BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

10 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Possible, but I really hope not.

That would potentially  turn a desperately poor transfer window into an absolutely catastrophic one.

Agree to disagree.

IF a decent portion of it is re-invested in the team it would be a sensational piece of business. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Agree to disagree.

IF a decent portion of it is re-invested in the team it would be a sensational piece of business. 

Why? Any new signings might not come off.

However my main concern would be  that despite the arrival of JDT and Broughton  we still  don't seem to be able to attract players. I can only assume this is primarily because of the wage structure we're trying to implement. That won't necessarily change because we have a few extra million burning a hole in our back sack unless they allow a good deal more flexibility for the right player.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Why? Any new signings might not come off.

However my main concern would be  that despite the arrival of JDT and Broughton  we still  don't seem to be able to attract players. I can only assume this is primarily because of the wage structure we're trying to implement. That won't necessarily change because we have a few extra million burning a hole in our back sack unless they allow a good deal more flexibility for the right player.

Time to judge is in September not now. We will get the quality signings we need before the deadline 

In a normal football world, you'd want to kick off a new season with new signings all in place and embedded in to the club so you hit the ground running with the players raring to go, competition for places high and your strongest possible team out on the park. Why we cannot do this is a mystery and why anyone should think it is acceptable is a mystery as well. It doesn't make any sense to me at all. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Time to judge is in September not now. We will get the quality signings we need before the deadline 

Of course we will Chaddy. You have yourself a nice cup of cocoa and get tucked up in beddy bys.

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

In a normal football world, you'd want to kick off a new season with new signings all in place and embedded in to the club so you hit the ground running with the players raring to go, competition for places high and your strongest possible team out on the park. Why we cannot do this is a mystery and why anyone should think it is acceptable is a mystery as well. It doesn't make any sense to me at all. 

Not in a normal world, in an ideal world. I bet there is barely a team in the league that will have all their signings in place by Saturday and not make any more.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

In September I'm sure you'll be telling us the time to judge is December/January.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Trouble is everything is starting early because of The World Cup. Those managers in place at the end of the season had an advantage. 

More games will be played this season before the window closes and managers will see who they need and don’t need. That’s when things will get hairy. 

Boro and Sheff Utd have “gone ugly early” and will on this occasion reap the benefits. 

We seem to have a lot of layers. Head  of recruitment, DOF, Waggott, JDT, and the Venkys layers.  I hope they have their job descriptions worked out before the window closes. 

24 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Yep I could understand a few pieces of the puzzle still being needing before the end of the window but to only have one piece in place right before the first fixture isn't good enough. Definitely not with the outgoings we've had over the past few years.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bigbrandjohn said:

Trouble is everything is starting early because of The World Cup. Those managers in place at the end of the season had an advantage. 

More games will be played this season before the window closes and managers will see who they need and don’t need. That’s when things will get hairy. 

Boro and Sheff Utd have “gone ugly early” and will on this occasion reap the benefits. 

We seem to have a lot of layers. Head  of recruitment, DOF, Waggott, JDT, and the Venkys layers.  I hope they have their job descriptions worked out before the window closes. 

All that is well and good, but we've known there is a strong possibility that Nyambe, Lenihan and Rothwell would leave for 12 months or more now. We knew it then, we knew it when GB arrived and we still knew it when JDT arrived, and we knew the season started a bit earlier, so to be going into the season having only replaced one of them simply isn't acceptable. Edit: Then you have to chuck in the mix that JPVH turned into a key component of the side last year as well.

I really don't understand this thought process that it's OK to do our business by the end of the window. If the EFL decreed that we wouldn't play our first seven fixtures and instead would be awarded two or three points instead, then everyone would rightly be up in arms. Yet we're potentially doing it to ourselves and most seem comfortable taking that risk.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

53 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Hope you're right chaddy. To me you can't say that with any real confidence as if we were DEFINITELY bringing in said quality signings we would already have done so  by now.

Why wouldn't you?

9 hours ago, islander200 said:

It's not ignoring it though.Some including me feel the squad as it is Is capable of winning football matches in the early part of the season before injuries and suspensions take hold. 

So, you have a feeling that it'll be alright? That's not very reassuring to me.

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Please show me which Championship club has all of it's transfer business done and the new signings embedded with the team in pre-season training.

We don't sit at the top table anymore, so unfortunately these are the rules we have to play by.

