describe though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 47er said:

I've already got it! Somehow or other my brain has managed to forget about it and it never bothers me

I've never listened at the volume you describe though.

It doesn’t really affect me either. I reckon I’ve got it at 3-4 out of 10 on a sort of scale. I understand one or two that have had it at full pelt have committed suicide. For a few weeks, one of my mates was getting seriously desperate but then the level of his reduced to a similar level to that of mine.

59 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

It doesn’t really affect me either. I reckon I’ve got it at 3-4 out of 10 on a sort of scale. I understand one or two that have had it at full pelt have committed suicide. For a few weeks, one of my mates was getting seriously desperate but then the level of his reduced to a similar level to that of mine.

My wife has it a bit. A friend of ours lectures in " Health & Safety " with particular attention to noise hazards. He was explaining how it's caused, all in your brain apparently.

6 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Hearing aids reduce the problem considerably my doctor told me.