BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Dingles

3 minutes ago, booth said:

If he goes it'll be interesting to see who Burnley go for next.

Yep. I think he’ll go this Summer. There are too many good established Premier League clubs looking for a manager for him to stay at the dingles. He won’t be able to out buy the rest of the league in the Prem though. We see how he goes on then. 

• Like 2

Yes, I'd still be surprised if Levy and Spurs came in for him as they tend to fancy themselves and go after managers who have been there and done it at the top level - Conte, Mourinho, Pochettino, AVB, Ramos - won trophies and managed at the top level.

But beyond Spurs you've got PL clubs in Leicester, Leeds, Palace, possibly West Ham all of whom can offer more than he gets at present. It would be strange yet typical for all of that lot to look elsewhere and leave him where he is.

I'd be amazed if a premier league team goes for VK, yet anyway.

Of course he's done a good job but he's done it with a significant wedge of cash and a chance to bring in his own players for the most part.  Not saying they've bought the league as that's childish, he's had an advantage most managers would love though.

Whether he can succeed next season remains to be seen.....City paggered them in the cup because he tried to play the same way, there's no doubt he'll need to adjust certain things.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

I'd be amazed if a premier league team goes for VK, yet anyway.

Of course he's done a good job but he's done it with a significant wedge of cash and a chance to bring in his own players for the most part.  Not saying they've bought the league as that's childish, he's had an advantage most managers would love though.

Whether he can succeed next season remains to be seen.....City paggered them in the cup because he tried to play the same way, there's no doubt he'll need to adjust certain things.

But they most certainly have.

They did it the 'right way' with selling assets first, but they've spent an eye watering amount of money on the transfer outlay alone, never mind the wages these boys will be on.

Give JDT £40million this window and lets see where we end up!

13 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

They did it the 'right way' with selling assets first, but they've spent an eye watering amount of money on the transfer outlay alone, never mind the wages these boys will be on.

Spot on, the money spent seems to get glossed over and forgotten. He has done really well, but it's hardly a Paul Daniels job. It's also the players he got left with, he's had £40 million on top of the likes of Barnes, Brownhill and the others who have been a mainstay in their team all season. 

If Tomasson got Rovers up, then" that's magic".

• Like 6

4 hours ago, M_B said:

Spot on, the money spent seems to get glossed over and forgotten. He has done really well, but it's hardly a Paul Daniels job. It's also the players he got left with, he's had £40 million on top of the likes of Barnes, Brownhill and the others who have been a mainstay in their team all season. 

If Tomasson got Rovers up, then" that's magic".

If anybody gets Rovers up it’ll be magic. Overcoming the “ added degree of difficulty “ that is the Chicken Chokers would be miraculous.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Mellor Rover said:

I disagree with the whole 'bought the league' argument fans wheel out, heard it ourselves many times about '95. Usually from the mouths or keyboards of fans of teams who funnily enough have never managed to win it themselves. Of course it gives you an advantage having cash to spend, but how many teams have pissed money away over the years with nothing to show?

VK has been VERY fortunate in that he's been allowed to bring all his own players in, whilst also getting shut of some deadwood by default. I mean of their departures who has even been a success?

Collins is usually a sub for Wolves.

Cornet has barely played (not sure if he's been injured though). I forgot he even existed till I saw a video of him being chased by a dog the other day 😕

McNeil I've never ever understood the fuss on, Everton definitely had their pants pulled down there.

Pope is a good un, don't think that was ever in doubt.

Tarkowski and Mee I guess are doing OK.

The rest don't deserve a mention and a few are without a club still I think? It just adds to the dingle argument about all the players they 'lost' so HAD to sign replacements.

A few of their better players are also loans, not sure if there's scope to make them permanent though or they'll have big gaps to fill again.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If anybody gets Rovers up it’ll be magic. Overcoming the “ added degree of difficulty “ that is the Chicken Chokers would be miraculous.

When you've got the senior management of the club activity working against you, to get Rovers promoted would be an absolute miracle.

• Like 2

On 12/04/2023 at 13:19, 1864roverite said:

On the contrary it’s a far more bigger game for Dingle FC due to the current circs ....

Are you being serious ? We're already up, whilst Rovers lie in 6th place, holding on to the last play off spot. You have a tough " run in ", based on League positions but 4 of your remaining games are at Ewood, including this one ...

