BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Dingles

46 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You must be thinking of another team. They were never in the Conference. The fanzine was called “ Exceedingly Good Pies “.

Darlo had the best one - “ Mission Impossible “.

was before teams got promoted from the non league and there was re election to the league if you finished bottom ,it was a standing joke that either rochdale or hartlepool would finish bottom,somehow in the days of being re elected to the league those two always managed to stay in!!!!!!!!! from hazy memories of my childhood  i think southport were the last side to get chucked out of the football league,wigan replaced them

32 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

was before teams got promoted from the non league and there was re election to the league if you finished bottom ,it was a standing joke that either rochdale or hartlepool would finish bottom,somehow in the days of being re elected to the league those two always managed to stay in!!!!!!!!! from hazy memories of my childhood  i think southport were the last side to get chucked out of the football league,wigan replaced them

I get you now. They had plenty of very close encounters with the football league trap door. The old chairman, Fred Ratcliffe, had lots of friends among the other chairman and had to call in favours on many occasions. Altrincham came within an ace of replacing them once over.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

I think my favourite story from the days of re-election was Barrow being punted because of its poor transport links. Here we are nearly half a decade later, they're back in the League on merit, and the transport links are still as poor as they were then. Some sort of justice in there I think?!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GHR said:

I think my favourite story from the days of re-election was Barrow being punted because of its poor transport links. Here we are nearly half a decade later, they're back in the League on merit, and the transport links are still as poor as they were then. Some sort of justice in there I think?!

The last 3 Clubs who failed to be re-elected were all coastal North West Clubs, with poor transport links ... Barrow ( 1972 ), Workington ( 1977 ) and Southport ( 1978 ), replaced by Hereford, Wimbledon and Wigan respectively.

Of the current League Clubs, Hartlepool had to apply for re-election 14 times, followed by Rochdale on 10 occasions ... curiously, as I write, these two Clubs are 91st & 92nd in the Football League pyramid !! 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Boz said:

Unlike Burnley, thankfully Rovers have never had to seek re-election. 😁

Burnley didn't seek re-election. They had to win on last day to avoid relegation from Div 4. If I remember correctly it was the first season of relegation from the League to the Conference (now National League). 

Much as I enjoy it when we beat Burnley (and enjoyed bragging rights at school when they were in the 4th Div) it would have seemed a bit unjust for them to get relegated on their first time at that level when teams like Rochdale and Hartlepool and many others had finished bottom multiple times but been saved by the 'old boys' network. I'm sure there will be some on this forum who disagree 😉

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Boz said:

Who mentioned 1987?

Have a trawl through the history books.

Multiple times too! 

Apologies Boz - my mistake. Every day's a school day!

The 1889-1890 season was bizarre. They drew 4 and lost 13 of the first 17 and then won 4 and drew 1 of the last 5!

Suspect they got some new players as they also came good in the Lancashire Cup beating us in the final. I guess we were distracted by winning the FA Cup instead 🙂 

1 hour ago, sympatheticclaret said:

The last 3 Clubs who failed to be re-elected were all coastal North West Clubs, with poor transport links ... Barrow ( 1972 ), Workington ( 1977 ) and Southport ( 1978 ), replaced by Hereford, Wimbledon and Wigan respectively.

Of the current League Clubs, Hartlepool had to apply for re-election 14 times, followed by Rochdale on 10 occasions ... curiously, as I write, these two Clubs are 91st & 92nd in the Football League pyramid !! 

In 1978, Southport were thrown out despite not finishing bottom ( That was Rochdale) Wigan replaced them who had Bobby Charlton on the board at the time who pulled in some votes from his mates at the football league. Was a disgrace , Port have never got close to getting back in . Main reason was they built a new main stand costing around £70,000 which nearly bankrupted them .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Clive 62 said:

In 1978, Southport were thrown out despite not finishing bottom ( That was Rochdale) Wigan replaced them who had Bobby Charlton on the board at the time who pulled in some votes from his mates at the football league. Was a disgrace , Port have never got close to getting back in . Main reason was they built a new main stand costing around £70,000 which nearly bankrupted them .

I remember the old stand burning down. Most of the Lancashire town clubs rallied round with offers of help including Rovers but  the so-called "big" clubs in Manchester and Liverpool said nothing.

A lot of Burnley fans not happy at missing out on their cup final tickets. I missed out on a ticket at The Dome because their powers that be decided to halve the away end to the minimum 2000 permitted. 

Seems unanimous that everyone thinks Steve Waggott has made the right decision on this one. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Clive 62 said:

It was worse than that Clive. The season before Southport had been in the Third Division and a season or so before had been towards the top. I think they finished fourth from bottom. It was a complete stitch-up.

