BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Dingles

35 minutes ago, sympatheticclaret said:

Dreadful news. I hope the full weight of the law comes down on the f***wit who did this !

I understand a 33 year old man is in custody, 

edit

Edited by Hasta

9 minutes ago, Hasta said:

From people who know him, that's not my understanding. Unless they are unaware of that.

14 minutes ago, Hasta said:

From people who know him, that's not my understanding. Unless they are unaware of that.

I've now amended the post, thank you for that. I broke my own rule and posted a strong rumour ... 😒

45 minutes ago, sympatheticclaret said:

Dreadful news. I hope the full weight of the law comes down on the f***wit who did this !

I understand a 33 year old man is in custody, whom it is believed is already subject to a life ban from Turf Moor. If he had a ticket to the game in his possession, the Club should be able to trace how he obtained it and action should be taken against those who provided him with it ... 

It’s tragic.

As for the full weight of the law, I’m sure he will be appropriately sentenced once it comes before a judge, there is more than enough video evidence going around to give them a full picture of events.

Hopefully this is a wake up call for some about getting involved in violence at any time for any reason. 

Edited by longsiders1882
  • Like 2

I am totally saddened and sickened by this and like many others, hope the person responsible for this is brought to justice.

Most people who go to games, do so, with respect for their fellow supporter, whether it is their local rival, or a team with little or no past history.

At the end of the day, we all have family and friends and it is simply shocking that someone can lose their life, just because he or she supports a rival team.

I am sure the football world and both Blackpool and Burnley will pay their respects to the supporter who sadly lost his life and I would love to think, it has taught some people with a propensity for this type of thing, a lesson.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sympatheticclaret said:

I've now amended the post, thank you for that. I broke my own rule and posted a strong rumour ... 😒

I've amended my quoted post accordingly. Not saying what you posted is not correct, that's just a different slant from what I was told earlier.

1 hour ago, sympatheticclaret said:

I understand a 33 year old man is in custody.  

While I totally agree with your first sentence, @sympatheticclaret ‐ which right-minded person couldn't? - I think I heard - I wasn't paying full attention - on the BBC TV NW News at 1.30 that he's now been bailed.

7 minutes ago, R0verb0y said:

While I totally agree with your first sentence, @sympatheticclaret ‐ which right-minded person couldn't? - I think I heard - I wasn't paying full attention - on the BBC TV NW News at 1.30 that he's now been bailed.

He has been bailed until June 1st. Hopefully there are conditions in his bail that keeps him away from football otherwise he could turn up at Ewood on April 25th.

https://www.lancashire.police.uk/news/2023/march/investigation-continues-as-man-assaulted-in-blackpool-sadly-dies/

9 minutes ago, arbitro said:

He has been bailed until June 1st. Hopefully there are conditions in his bail that keeps him away from football otherwise he could turn up at Ewood on April 25th.

https://www.lancashire.police.uk/news/2023/march/investigation-continues-as-man-assaulted-in-blackpool-sadly-dies/

Thanks, @arbitro.

Totally agree with your final sentence; can't imagine there wouldn't be. 🤞

2 hours ago, longsiders1882 said:

Hopefully this is a wake up call for some about getting involved in violence at any time for any reason. 

People won't stop getting into fights because they won't even be thinking about the potential consequences, let alone what has tragically happened here. Nobody will learn a lesson, here. Unless more police patrols on match-day can help, the only fix for stupidity like this is a good education, which by now is too late.

• Like 5

Sad news this, he was there for the tear up but nobody deserves that. Seen the video, looks like he was done with a pint glass...seems like a weapon of choice for the Dingle hoolies after what happened to the Forest fan some years back.

6 minutes ago, LDRover said:

Sad news this, he was there for the tear up but nobody deserves that. Seen the video, looks like he was done with a pint glass...seems like a weapon of choice for the Dingle hoolies after what happened to the Forest fan some years back.

They'll argue self defence....someone swings at you, do you retaliate or risk injury to yourself?

Surprised there wasn't more of a police presence there prior to the tragic event too, its a known hotspot most weeks after their games.

22 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

They'll argue self defence....someone swings at you, do you retaliate or risk injury to yourself?

Surprised there wasn't more of a police presence there prior to the tragic event too, its a known hotspot most weeks after their games.

Yeah, it's well known to all, can't believe the police weren't there in numbers. The bloke who died is one of the old 'Muckers', one row too far for the poor bloke.

11 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

“ Lamped “ . That’s an old Lancashire expression. Anybody know where it comes from ? I heard an explanation years ago. 

In old Lancashire.  Real men used to brawl in the street. They would each bring their lamps as a source of light and as a weapon.  They would then proceed to clobber each other with their 'lamps'. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, roverandout said:

In old Lancashire.  Real men used to brawl in the street. They would each bring their lamps as a source of light and as a weapon.  They would then proceed to clobber each other with their 'lamps'. 

