BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

1 hour ago, Spartakfenni said:

What happens IF the player goes to one one the biggest clubs in England and stays for the majority of his career. Then in his 30’s moves on on a free like Rooney. His club has won all the major honours and the club developing the player gets fuck all and no sell on fee. 

Then the development clubs get nothing,  I would think it's rare a 17 yo of potential, then plays for a ' better ' club into his 30s 

16 minutes ago, yeti-dog said:

So just to clarify...your clever plan to sort it would have been not to tell the press it was pretty much done & voilà 'Bob's your uncle'. 

Give Waggott his P45 and get JH Rover in now!!!

No, my clever plan would have to be honest and transparent with the fans and other stakeholders. Just say that it isn't resolved and couldn't be until he turned 17. Instead Waggott once again seized the opportunity before him to try and get some free credit in the bank by leading people on a merry dance believing that the situation was resolved. He got a big pat on the back from it and then surprise surprise it isn't sorted, far from it, and we stand to lose yet more money.

He didn't say it was 'pretty much done' either. If you read the article it says a 3 year deal is agreed and clearly implies that the situation is done and dusted and that everyone should feel good about it.

Nowhere have I said we could force him to sign a contract, and nowhere have I said we are immune to the threat of bigger clubs coming in and taking an interest. But then again patterns are emerging here that are impossible to ignore. Patterns which involve the CEO leading people to believe things are happening, or are going to happen, only for them not to. 

This corresponds to what I have been saying for months - that these people can talk the talk - promise the earth, tell us how great things are going to be at some point in the future, tell us how Player X is going to sign, how Venkys are going to provide money for players, how we are going to spend fortunes on a new training ground or new pitch. It's all jam tomorrow. 

Yet time after time people fall for it. Believe them. Then believe the sob stories and excuses that come with it when things don't happen.

I fully expect this summer to go the same way. Lots of big talk for weeks on end about how recruitment is going to kick into gear, about how we are lining up good players rather than adopting a scattergun approach, about how money is going to be invested, how we've plenty of time to do this before the end of August. Hope I'm wrong but I've seen this before. It ends with excuses, bullshit, 'we've done our best', 'money was there but we couldn't spend it'.

Hope and pray I am wrong because if I am not then the bottom 3 won't be far away this season. I know people like to think I enjoy being negative or pessimistic about things but I think that is an entirely reasonable and fair stance to take given the above examples. 

• Like 8

45 minutes ago, islander200 said:

We have heard this before "generational talent" and they havent fulfilled their potential.

If reports are correct that we are looking to sign 2 centre halves then chances are Philips will be seeing minimal action next season if at all.Granted Phillips plays in a more risky position than either but Bellingham and Elliott were playing for first team and often their better player.

Like if spurs are offering 10k we should match it?If half of Spurs first team regulars was on 10k or less per week they wouldn't be paying a prospect in line with those players.

Plus is Phillips from Blackburn?Is he a fan?

At the end of the day he moves to a big club and if as good as suggested he can be training with world class players daily working under top level managers and coaches. 

We wouldn't think twice about offering another loanee like Poveda £10k p.w. I wouldn't imagine. I'd far rather it went on one of our own  securing a fee for him in future as opposed towatching all that money go to waste when the player walks out at the end of the season.

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

Granted he cannot be fully blamed for players not signing and moving on but under his tenure the club has been commercially regressing year after year. Season tickets being a prime example of this. Maybe it wouldn't add up to player sales but at the end of the day more is still more.

The fact people are even comparing us to Preston shows how far we have fallen and we are always towards the bottom of the table when it comes to revenue. 

He is running the place into the ground and needs to be gotten rid of and replaced with someone who has a rudimentary understanding of how the capitalist system works.

I'm not going to disagree with you on that, but the conversation was regarding contracts and players not signing them. 

5 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

We wouldn't think twice about offering another loanee like Poveda £10k p.w. I wouldn't imagine. I'd far rather it went on one of our own  securing a fee for him in future as opposed towatching all that money go to waste when the player walks out at the end of the season.

I think the problem is that £10k per week may fall somewhat short of what Phillips, more likely his representatives, are looking for. 