This is the best chance you've had of returning go the top flight since relegation in 2012, and you're seriously suggesting it's a bigger game for us ?? For these four games, the Club should be offering £10/£15 tickets with free admission for children to try to maximise home advantage for these games, with the aim of roaring you into the play-offs on the back of some great results.

It's a crucial game for Rovers, surely ... or have the fatalists won after 1 point out of the last 9, with their " here we go again, end of season collapse " mentality ?

• Like 5

• Backroom
4 hours ago, Ossydave said:

Cornet has barely played (not sure if he's been injured though). I forgot he even existed till I saw a video of him being chased by a dog the other day 😕

He seems more famous for this nowadays:

20 minutes ago, sympatheticclaret said:

here we go again, end of season collapse " reality ?

Ftfy. 😉

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, sympatheticclaret said:

Are you being serious ? We're already up, whilst Rovers lie in 6th place, holding on to the last play off spot. You have a tough " run in ", based on League positions but 4 of your remaining games are at Ewood, including this one ...

This is the best chance you've had of returning go the top flight since relegation in 2012, and you're seriously suggesting it's a bigger game for us ?? For these four games, the Club should be offering £10/£15 tickets with free admission for children to try to maximise home advantage for these games, with the aim of roaring you into the play-offs on the back of some great results.

It's a crucial game for Rovers, surely ... or have the fatalists won after 1 point out of the last 9, with their " here we go again, end of season collapse " mentality ?

True, that was an absolutely ludicrous statement.

This game is huge for both teams but we really need to win it.

Hopefully we actually bother to turn up this time.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, sympatheticclaret said:

Unfortunately the more fans we have there, the more the players seem to shit themselves and underperform, Norwich a recent example! Stage fright or something I guess but it's happened a few times over the past couple of years.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ossydave said:

I disagree with the whole 'bought the league' argument fans wheel out, heard it ourselves many times about '95. Usually from the mouths or keyboards of fans of teams who funnily enough have never managed to win it themselves. Of course it gives you an advantage having cash to spend, but how many teams have pissed money away over the years with nothing to show?

VK has been VERY fortunate in that he's been allowed to bring all his own players in, whilst also getting shut of some deadwood by default. I mean of their departures who has even been a success?

Collins is usually a sub for Wolves.

McNeil I've never ever understood the fuss on, Everton definitely had their pants pulled down there.

Pope is a good un, don't think that was ever in doubt.

Tarkowski and Mee I guess are doing OK.

The rest don't deserve a mention and a few are without a club still I think? It just adds to the dingle argument about all the players they 'lost' so HAD to sign replacements.

A few of their better players are also loans, not sure if there's scope to make them permanent though or they'll have big gaps to fill again.

A little look at what Chelsea have spent and their league position tells you how right that is.

9 hours ago, sympatheticclaret said:

Look at this way. If Rovers were already up and had to face Burnley at their place, an end of season derby with the prospect of lifting the trophy I would try every trick in the book to get to the game, home end, disability or corporate, just to say to my dingle friends I was there and to rub their faces in it for bragging rights. I would be that important.

That's the potential kudos of a win at Ewood for Burnley whereas for Rovers, there is little expectation of going up its just about not getting beaten at home again - this is of course my opinion. 

I have been to every Rovers v Burnley game since 1970 and as I got older I always looked forward to playing them be it a league game or cup game with excitement, I do not have the same feeling this time. It would be great to beat them or just not to lose.

I am sure Burnley fans have a mouth watering feeling of beating us, doing the double and getting the trophy and that's why I think its much bigger game wise for them.

9 hours ago, sympatheticclaret said:

No he just likes being a contrarian these days (well I hope that’s the explanation or he has even less of a clue than I thought).

Like a game for a club already champions and having a late season kick about is ‘far bigger’ than for one still chasing promotion, a promotion that could fundamentally transform BRFC.

Edited by Mattyblue

4 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

Look at this way. If Rovers were already up and had to face Burnley at their place, an end of season derby with the prospect of lifting the trophy I would try every trick in the book to get to the game, home end, disability or corporate, just to say to my dingle friends I was there and to rub their faces in it for bragging rights. I would be that important.

That's the potential kudos of a win at Ewood for Burnley whereas for Rovers, there is little expectation of going up its just about not getting beaten at home again - this is of course my opinion. 

