BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

2 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

To be fair, in that first video he's trying to Cruyff turn and it ends up behind him...

I would say you're playing pretty fast and loose with the phrase "to be fair", but each to their own.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, XLM said:

I would say you're playing pretty fast and loose with the phrase "to be fair", but each to their own.

Not really that arsed, to be fair.

17 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Very intrigued to see where this Liverpool lad is going to play. Of course, in the new year he’ll be a shoe in, once Ayala heads off on vacation. But until then? Never hurts having more quality players, mind.

I like the idea of three at the back, especially now we have a proper right wing back and Edun might be improving. No idea if we'll actually go down this route or not but something like:

TK

Sepp           Ayala/New           Wharton

Brittain                                                          Pickering/Edun

Travis         Buckley

Hedges 

Gallagher                   Brereton

Although then you're struggling to accommodate our more attacking players - Szmodics, Markanday, Dack, Dolan and Vale all on the bench or not in the squad - so maybe not. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I like the idea of three at the back, especially now we have a proper right wing back and Edun might be improving. No idea if we'll actually go down this route or not but something like:

TK

Sepp           Ayala/New           Wharton

Brittain                                                          Pickering/Edun

Travis         Buckley

Hedges 

Gallagher                   Brereton

Although then you're struggling to accommodate our more attacking players - Szmodics, Markanday, Dack, Dolan and Vale all on the bench or not in the squad - so maybe not. 

You can get smodic in ahead of Gallagher....jeez I can play ahead of Gallagher 

The back 3 as a plan B to see out games has a semblance of sense but just because we could have a third centre back doesn't mean we need to play all 3.

It also seems counter productive to play a formation that doesn't include a number 10 where both our best player and main summer signing play.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

The back 3 as a plan B to see out games has a semblance of sense but just because we could have a third centre back doesn't mean we need to play all 3.

It also seems counter productive to play a formation that doesn't include a number 10 where both our best player and main summer signing play.

Ben Brereton is our best player, not Bradley Dack.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Ye but you do have the extra body in the middle of midfield so one plays advanced of the other two linking up with rhe 2 attackers.  Dack could play that ahead of Bucko and Trav

42 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Dack isn’t our best player and Sammie can play wide

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yeti-dog said:

8 goals in 88 club appearances. He is not, it's fair to say, a goal machine.

How much do you want to bet he gets double figures this season? He’s quality, it’s not all about goals. He was the best opposition player I saw at Ewood last season. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Ben Brereton is our best player, not Bradley Dack.

6 minutes ago, Finlay McKenna said:

Dack isn’t our best player and Sammie can play wide

Even if Brereton is, he is unlikely to be here past the window.

But either way, Dack is a key player if fit and Szmodics prefers to play as a number 10 so even if Dack isn't playing, why sign Szmodics and make do elsewhere?

13 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

But either way, Dack is a key player if fit and Szmodics prefers to play as a number 10 so even if Dack isn't playing, why sign Szmodics and make do elsewhere?

JDT has banged on about flexibility, I'd imagine this is why

12 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

With Brereton, unless someone makes a £20m bid he will be here for the season. I think we can safely say it's unlikely he'll be sold

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Do you think? I'd be very surprised if he left now. There doesn't seem to be much concrete interest in him. I bet some are monitoring but would prefer to wait until January at a knock-off price or free next summer (which would be a nightmare for us...).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Very intrigued to see where this Liverpool lad is going to play. Of course, in the new year he’ll be a shoe in, once Ayala heads off on vacation. But until then? Never hurts having more quality players, mind.

Well he'd have played against Swansea (JDT made a tactical change and shifted Pickering to CB to accommodate Edun at LWB in a 5) and against Hartlepool... so the minutes will be there.

Yeah I still can't see him staying, nor can we afford to keep him really. Teams will get more desperate as the window goes on. If he even stays until January, he can sign a pre-contractual agreement abroad.

The sensible thing to do is to try and sell him for as much as possible and reinvest a good proportion back on another potential goalscorer. We can't let him go for free, the ones that left this summer are a different kettle of fish in that there are questions over whether anyone would have come in offering money even if they were contracted, bar Rothwell who himself attracted bids of a few million amidst a promotion push by Bournemouth. Like Armstrong, Brereton is worth lots more than Lenihan/Rothwell/Nyambe and it is a different prospect altogether.

@Finlay McKenna who would? Obviously I am assuming a reasonable recovery, but easy to forget how good he is.

• Like 1