1 hour ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

How can we hope to match the offer of a club in the Champions League who will have a turnover running in to hundreds of millions of pounds compared with ours of £17m or so ?

They have to pay gazillions out to the likes of Son and Kane as well though. They won't be giving it all to Phillips.

19 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

I think the problem is that £10k per week may fall somewhat short of what Phillips, more likely his representatives, are looking for. 

It might, it might not. It's impossible to have a definitive view on the situation without knowing the full facts.

9 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

It might, it might not. It's impossible to have a definitive view on the situation without knowing the full facts.

Agreed so we can't really blame Waggott for him not having signed a deal then can we.You know I'm not Waggotts biggest fan , and he most certainly shouldn't have been saying his contract was a done deal but In this instance it's a very tricky situation for the club.

We have already established since JB initial post the club are under no obligation to accept £250k for Phillips this season and they won't be letting him go to Spurs for that amount with no sell on.It would get more at tribunal with a sell on included

6 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

They have to pay gazillions out to the likes of Son and Kane as well though. They won't be giving it all to Phillips.

Have a look at their 2019 accounts, the last year unaffected by COVID for which accounts are available. They show turnover of £460.7m and pre tax profit of £87.3m. Our 2019 accounts show turnover of £16.7m and a pre tax loss of £18.2m. Who do you think is going to be able to make the better financial offer ? ( A clue : it won't be us )

2 hours ago, unsall said:

And how would you make him sign a professional contract, it’s very difficult how the system works, obviously with all the hype as to his talent, the big boys start sniffing and the agent wants him to sign for a big club and get his nice cut.

For all the faults Waggot has you can’t keep blaming him for everything especially in this circumstance.

Just tell me how you would get him to sign instead of Spurs, Man U etc.

What you need to do is have a meeting with Waggot and tell him how to get his signature over the line…

Bit of a smart Alec reply from you but theoretically the way to get him to sign is quite obvious isn't it. Offer him a bit less than Spurs are offering on the basis that the prospects of regular first team football will probably be a lot higher than there. And allow him a release clause so that if any PL Club wants him badly enough he can have his dream move and we get a decent fee. Everyone (fairly) happy.

IF we've done all that, then fair enough. I'd rather wager we haven't though.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Have a look at their 2019 accounts, the last year unaffected by COVID for which accounts are available. They show turnover of £460.7m and pre tax profit of £87.3m. Our 2019 accounts show turnover of £16.7m and a pre tax loss of £18.2m. Who do you think is going to be able to make the better financial offer ? ( A clue : it won't be us )

On the other hand, Markanday came the other way and joined us from Spurs so that rather shoots a hole in your argument......

• Like 3

4 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

if he wants to go down that route then then he can **** off,no doubt he`ll get lost in spurs massive player pool and by the time he`s 23 he will have played a few league cup games and have been loaned out 6 times,probably end up playing for barnet,that scenario has happened hundreds of times

It goes like this...

Some spurs agent sees a kid with potential he can get for next to nothing with a bit of smooth talking. Goes back to Spuds and tells them we can get this lad for nothing, play him in our U23s for a bit. Then he's branded a Spurs youth product then we can loan him out for a fee every season for next 5 years.

Easy money, stupid lad.

8 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

On the other hand, Markanday came the other way and joined us from Spurs so that rather shoots a hole in your argument......

Nonsense ! Markanday is 3 years older and needed to get away from Spurs to develop his career. He may well be on a higher salary with us as his reputation is not on the same level as Phillips.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Bit of a smart Alec reply from you but theoretically the way to get him to sign is quite obvious isn't it. Offer him a bit less than Spurs are offering on the basis that the prospects of regular first team football will probably be a lot higher than there. And allow him a release clause so that if any PL Club wants him badly enough he can have his dream move and we get a decent fee. Everyone (fairly)

IF we've done all that, then fair enough. I'd rather wager we haven't though.

