BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

10 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Ramdon input RE: Lowe.

Jason Lowe was better than Richie Smallwood, nothing will change my mind.

Interesting to see both are now Captains of L2 promotion hopeful clubs in Salford and Bradford.

Lowe has captained Rovers, Bolton and Salford and amassed 186 games in the CH (140+ here), and played 120 since dropping down since 2020.

Smallwood, whilst playing in 232 Championship games, with a near perfect injury history, managed only 32 for us, and many couldn't wait to see the back of him for Travis/Reed. Probably 25 games too many.

Smallwood has played 61 CH for Middlesbrough (as a young/squad option), 108 at a piss poor Rotherham (21st, 21st, 24th) and 42 at 19th placed promoted Hull last season.

Buckley is miles better than both.

I'll always have him down as a tosser for sitting on his contract here but his agents and Mowbray are equally as bad for allowing it.  And that goon of a ceo.

However both being of lge 1 or 2 ability there is no way Lowe is better, non.

Smallwood captained Hull to winning lge 1 i think ?   Then staying up in the Champ and he was everything Lowe wouldn't have been in lge 1 for us.

Lowe was beyond useless in our relegation season then was on a free and only perennial crisis club Brum were interested were he predictably flopped quickly. Then only crisis club and skint Bolton were interested where he played in their worst side in recent history before dropping again to Salford.

Thank god those days are gone and thank god for the academy.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Ramdon input RE: Lowe.

Jason Lowe was better than Richie Smallwood, nothing will change my mind.

Interesting to see both are now Captains of L2 promotion hopeful clubs in Salford and Bradford.

Lowe has captained Rovers, Bolton and Salford and amassed 186 games in the CH (140+ here), and played 120 since dropping down since 2020.

Smallwood, whilst playing in 232 Championship games, with a near perfect injury history, managed only 32 for us, and many couldn't wait to see the back of him for Travis/Reed. Probably 25 games too many.

Smallwood has played 61 CH for Middlesbrough (as a young/squad option), 108 at a piss poor Rotherham (21st, 21st, 24th) and 42 at 19th placed promoted Hull last season.

Buckley is miles better than both.

Nope, he definitely wasn't better than Smallwood. Nothing will change my mind either.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Surely Performance coach and technical coach can't be poles apart when it comes to the day to day stuff ?

Maybe they are expanding it or maybe slightly altering it in which case i'd keep a close eye on it they could ease a few out as time goes on.

Must be costing an absolute fortune now the backroom stuff.

It was athletic performance, or whatever I said before. A technical coach would focus on the technical side of the game. Technique, maybe tactics. Athletic performance would all be about fitness and pretty much nothing else. At least that's how I understand it.

29 minutes ago, tonyoz said:

Kevin Andrews

I was gonna say (Keith) Andrews, but a quick look at the wiki suggested he didn't use him much. A closer look now though tells me it was only the last season he fell out of favour with just 5 apps, but that was probably partly cos Sam got sacked. Before then he was a fairly regular feature. Wasn't as dire as Lowe anyway, for me. Poor though for the Prem.

2 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I was gonna say (Keith) Andrews, but a quick look at the wiki suggested he didn't use him much. A closer look now though tells me it was only the last season he fell out of favour with just 5 apps, but that was probably partly cos Sam got sacked. Before then he was a fairly regular feature. Wasn't as dire as Lowe anyway, for me. Poor though for the Prem.

Biggest difference for me between Andrews and Lowe was that Andrews always put a shift in and never hid. That was sometimes to his detriment as he was clearly not good enough for the Prem!

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, oneandycrawford said:

Biggest difference for me between Andrews and Lowe was that Andrews always put a shift in and never hid. That was sometimes to his detriment as he was clearly not good enough for the Prem!

I actually used to feel quite sorry for Andrews. I mean he was shit and had no business being in the Premier League but as you say, he always tried, just woefully out his depth. Can't have been easy week after week knowing 20k of your own fans all think you're crap. The money probably helped mind

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

It was athletic performance, or whatever I said before. A technical coach would focus on the technical side of the game. Technique, maybe tactics. Athletic performance would all be about fitness and pretty much nothing else. At least that's how I understand it.

Well it's a fitness guy they are after to replace the one whose left so separate to those two i'd assume.

Edited by tomphil

14 minutes ago, oneandycrawford said:

Don't agree really. The one thing you could say about Lowe was he always put a shift in. He did cover a lot of ground. Hiding from receiving the ball, I would agree he was sometimes guilty of. The biggest difference between the two was simply that Andrews had better technique. It wasn't good enough, but he could occasionally pass and shoot. 5 goals for us in 70 games compared to 1 in 173. 47 career goals to Lowe's 7. His passing was unambitious of course, but so was Lowe's.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tomphil said:

Well it's a fitness guy they are after to replace the one whose left so separate to those two i'd assume.

I thought Ben Rosen had been brought in to replace Chris Rush (the fitness guy). Unless there was another that has scarpered too. You're right we have been bringing in a lot of backroom staff but we've been losing a lot too.

18 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Guess we all have a preference to how we prefer shit to smell! 🤣

Haha fair comment! Although Smallwood was actually invaluable to us in League One. And although I did say at the time I thought Lowe might have been more at his level if he had stuck around that season, I don't think he would have proven invaluable at that level at all. Sadly Smallwood was poor in the Championship, but for me not as poor as Lowe was. But then we're back onto faecal fragrances.

8 minutes ago, Displaced Rover said:

I actually used to feel quite sorry for Andrews. I mean he was shit and had no business being in the Premier League but as you say, he always tried, just woefully out his depth. Can't have been easy week after week knowing 20k of your own fans all think you're crap. The money probably helped mind

keiths big problem was coming he thought he was better than he was,if he had tried to keep things simple he would`nt have got the pelters that everyone gave him week after week,he was a world class pointer though,if pointing was an olympic sport he`d be a multiple gold medal winner

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

If he signs for Burnley then last season was a lie.

They are absolutely throwing money around tho.

That’s where the fear lies. They’ve got money, they’re fancied to go up and their manager is an iconic CB.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Finlay McKenna said:

Says a lot he was the best RWB at the club last season (Barring the ever present zeefuik)

Don’t know about scapegoating Pickering (who was lucky not to be subbed at half time against QPR), but this sounds like some serious revisionism regarding Nyambe!

Having been at the game and watched it with my own eyes, I can’t believe the ‘Pickering lost the ball 20 times in 90 minutes’ stat.

He had a decent game without being as impressive as Brittain down the other flank.

I do agree with the scapegoating comment - Rovers fans always have to have someone to negatively focus on. I like Pickering and whilst he clearly has areas to in, he’s shown us that he’s got some quality and he’s still young enough to improve a lot.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Lowe is the worst footballer to ever play for Blackburn Rovers more than semi regularly and nothing will change my mind.

Jason Lowe made me take a step back from taking football so seriously. It was the Brentford game he got the ball in the centre circle and started running and running towards the sideline, he didn't stop, he literally ran the ball from the centre circle out of play. I'd already fallen out with the wife that day as I was wound up about the relegation and thought, why the hell am I stressed about this sport when this guy is a professional and this bad.

• Like 8