BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

6 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I haven't looked so genuine question - How many other Championship Clubs have brought either none or one in?

Just us and Norwich that have 2 or less.

Admittedly though, that's a quick glance and you would assume that not all the signings listed are first team ones.

https://www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11095/12631265/transfer-news-summer-transfer-window-2022-championship-ins-and-outs

Edited by davulsukur
  • Like 1

It's fair to say we're always pretty shite when it comes to operating efficiently in transfer windows. 

This summer we've had the added disruption of the old manager being slowly released back into the wilds of North Yorkshire without any kind of plan to get a new one in. Waggott et al were that useless they had to get a new DoF in first to get them out of the shit and find JDT, even though the plan was to get the manager first and then the DoF (which was illogical anyway).

We also lost the head of recruitment. I'm not sure the new one has even started yet. And this is during a transfer window!

So we finally make some moves in the window, only to decide to pursue a few players whose wages we can't afford and who can get much better elsewhere. We now appear to have gone back to the old head of recruitments list of targets (Brittain etc), even though it was hinted by Sharpe and others that the delay was because we had drawn up a new list. 

It reeks of incompetence, but it's nothing new under the current regime.

Hopefully they now pull their collective fingers out and bring in 4 or 5 quality 1st team players before 1st Sept. 

Tick tock...

• Like 5

8 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

In a normal football world, you'd want to kick off a new season with new signings all in place and embedded in to the club so you hit the ground running with the players raring to go, competition for places high and your strongest possible team out on the park. Why we cannot do this is a mystery and why anyone should think it is acceptable is a mystery as well. It doesn't make any sense to me at all. 

United and Chelsea in the same boat… it’s a tough market.

3 hours ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

I think the market will open up more when the Premiership teams settle on their squads for next season - having a ripple effect throughout the EFL.

When you look at our current first team, it isn't too different to last year - we are just very exposed to any injuries. 

I'm not too sure I follow the 'waiting on Prem team argument.'  The players we appear to be targeting (or at least have been linked with) aren't premiership players.  They are league one or championship.  I can't imagine Barnsley or Blackpool - even Peterborough doing any sort of business (except a very far down the rung kid on loan).  You can throw Malmö in there as well.  I just don't see how the prem teams settling on squads, impacts signings from those clubs.

We can't be targeting experienced prem players as we can't afford wages.

Unless we are primarily looking at loaning premier League kids again.  Which, unless they are top draw like Elliott, seems counter productive to developing our own promising kids and isn't adding the much vaunted  experience. 

I'd add that I'd be thrilled and doff my cap to the board - if we were to get any 3 out of Bowler, Styles, Birmancivic (sp) and Van Hecke.

We would have got at least one over the line by now if we were realistically chasing them though.

To me, it is much more likely that  we have been unable to recruit our A/B/C  list and our now hoping for some scraps from the big boys again. 

Whilst I do feel we can put out a competitive first 11 on Saturday.  It is one that lacks pace and creativity.  There's also  an untested back 4 who won't have played together pre season.

I'd snap your hands off for 2-3 wins out of  those first 7 fixtures.

We'll live and die by who we manage to loan in, just as most teams do in this league every year

We get in players of the quality of JPvH or Elliott then we'll push for promotion

We get in players like Clarkson and Brainthwaite and we'll be struggling to get in the top half

Edited by superniko
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

I think the market will open up more when the Premiership teams settle on their squads for next season - having a ripple effect throughout the EFL.

When you look at our current first team, it isn't too different to last year - we are just very exposed to any injuries. 

Not just aimed at just you DMTP, but the part in bold shows you understand our situation aka ambition > finance, you understand the fierceness of competition between championship teams for players, and the plethora of options on bigger wages, who are waiting to see whether they get game time or if they’ll be down the pecking order at their club…

Not naming names, but why is it that posters who get this, are less panicky? Less demanding, for explanations or for people to “fess up”?

I think everyone here wants us to have the cliched “two decent players for every position” ready for Saturday, but I don’t think everyone understands the difficulty in attaining such.

Edited by JBiz
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, JBiz said:

Not just aimed at just you DMTP, but the part in bold shows you understand our situation aka ambition > finance, you understand the fierceness of competition between championship teams for players, and the plethora of options on bigger wages, who are waiting to see whether they get game time or if they’ll be down the pecking order at their club…

Not naming names, but why is it that posters who get this, are less panicky? Less demanding, for explanations or for people to “fess up”?

I think everyone here wants us to have the cliched “two decent players for every position” ready for Saturday, but I don’t think everyone understands the difficulty in attaining such.

I can't say I'm 'panicked' personally, just as long as we get most of the players we need by the close of the window. 

However, in response to your points, I'd agree it can't be easy making signings, but with two caveats:-

1) This summer has been a shitshow of incompetence, even by our standards.

2) Nearly every other club in our division seems to be making signings ok. 

This is such an atypical window for everyone with the early start. As for rovers it’s in reality a cluster €&@(. We change all senior footballing structure and takes weeks to do it. Then GB has been given a huge handicap since 3 first team players were free to leave plus the loan players leaving. So what’s happened so far is understandable. We have made one good signing so signs are positive.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Does my head in reading about "reinvesting" any money from a Diaz sale into the squad. Its like the last 11 years didn't happen for some.

It's not going to happen.

I nearly combust every time i read that although it's worse on other platforms but people on here should really know better.

The ex manager told us it wouldn't happen and it didn't.

Plenty here have explained it's all about the timing and how these fees get absorbed into the running costs. It would be a couple of million freed up in next summers budget at best. He isn't even a high earner supposedly so the wages freed up wouldn't cover a big incoming.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, davulsukur said:

Just us and Norwich that have 2 or less.

Admittedly though, that's a quick glance and you would assume that not all the signings listed are first team ones.

https://www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11095/12631265/transfer-news-summer-transfer-window-2022-championship-ins-and-outs

I don't think that list shows us up much to be honest. Looking at the ins and outs objectively, I'd say Luton, Boro, Preston, QPR, Sheff Utd, Stoke & West Brom have improved and mostly only marginally.

Personally I think West Brom have done the best business bringing in Molumby, Wallace & Swift. They do look a keeper light with Johnstone gone though. 

5 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

That lot signing some very highly rated Brazilian RB from Brugge now. They’re gonna have a whole new squad!

New players done necessary mean better though. No team who comes down with the aid or parachute payment's, usually loses this many first team players. They usually stay for at least a season to see if they can bounce back.

If you wrote all the new names down and compared them with who has left. I'd say most are downgrades. The only player I really rate and this is obviously without seeing what the new lads can do. Would be charlie Taylor. He is too good for the championship and hopefully he gets a move away aswell.

5 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

That lot signing some very highly rated Brazilian RB from Brugge now. They’re gonna have a whole new squad!

They've raked in quite a lot of cash through sales this summer as well. Did i see they've just flogged another player for £20m to Everton?

That's their business so far, don't know all of them but i'm sure we would have welcomed THB, Cullen and Twine here with open arms?

Dingles.PNG

42 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

How did that Liverpool lad Morton look last night? Apparently he played some part of the game. Any good?

Absolutely terrible by all accounts.

5 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

A lot of stories going around twitter saying Bowler is close to signing? Not believing a word but can anyone shine anymore info? 

If it’s anything like how we handled Brittain, it COULD be true

Anything remotely official?

1 hour ago, JBiz said:

It's often the case that the most accurate opinion lies between the opposite standpoints. It is, as you point out, unrealistic to expect two first team ready players per position for a club of our current stature however, patching up our depleted squad with one signing and a handful of Academy Kids is also reasonable cause for concern.

• Like 3