Edited by Exiled_Rover
  • Like 1

I’m expecting a very average window on the whole partly due to the delay in getting the current hierarchy in position and partly because we clearly have a restrictive transfer and wage budget. I think most of the players of the calibre we’re hoping to recruit at are at the moment above our means. So we either wait and hope as the window draws to a close there are some deals to be done, or we get offers in and spend more than we’d like to on a lower calibre of player.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

All that is well and good, but we've known there is a strong possibility that Nyambe, Lenihan and Rothwell would leave for 12 months or more now. We knew it then, we knew it when GB arrived and we still knew it when JDT arrived, and we knew the season started a bit earlier, so to be going into the season having only replaced one of them simply isn't acceptable. Edit: Then you have to chuck in the mix that JPVH turned into a key component of the side last year as well.

I really don't understand this thought process that it's OK to do our business by the end of the window. If the EFL decreed that we wouldn't play our first seven fixtures and instead would be awarded two or three points instead, then everyone would rightly be up in arms. Yet we're potentially doing it to ourselves and most seem comfortable taking that risk.

Lenihan and Rothwell were out the door before Broughton and JDT arrived. That's 100% on Mowbray and Waggot. 

If Mowbray was still in charge I'd be incredibly pessimistic about how the offseason has gone and about our upcoming season.

If we hadn't signed Brittain I'd be worried - but that's a fantastic signing. Until our new dynamic duo prove us otherwise (and their CVs suggest they're both canny operators) I refuse to believe that we're up a certain creek without a paddle. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Galgaterover10 said:

This is a serious problem on this board, people just make up facts and statistics to make a point! You are way off. Coyle signed 5 players before a ball was kicked all of them in the squad for the first game against Norwich:

stokes, Byrne, Hendrie, Greer, feeney- if you include Graham who signed on a permanent then it’s 6 players.

The issue wasn’t not signing the issue was signing absolute tosh. Surely the only time to judge is when the window is closed? If we’ve not added or it’s just kids on loan we are all right to have a meltdown but we won’t know until then.  if we end up with van hecke on a permanent in August surely that’s better then rushing out and signing someone of a lower quality early in the window?

I also think waggots getting off lightly here, broughton seems to get all the stick but in his defence he wasn’t hired until July! If waggot had pulled his finger out and made some appointments in June we might be further along.

All that is contingent on how we do in the early games with one signing.

19 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Lenihan and Rothwell were out the door before Broughton and JDT arrived. That's 100% on Mowbray and Waggot. 

If Mowbray was still in charge I'd be incredibly pessimistic about how the offseason has gone and about our upcoming season.

If we hadn't signed Brittain I'd be worried - but that's a fantastic signing. Until our new dynamic duo prove us otherwise (and their CVs suggest they're both canny operators) I refuse to believe that we're up a certain creek without a paddle. 

Yeah, Lenihan/Rothwell and even Nyambe are 100% on Mowbray and Waggott imo but the point I'd make is was that we've known for a year or more there was a strong possibility any or all of the three could be leaving and we've also known for quite some time that this was a fairly unique season with it being a winter world Cup therefore a larger proportion of the season is done and dusted this time round before the window closes and its even more advantageous to do your business early.

None of this has been sprung on us by surprise at the last minute. Perhaps I'm being unfair -Waggott is only on £300 k p.a. you can't expect him to take things like that into consideration. 🙄

If we hadn't lost RN/DL/JR in the summer I wouldn't necessarily be expecting us to have added 3 or 4 additional permanent bodies at this stage either. I did however expect us as a bare minimum to replace those 3 with equivalent quality before the season started to.put us on an even keel with last season.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Please show me which Championship club has all of it's transfer business done and the new signings embedded with the team in the pre-season training.

We don't sit at the top table anymore, so unfortunately these are the rules we have to play by.

I haven't looked so genuine question - How many other Championship Clubs have brought either none or one in?

1 hour ago, Ricky said:

Of course we will Chaddy. You have yourself a nice cup of cocoa and get tucked up in beddy bys.

More rubbish from you again 

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

In September I'm sure you'll be telling us the time to judge is December/January.

Wrong again Brucey

52 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Hope you're right chaddy. To me you can't say that with any real confidence as if we were DEFINITELY bringing in said quality signings we would already have done so  by now.

Why wouldn't you?

I'm quite confident. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Why wouldn't you?

I think the market will open up more when the Premiership teams settle on their squads for next season - having a ripple effect throughout the EFL.

When you look at our current first team, it isn't too different to last year - we are just very exposed to any injuries. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

I think the market will open up more when the Premiership teams settle on their squads for next season - having a ripple effect throughout the EFL.

When you look at our current first team, it isn't too different to last year - we are just very exposed to any injuries. 

There’s also expectations that a young side should naturally improve. Travis, Buckley, Wharton, Dolan and Pickering should all be better this season than last.