I should declare an interest though. I was born in the hospital in Southport and used to regularly watch them when at school, as they played on Friday nights so didn’t clash with Rovers games. I can vividly remember being at Haig Avenue with some mates the night Jimi Hendrix died.

Edited by only2garners
Addition
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, oneandycrawford said:

Burnley didn't seek re-election. They had to win on last day to avoid relegation from Div 4. If I remember correctly it was the first season of relegation from the League to the Conference (now National League). 

Much as I enjoy it when we beat Burnley (and enjoyed bragging rights at school when they were in the 4th Div) it would have seemed a bit unjust for them to get relegated on their first time at that level when teams like Rochdale and Hartlepool and many others had finished bottom multiple times but been saved by the 'old boys' network. I'm sure there will be some on this forum who disagree 😉

Yes; my Burnleh-supporting old schoolmate in NZ really loses his rag when I point out that Lancashire's Most Historic Football Club has never come within 5 minutes of dropping out of the League!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, M_B said:

A lot of Burnley fans not happy at missing out on their cup final tickets. I missed out on a ticket at The Dome because their powers that be decided to halve the away end to the minimum 2000 permitted. 

Seems unanimous that everyone thinks Steve Waggott has made the right decision on this one. 

No they didn't. They gave all Premier League for the last couple of years 2200 tickets, and have given all clubs this year 2200 tickets. Home fans have been in the other half of that stand for the last few years. Burnley treated Rovers no differently than they have every Championship or Premier League club in recent times.

I don't think it's the right decision. I'm enjoying the meltdown, but I don't think it's particularly right or fair.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

Not sure this is the smartest thing for someone to do, but a Dingle supporter called Rick Muller claims he has secured tickets for him and his two adult children in the "home end". Hopefully the club will be shit-hot on this and rat out any silly idiots from up the road getting in the home ends. I'm not sure how, but I suspect it will be a problem on the day.

On 27/03/2023 at 10:45, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Burnley/Burnley.htm

Burnley Rovers didn't adopt their Claret n Boo colour's until 1910..and even then in was in homage to Aston Villa.

Wonder who influenced their early kits!!😆

I tell that one to Burnley fans. I say they used to be called Burnley Rovers and they played in horizontal blue and white halves. Probably copying off Blackburn then they copied off Aston Villa as they were a successful team at the time. They hate it and they might as well be sticking their fingers in their ears saying "blah blah blah can't hear you!" when I explain it.

• Like 1

Not sure what’s ‘unfair’ about it? Those are the EFL rules, so perfectly fair.

End of the day opposition fans have obviously enjoyed years of having a huge crowd in the Darwen End, cracking day out, I’m sure.

But it was purely to fill club coffers, no club was ever entitled to it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, goozburger said:

Not sure this is the smartest thing for someone to do, but a Dingle supporter called Rick Muller claims he has secured tickets for him and his two adult children in the "home end". Hopefully the club will be shit-hot on this and rat out any silly idiots from up the road getting in the home ends. I'm not sure how, but I suspect it will be a problem on the day.

He has done exceptionally well because they aren't on sale yet. There will be idiots claiming to have tickets all over Ewood as we get closer to the game but, as we have seen before there will be none anywhere apart from the Darwen End on the day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hasta said:

No they didn't. They gave all Premier League for the last couple of years 2200 tickets, and have given all clubs this year 2200 tickets. Home fans have been in the other half of that stand for the last few years. Burnley treated Rovers no differently than they have every Championship or Premier League club in recent times.

I don't think it's the right decision. I'm enjoying the meltdown, but I don't think it's particularly right or fair.

I didn't say they'd done it this season, they have made the decision to halve the away end,if they hadn't I would have probably got a ticket for their place. 

Rovers haven't got a bigger ground for their benefit, if the club think their allocation is to our benefit, then they've done right. 

Whether it is remains to be seen. 

48 minutes ago, arbitro said:

He has done exceptionally well because they aren't on sale yet. There will be idiots claiming to have tickets all over Ewood as we get closer to the game but, as we have seen before there will be none anywhere apart from the Darwen End on the day.

Unless he has bought the final 5 offer of course.

Which makes him even more of a berk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M_B said:

I didn't say they'd done it this season, they have made the decision to halve the away end,if they hadn't I would have probably got a ticket for their place. 

Rovers haven't got a bigger ground for their benefit, if the club think their allocation is to our benefit, then they've done right. 

Whether it is remains to be seen. 

And as I keep saying, Norwich, Coventry and Luton are equally as important to our league position so if the reason is because it is to our benefit why are we giving those teams as many as they can sell. 

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1