BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

1 hour ago, Butty said:

Where’s the usual final paragraph?

”Which is why I’ve lumped on Rovers at 11/10, great value and one of the home bankers of the weekend” 

I want another ban on Mercer betting on Rovers, or at least posting about it.

Stopped for a season when we were in league one and look what happened.

Take one for the team.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

For those saying there is plenty of time, remember what happened under Coyle and (in effect) throwing away those first 5 games. The squad wasn't strengthened to the end of the window, we lost 4 or 5 and that was the difference maker. 

Sure there were plenty of opportunities to rectify it all the way through the season but what's done cannot be undone. I'd have thought after that not too distant debacle we wouldn't be so blase about getting signings in in decent time. 

Of course not all business would be done till the end of the window and of course it's vital to get the right people in rather than any old duffer. But we have also learnt under Venkys someone is better than no one and there are 4 first 11 places that needed filling plus squad players plus arguably Armstrong and Elliott.

That we have only done one of these so far before the start of the season is pretty alarming. Added to which this is on top of any other business that may need to be done. If Bereton goes that's another striker needed. And we don't do deals quickly - goodness there's only so much time in the day under the most competent of outfits - so leaving it all to the last minute seems dangerous in the extreme. 

There's two ways of looking at that though. Yes, those losses were very important in us eventually going down. But the bigger problem was that the squad was poor over the whole season (until Mowbray took over at least) and a lot of that was due as much to the signings that were in early as much as missing those who were in later on. 

Put it this way, what did more harm? Not signing Emnes, Gally etc. a couple of games early, or going into the season expecting the likes of Stokes, Greer, Byrne and Samuelsen to be first teamers?

Sounds like an obvious point, but we can afford to wait if it's what is needed to get the right players in. 

Edited by Admiral Nelsen
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Neal said:

Not convinced we should be spending anything like 3 million on Bermancevic. Rather see that spent on someone familiar with this league. 

Trouble is to get that you have to pay over the odds or wait until a player nears the end of his contract. We're best shopping abroad if it means players can use us as a window to get a big move. Much better than the loans where we get nothing in return for a player doing well here. 

I've no idea who the lad is the one thing I know is we need numbers. I'm trying not to panic. I'm getting excited for Saturday now, i just hope Burnley lose Friday night to take the pressure off in my house 😅.

25 minutes ago, Jlee1984 said:

Someone just asked on Twitter. With kounde joining Barca, will they then use the funds for Brereton? It makes sense if they are serious, massive decision for the lad specially when expecting

I feel like this must be a joke, and yet I can't make out the punchline.

24 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

I honestly think the best thing to do is invest in getting Diaz to sign a new deal…He’s a proven goal scorer at this level…How do we know his money will be invested straight away…we’re then left with Gallagher & Vale.

As if any salary we offer Brereton would be enough. Why on earth would he sign a contract with us under any circumstances when a PL club might come in for him this summer? 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

For those saying there is plenty of time, remember what happened under Coyle and (in effect) throwing away those first 5 games. The squad wasn't strengthened to the end of the window, we lost 4 or 5 and that was the difference maker. 

Sure there were plenty of opportunities to rectify it all the way through the season but what's done cannot be undone. I'd have thought after that not too distant debacle we wouldn't be so blase about getting signings in in decent time. 

Of course not all business would be done till the end of the window and of course it's vital to get the right people in rather than any old duffer. But we have also learnt under Venkys someone is better than no one and there are 4 first 11 places that needed filling plus squad players plus arguably Armstrong and Elliott.

That we have only done one of these so far before the start of the season is pretty alarming. Added to which this is on top of any other business that may need to be done. If Bereton goes that's another striker needed. And we don't do deals quickly - goodness there's only so much time in the day under the most competent of outfits - so leaving it all to the last minute seems dangerous in the extreme. 

This is a serious problem on this board, people just make up facts and statistics to make a point! You are way off. Coyle signed 5 players before a ball was kicked all of them in the squad for the first game against Norwich:

stokes, Byrne, Hendrie, Greer, feeney- if you include Graham who signed on a permanent then it’s 6 players.