Can we offer him the chance to work under Conte and mark Harry Kane in training?.They can offer him more money, if he is fulfilling his potential and ready to be playing regular football they can send him on loan to the championship and if he proves to be a generational talent it won't be long before he is involved in Spurs first team.Outside of the club everybody else in Phillips ear will be telling him to move on.We are supporters of the club, Phillips Is a young lad(who as far as im aware isn't from Blackburn and doesn't support the club) being told he is the best defender of his age in the Country and is likely to be 4th or 5th choice centre back for a club who have spent the last ten years in the championship. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Obviously not. 

If he'd rather do that than play regular first team football in the short term  that's up to him.

That's the important part for me - if he stays with us, he plays competitive games this season.

And if he's as good as he seemingly has the potential to be, he'll stay in the team.

Continue to do well and you earn your big move.

Go to Spurs and you're gracing the U23 league, or (at the very best) being loaned out for a number of years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

No, my clever plan would have to be honest and transparent with the fans and other stakeholders. Just say that it isn't resolved and couldn't be until he turned 17. Instead Waggott once again seized the opportunity before him to try and get some free credit in the bank by leading people on a merry dance believing that the situation was resolved. He got a big pat on the back from it and then surprise surprise it isn't sorted, far from it, and we stand to lose yet more money.

He didn't say it was 'pretty much done' either. If you read the article it says a 3 year deal is agreed and clearly implies that the situation is done and dusted and that everyone should feel good about it.

Nowhere have I said we could force him to sign a contract, and nowhere have I said we are immune to the threat of bigger clubs coming in and taking an interest. But then again patterns are emerging here that are impossible to ignore. Patterns which involve the CEO leading people to believe things are happening, or are going to happen, only for them not to. 

This corresponds to what I have been saying for months - that these people can talk the talk - promise the earth, tell us how great things are going to be at some point in the future, tell us how Player X is going to sign, how Venkys are going to provide money for players, how we are going to spend fortunes on a new training ground or new pitch. It's all jam tomorrow. 

Yet time after time people fall for it. Believe them. Then believe the sob stories and excuses that come with it when things don't happen.

I fully expect this summer to go the same way. Lots of big talk for weeks on end about how recruitment is going to kick into gear, about how we are lining up good players rather than adopting a scattergun approach, about how money is going to be invested, how we've plenty of time to do this before the end of August. Hope I'm wrong but I've seen this before. It ends with excuses, bullshit, 'we've done our best', 'money was there but we couldn't spend it'.

Hope and pray I am wrong because if I am not then the bottom 3 won't be far away this season. I know people like to think I enjoy being negative or pessimistic about things but I think that is an entirely reasonable and fair stance to take given the above examples. 

Good post JH. It's all too easy to throw your arms up in the air and say "We can't compete, we've done all we can". Anyone could do that.  All we're seeing at the moment is failure to secure our better players on new contracts resulting in them leaving either at a discount or for nothing, failure to bring in players of equivalent quality to replace them, and now seemingly an inability even to sign up our better Academy prospects. 

If we genuinely can't compete and secure our better players, bring in the right quality, or hang on to our Academy prospects, then why are we paying a CEO a salary commensurate with solving these types of problems?

If there's nothing we can do anyway, we'd be better off bringing in someone on £50k p.a. and use the saving to pay an extra player or to reduce the FFP deficit. I'm not exactly sure what Broughton's role in this either, if his remit is to get more Academy lads into the first team we could have told someone to do that with the cream of the crop. We didn't need to bring someone else in on hundreds of thousands of pounds a year to do it.

So basically, "Blackpool met the release clause, but I'd rather stay at Oxford than go to Blackpool. I've doubled my wage in exchange for an extra £1m on the release clause and an extra year on my contract. Might still leave this window"

Ps. EXACTLY what Rovers should do with Brereton-Diaz.

Edited by Angry_Pirate
Caps.
  • Like 8

5 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

So basically, "Blackpool met the release clause, but I'd rather stay at Oxford than go to Blackpool. I've doubled my wage in exchange for an extra £1m on the release clause and an extra year on my contract. Might still leave this window"

Ps. EXACTLY what Rovers should do with Brereton-Diaz.

Don't be silly. That would call for a bit of ingenuity and thinking outside the box.

• Like 3