Well this is the story I got told by a guy who’s family were engineers going way back. 

If a foreman was getting too big for his boots the guys would wait for him leaving at night. They’d climb up the old gas lights or lamps and blow out the flame, leaving the area in complete darkness. Then the foreman would get a “ lamping “.

• Like 1

Very sad news indeed while people have a passion of there club I can never understand why fans needs to fight each other. I hope when we play Burnley at this will be in people minds and no fighting takes place.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, LDRover said:

Sad news this, he was there for the tear up but nobody deserves that. Seen the video, looks like he was done with a pint glass...seems like a weapon of choice for the Dingle hoolies after what happened to the Forest fan some years ba

You can see on the video, it’s a blow to the chest and he tumbled backwards, hitting his head on the floor that has done the damage, not a glass.

Still tragic no matter the circumstances.

But they weren’t attacked, they were the instigators and it led to this sad outcome. I understand this isn’t the first time this season, at this pub.

When will men and boys learn? I’m guessing never (as @goozburger said earlier)  but I have to hope. I have children - and grand children now - and I don’t want to worry every time they go to a match this might happen.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

You can see on the video, it’s a blow to the chest and he tumbled backwards, hitting his head on the floor that has done the damage, not a glass.

Still tragic no matter the circumstances.

But they weren’t attacked, they were the instigators and it led to this sad outcome. I understand this isn’t the first time this season, at this pub.

When will men and boys learn? I’m guessing never (as @goozburger said earlier)  but I have to hope. I have children - and grand children now - and I don’t want to worry every time they go to a match this might happen.

My grandson is 16 now and real centre half/second row forward material but no way would I take him to the upcoming derby or let him go on his own.

By contrast I was going to the derbies on Ellen Smith or Yelloway coaches on my own in the 1960’s when I was 13,14,15. The coach from Rochdale usually went through Whitworth, Bacup etc picking up Burnley fans all the way. Nobody ever bothered me and I was sat there with my blue and white scarf on.

Where did it all go wrong ?

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, Gordon Ottershaw said:

I know a few Burnley fansSome are ok, some have got a screw loose.  Also worked in Burnley in the 90s. I know we laugh about the place but there is a weird vibe about it. There seems to be a disproportionate amount of Not Rights there.

In the sense that I've highlighted, they're like every football club, then, @Gordon Ottershaw.

As I've mentioned - probably too often for some people on here!😉 - I have a former schoolmate who's as deeply a member of the Burnleh persuasion as I am of ours. He's loved That Lot for as long and as much, as I've loved Lancashire's Most Historic Football Club.

In our weekly WhatsApp chats, there's regular banter about the two clubs and I know from my visits to him and his family in NZ that, when we're not separated by 12,000 miles, we can still keep our discussions sensible.

However, another factor that enters this issue - and I don't know what the answer to this is - is the policing of events like this. As I've also mentioned on a number of occasions, I was born in Blackpool; and growing up there, I got to know that the 'Manchester' was a pub to be avoided in the height of the season and when there was a big football match at Bloomfield Road.

I know we can't close all town centre pubs when there's a big match on in town and, obviously - I wasn't in the locality of the 'Manchester' before last Saturday's match - I don't know how great was the police presence was in the area of that particular pub then.

But, when there's a big match on, there's surely a case for a big police presence to act as a deterrent to troublemakers??

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

The Manchester is a designated away pub. It begs the question what Tony Johnson was doing around there. When you learn that he was part of The Muckers, a group described as a "firm" on their forum, it starts to paint a somewhat different picture to the assumption that it was a drugged up or drunk Burnley fan looking for a fight and killing someone.

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, goozburger said:

The Manchester is a designated away pub. It begs the question what Tony Johnson was doing around there. When you learn that he was part of The Muckers, a group described as a "firm" on their forum, it starts to paint a somewhat different picture to the assumption that it was a drugged up or drunk Burnley fan looking for a fight and killing someone.

Exactly. I've sadly seen the video (I didn't know it was the video of the incident in question) , and it's apparent that a group of Blackpool fans attacked the pub. Second hand accounts indicate this has happened before - usually after the game when there's a smaller away presence. It has always been an away pub and is designated by the police as such, and I presume any Blackpool fans would know this. I'm shocked there wasn't a police presence at the pub given the amount of Burnley fans who visited. 

Clearly the man did not deserve what happened and it's absolutely tragic, but I'll be conscious of avoiding labelling or blaming the Burnley fanbase for this incident. It was a stupid fight that *all* parties should have avoided, and shows the dangers of fighting - one punch can kill. 

• Like 5