The issue wasn’t not signing the issue was signing absolute tosh. Surely the only time to judge is when the window is closed? If we’ve not added or it’s just kids on loan we are all right to have a meltdown but we won’t know until then.  if we end up with van hecke on a permanent in August surely that’s better then rushing out and signing someone of a lower quality early in the window?

I also think waggots getting off lightly here, broughton seems to get all the stick but in his defence he wasn’t hired until July! If waggot had pulled his finger out and made some appointments in June we might be further along.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

would`nt take him long to settle,lad is a great prospect,we would treble our money on him  imo

I trust you've seen him more than I have so will i'll take your word for it but 9 goals in the Swedish league last season doesn't make me feel like he'd be exceptional in this league. At this point, i'll take what we can get because they aren't exactly queueing up to sign for us. 

32 minutes ago, Neal said:

Not convinced we should be spending anything like 3 million on Bermancevic. Rather see that spent on someone familiar with this league. 

I wonder if he's lined up as a replacement for Brereton, should we ever receive an acceptable bid for him.

Plays the same position.

3 minutes ago, Neal said:

I trust you've seen him more than I have so will i'll take your word for it but 9 goals in the Swedish league last season doesn't make me feel like he'd be exceptional in this league. At this point, i'll take what we can get because they aren't exactly queueing up to sign for us. 

i watch a bit of swedish football,he`s a good player,to good for that league,only negative is it might take time for him to get used to the insensity of english football,the top flight in sweden is nowhere near the tempo you get in britain,incidentally,martin olsson is playing out his career with malmo🙂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I genuinely wouldn't start Lenihan over Ayala or Wharton.

Ayala has achieved a great deal more in his career. Wharton and some of our other CBs have a fantastic future ahead of them. 

Lenihan and Nyambe have hit their ceiling. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

There's two ways of looking at that though. Yes, those losses were very important in us eventually going down. But the bigger problem was that the squad was poor over the whole season (until Mowbray took over at least) and a lot of that was due as much to the signings that were in early as much as missing those who were in later on. 

Put it this way, what did more harm? Not signing Emnes, Gally etc. a couple of games early, or going into the season expecting the likes of Stokes, Greer, Byrne and Samuelsen to be first teamers?

Sounds like an obvious point, but we can afford to wait if it's what is needed to get the right players in. 

14 minutes ago, Galgaterover10 said:

This is a serious problem on this board, people just make up facts and statistics to make a point! You are way off. Coyle signed 5 players before a ball was kicked all of them in the squad for the first game against Norwich:

stokes, Byrne, Hendrie, Greer, feeney- if you include Graham who signed on a permanent then it’s 6 players.

The issue wasn’t not signing the issue was signing absolute tosh. Surely the only time to judge is when the window is closed? If we’ve not added or it’s just kids on loan we are all right to have a meltdown but we won’t know until then.  if we end up with van hecke on a permanent in August surely that’s better then rushing out and signing someone of a lower quality early in the window?

I also think waggots getting off lightly here, broughton seems to get all the stick but in his defence he wasn’t hired until July! If waggot had pulled his finger out and made some appointments in June we might be further along.

I'm not making up facts at all. The point was that not getting points in the first few games - whether that's through substandard signings or lack of them - is problematic. I.e. we can't afford to write off these games. 

@Admiral Nelsenabsolutely get your point. It's probably both! I do wonder if there's an element of what you suggest though in expecting all these youngsters to fill the gaps? History, football throughout the ages, tells us some will make it and some won't. So banking on them, even for a few games is very dangerous. 

Anyway the point I'm trying to make (not as well as I thought!) is that every game counts and whilst we must get the right people in, there is a time factor and games that has to be considered. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Vilesinner said:

Ayala has achieved a great deal more in his career. Wharton and some of our other CBs have a fantastic future ahead of them. 

Lenihan and Nyambe have hit their ceiling. 

Their ceilings as good championship quality defenders with their best years ahead, just the types we need really.

• Like 5