BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

3 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Which, importantly, sounds like he's the right type of player for the way JDT wants to play.

I think it’s exactly that mate. I was told by a member of the coaching team a week after JDT was appointed that he is VERY specific about how he wants to play. They’d been doing his pressing drill for days!

The intimation at that point was that the players they would target would have to be tireless runners as well as being able to play fast, one and two touch football.

Brittain and Szmodics appear to tick these boxes as does Styles. Not sure on Bowler re his running stats etc 

• Like 2

Just now, Paul Mani said:

I think it’s exactly that mate. I was told by a member of the coaching team a week after JDT was appointed that he is VERY specific about how he wants to play. They’d been doing his pressing drill for days!

The intimation at that point was that the players they would target would have to be tireless runners as well as being able to play fast, one and two touch football.

Brittain and Szmodics appear to tick these boxes as does Styles. Not sure on Bowler re his running stats etc 

And to think only a few months ago we had old Tone focussing on developing other team's players whilst not looking at the league table 🤮 Haven't been this excited about a season starting for years! 

Could do with a few more bodies mind 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

I’ve literally no opinion on it either way as I can’t recall ever seeing him play.

I haven’t seen him either, his profile is interesting…

Champ experience

Rarely injured

High energy

Tidy one and two touch

Could put Brittain in those too…seems like a plan!

• Like 1

Just now, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

And to think only a few months ago we had old Tone focussing on developing other team's players whilst not looking at the league table 🤮 Haven't been this excited about a season starting for years! 

Could do with a few more bodies mind 

In comparison, Tony was much less focussed on a philosophy and tactics as such. He put trust in the players to find a way. Dack given a free role to ‘get caught up in the game’ etc…

Different styles I guess…can’t see anyone getting a ‘free role’ in JDT’s Rovers though.

• Like 2

I personally won’t be getting overly excited by players coming in from Barnsley/Peterborough who I haven’t seen.

I need to have a look at them first, but of course, I trust the judgment of JDT/GB, and yes I am happy to see some actual scouting and bringing in of permanent signings with plenty of games under their belts, that are ready to hit the ground running. Not just ‘ones for the future’ or loans.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I personally won’t be getting overly excited by players coming in from Barnsley/Peterborough who I haven’t seen.

I need to have a look at them first, but of course, I trust the judgment of JDT/GB, and yes I am happy to see some actual scouting and bringing in of permanent signings with plenty of games under their belts, that are ready to hit the ground running. Not just ‘ones for the future’ or loans.

Me too…I do genuinely like Brittain and Styles who have stood out to me in every game I’ve seen them in. I have asked those around me on a couple of occasions, how on Earth those two haven’t had big moves!!

Haven’t seen anything of Szmodics or Bowler for that matter.

The really interesting point about the targeted players is their profile. Proof there is a desired style of play and that there’s a plan!! 🙌🏽

• Like 1

If we're saying Szmodics is a replacement for Rothwell, as a direct comparison, I don't see how he's being seen as overpriced. 

I also don't see the point in screaming for a change in management, then questioning one of the first things that they do. 

It's the club's money and they'll spend it as they see fit. As always,at the end of the day, they will be judged by their results. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

You have to question just how many times JDT/GB have seen them play too Matty, maybe they've found John Parks scouting book dumped at the back of The Riverside.

We need bodies in, players with experience, its a start.

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Decent player, but they should be wearing masks at 2.5m seems to be the general consensus on their forum…

You'd hope a chunk of that is performance based, and if it is then he'll be worth the money.

I doubt it's £2.5m in cash delivered direct to fat Barry. 

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

I think it was also mentioned that he likes players who can run in behind the defence. Watching Sczmodics highlights that's exactly what he does.

I'll be ridiculed, but he genuinely reminds me of Bellamy a bit. Craig, not David. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, M_B said:

If we're saying Szmodics is a replacement for Rothwell, as a direct comparison, I don't see how he's being seen as overpriced. 

I also don't see the point in screaming for a change in management, then questioning one of the first things that they do. 

It's the club's money and they'll spend it as they see fit. As always,at the end of the day, they will be judged by their results. 

Rothwell cost circa 400k and we got zero for him. 

Szmodics is potentially 7 times more expensive as a direct replacement.  In that light - he's overpriced.

The guy was also clearly second fiddle in terms of ability to Dembele - who left for a million less.  

However, as you say, if he fits with what the new management want - you sometimes have to overpay to get what you want.  

This is where things blur with the new dof/coach structure.  

Has JDT said 'Szmodics is the guy I want' 

Or is he simply the best that Broughton feels he can recruit...

Either way, £2.5 million is overpriced at this point of time.  

But if he fits the style JDT wants and has a good season, then in hindsight it won't be. 

Such is how managers and signings are judged. 

6 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Rothwell cost circa 400k and we got zero for him. 

Szmodics is potentially 7 times more expensive as a direct replacement.  In that light - he's overpriced.

The guy was also clearly second fiddle in terms of ability to Dembele - who left for a million less.  

However, as you say, if he fits with what the new management want - you sometimes have to overpay to get what you want.  

This is where things blur with the new dof/coach structure.  

Has JDT said 'Szmodics is the guy I want' 

Or is he simply the best that Broughton feels he can recruit...

Either way, £2.5 million is overpriced at this point of time.  

But if he fits the style JDT wants and has a good season, then in hindsight it won't be. 

Such is how managers and signings are judged. 

I was going off being offered £3 million for Rothwell with 6 months left on his contract and scoring 3 goals last season. 

Rothwell hadn't played a Championship game when Rovers bought him, Szmodics scored twice as many goals as Rothwell in the Championship last season and has plenty experience at Championship level. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

I think it’s better to wait on what the fee is Matty, I can’t honestly see it being anywhere near £2.5m other than if he takes us up!

Either way though, it’s hard to criticise the club / owners who seem to be putting their money where their mouth is! 👍🏼

Will probably be undisclosed anyway. 

• Like 1

From what I’ve seen of Szmodics there are similarities to Rothwell, he’s skillful and travels quickly with the ball at his feet. Things seem to suggest he may have a better end product too.

2.5m does seem steep but I really can’t see that being accurate, I’d bet it’s just over half of that with performance based add-ons as others have suggested.

I honestly think he’ll be a great addition, he did well last season in a terrible side - he should thrive here with much more quality around him.

Edited by TheRevAshton
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, TheRevAshton said:

From what I’ve seen of Szmodics there are similarities to Rothwell, he’s skillful and travels quickly with the ball at his feet. Things seem to suggest he may have a better end product too.

2.5m does seem steep but I really can’t see that being accurate, I’d bet it’s just over half of that with performance based add-ons as others have suggested.

I honestly think he’ll be a great addition, he did well last season in a terrible side - he should thrive here with much more quality around him.

Sounds encouraging. 

4 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

I haven’t seen him either, his profile is interesting…

Champ experience

Rarely injured

High energy

Tidy one and two touch

Could put Brittain in those too…seems like a plan!

The Brentford model 😁

• Like 1