I have been to every Rovers v Burnley game since 1970 and as I got older I always looked forward to playing them be it a league game or cup game with excitement, I do not have the same feeling this time. It would be great to beat them or just not to lose.

I am sure Burnley fans have a mouth watering feeling of beating us, doing the double and getting the trophy and that's why I think its much bigger game wise for them.

You have been spending lots of time with Waggott.

49 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You have been spending lots of time with Waggott.

Where do you adduce that from ? Not spoken directly to him this season for what its worth. Others may be but not him.

Just look at the poll on this forum, over 52% expect NOT to reach the play offs, I am sure this is mirrored very similar in other forums and Rovers fans alike.

Ticket sales look pretty modest thus far - I'd say the Riverside about 20-30% full, BBE lower will sell out. JW currently on about 40-50%. I know they could have done some more imaginative pricing, but for most clubs £30 for a local derby would guarantee a decent crowd. Maybe more will buy after the Coventry game. 

We aren’t ‘most clubs’. Most clubs don’t have 17/18k empty seats every week. £30 to £35 was only a ‘good’ idea when there was a full DEnd of away support to fleece.

With only 2k of them, what are they expecting to see for a midweek Sky game at those prices? As a standard we only ever usually get 4/5k walk ons for Dingle league games (and they are usually at weekends too) so of course with only c9.5k ST holders these days, this was always going to be the outcome.

As an example in 2015/16 (our last league game with them at Ewood) there was 19,900 on with 4.5k away fans (so 15,400 home)

It should have been £20 and a big push to fill as many of the 23,000 non DE seats as possible, but no, let’s still make it £30-£35 (even though there’s now no big away support to milk) and just expect them to sell themselves as it’s a derby. 

It’s turning out exactly how a few of us said when they went on sale. Alas, this is what happens when the powers that be fundamentally don’t understand their own fanbase.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 7

25 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

We aren’t ‘most clubs’. Most clubs don’t have 17/18k empty seats every week. £30 to £35 was only a ‘good’ idea when there was a full DEnd of away support to fleece.

With only 2k of them, what are they expecting to see for a midweek Sky game at those prices? As a standard we only ever usually get 4/5k walk ons for Dingle league games (and they are usually at weekends too) so of course with only c9.5k ST holders these days, this was always going to be the outcome.

As an example in 2015/16 (our last league game with them at Ewood) there was 19,900 on with 4.5k away fans (so 15,400 home)

It should have been £20 and a big push to fill as many of the 23,000 non DE seats as possible, but no, let’s still make it £30-£35 (even though there’s now no big away support to milk) and just expect them to sell themselves as it’s a derby. 

It’s turning out exactly how a few of us said when they went on sale. Alas, this is what happens when the powers that be fundamentally don’t understand their own fanbase.

When I mentioned decent crowd, I wasn't referring to a sell out or anything close. I'd even count 15-16,000 home fans as decent enough - there's no reason we shouldn't get similar to 2015, especially given our league position relative to then. Even the 5 for £99 offer I felt should have inflated numbers a touch. 

I still think it should have been £20-25, but I remember paying £35 to go to Turf Moor nearly 10 years ago, so £30 isn't totally out of the ordinary. I think even the FA Cup game in 2005 was £25, which was 18 years ago now. It might even have been £30. 

It was only a few weeks ago we had 6,000 (and could have sold 8,000) for Sheffield United away at similar prices - it seems there is a malaise around the derby, which can't have been helped by our performance vs them earlier this season, in addition to the saturation of games recently. 

1 minute ago, smiller14 said:

When I mentioned decent crowd, I wasn't referring to a sell out or anything close. I'd even count 15-16,000 home fans as decent enough - there's no reason we shouldn't get similar to 2015, especially given our league position relative to then. Even the 5 for £99 offer I felt should have inflated numbers a touch. 

I still think it should have been £20-25, but I remember paying £35 to go to Turf Moor nearly 10 years ago, so £30 isn't totally out of the ordinary. I think even the FA Cup game in 2005 was £25, which was 18 years ago now. It might even have been £30. 

It was only a few weeks ago we had 6,000 (and could have sold 8,000) for Sheffield United away at similar prices - it seems there is a malaise around the derby, which can't have been helped by our performance vs them earlier this season, in addition to the saturation of games recently. 

Why would anyone buy that though?

Individually you can buy the last 5 games for £105, and you can choose not to go to the daft ones on Saturday nights at 745,

• Like 5