BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

Problem with the squad at the moment is we have too many 'bench players' and not enough genuine first teamers.

Kaminski

Ayala

Wharton

Travis 

Dack (and that's on past glory)

Brereton

Brittain (because there are no alternatives).

Hedges on current form. 

After that we struggle. 

Buckley should be a first teamer but he's inconsistent. 

Gallagher 

Dolan 

Zsmodics

Pickering

Morton

Carter

Phillips

Garret 

Adam Wharton 

JRC

They are all squad players or better coming off the bench.

At best we have 7-8 genuine first teamers. 

Definitely need at least 4 this window to be competitive.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Problem with the squad at the moment is we have too many 'bench players' and not enough genuine first teamers.

Kaminski

Ayala

Wharton

Travis 

Dack (and that's on past glory)

Brereton

Brittain (because there are no alternatives).

Hedges on current form. 

After that we struggle. 

Buckley should be a first teamer but he's inconsistent. 

Gallagher 

Dolan 

Zsmodics

Pickering

Morton

Carter

Phillips

Garret 

Adam Wharton 

JRC

They are all squad players or better coming off the bench.

At best we have 7-8 genuine first teamers. 

Definitely need at least 4 this window to be competitive.

This is a really important point. Very few were saying this until last night. 

In my view Buckley is a first teamer. He needs the midfield support to allow him to pull the strings with his control and passing. 

At the moment, he is too busy trying to help Trav do his job, as the other midfield/forwards (and defenders, actually) are awol, for differing reasons. 

One short statement from our DoF, however brief and inconclusive, would take the pressure off for a few days. 

4 signings that will improve our current position is a serious challenge. 

Crazy that what happens this week will have a massive impact on my over-winter mental health. 🤞🤔

Edited by garnersfags
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Surely worth a game or 2 to see. 

A problem being that in my opinion Batty is more suited to the Left Wing-Back role than the Left Full-back role.

What I mean is that Batty is more of an attacking player than a defensive one. If he could improve on the defensive side of his game, he would be a shoe-in.

1 hour ago, rigger said:

Most people who are criticising Pickering, are questioning his lack of pace. Would they be happy starting Jake Batty ? He has pace a plenty and is quite aggressive.

I personnally don't think Batty is ready yet. In a couple of years time, maybe.

Pickering is just one of a number of players that are going backwards under JDT, but that observation doesn't mean there is someone in the squad who could replace him.

Unless we sign a good left back, Pickering will not lose his place, as Edun is considerably worse, and maybe that is one reason for his 2 or 3 relatively complacent performances. 

This is something that may not improve this season, or at least not til Jan. 

Edited by garnersfags
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, garnersfags said:

Pickering is just one of a number of players that are going backwards under JDT, but that observation doesn't mean there is someone in the squad who could replace him.

Unless we sign a good left back, Pickering will not lose his place, as Edun is considerably worse, and maybe that is one reason for his 2 or 3 relatively complacent performances. 

This is something that may not improve this season, or at least not til Jan. 

Sorry, which players have gone backwards?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RoversClitheroe said:

I think so, Batty is class imo.

I think we have already seen again how different Championship senior football is to kids football.

Vale was banging in goals left right and centre for the under 23s last season despite having a poor goal return in non league, and looks so far away from the level it is untrue. Out of interest @chaddyrovers having seen him v QPR, Hartlepool and last night, would you loan or keep?

Phillips is the same, so highly rated but he was well of it yesterday having shown a few hesitant moments at the weekend.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think we have already seen again how different Championship senior football is to kids football.

Vale was banging in goals left right and centre for the under 23s last season despite having a poor goal return in non league, and looks so far away from the level it is untrue. Out of interest @chaddyrovers having seen him v QPR, Hartlepool and last night, would you loan or keep?

Phillips is the same, so highly rated but he was well of it yesterday having shown a few hesitant moments at the weekend.

Agreed. Time and again last night Phillips was bullied by Shane Long. Punt upfield and Long was holding his ground, letting it bounce off him and Phillips missing his header. On one occasion Phillips tried to nip in front and it skimmed off his head and out for a throw in deep in our half. 

No major criticism as he's such a young player, but if a 5'8 Shane Long was giving him trouble in the the air, it really shows its not going to be a seamless transition from youth to first team football, no matter his potential or size. It was a remarkable drop in standard from his performance vs West Brom. One other point is that every pass was short and square. The midfield were generally very poor in showing for the ball but without any adventure in the pass we are going to struggle. 

Not to pour cold water on him. The potential is clear for everyone to see. I'm just not sure he's of the required standard quite yet. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

That lot signing another player today - Macedonian winger.

Pull your bloody finger out Gregg/Waggott/Suhail.

Good for Burnley but given that they sold players for millions and they can afford to over paid whilst we can't. 

The transfer market for Championship is slow with only 2 confirmed incoming transfers so far this week

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Questions about Sammie Szmodics especially considering the fee spent.

A long way to go to start to prove that he was worth that money.

after 3 games? blimey give him a chance over a season instead of this instant judgement view. 

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

If Tomasson doesn't have any new players available by the weekend then he has been let down.

The transfer market is very slow and not a lot of transfers being made by Championship clubs. only 2 incoming transfers. its seems alot of teams are having to wait for their transfers to happen cos of clubs not releasing them yet due to injuries or waiting to sign a replacement or asking abit too much so its a waiting game if you want quality signings. 

1 hour ago, Butty said:

No need to be sarcastic Chaddy, that’s why I put a question mark because I wanted to know why you’re happy with our left back options. Do you not think Pickering is a weak link in our side? 

You already know the answer to that really. If he's a first team player at Rovers who is first choice pick for his position, Chaddy rates him. Equally, if he's a first team player at Rovers who is first (or second or third) choice pick for his position, Sparks doesn't rate him. Them's the rules.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

after 3 games? blimey give him a chance over a season instead of this instant judgement view. 

But you’ve made “instant judgement views” on other players even quicker. Is it ok to make instant positive judgements, just not negative ones?

Edited by Miller11
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Butty said:

No need to be sarcastic Chaddy, that’s why I put a question mark because I wanted to know why you’re happy with our left back options. Do you not think Pickering is a weak link in our side? 

Firstly wasn't be sarcastic as that not me as a person. 

No I don't. I think some of the criticism is unwarranted to be fair. 

53 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Lewis Grabban is still available on a free. Think we could do a lot worse up front.

can you play the way JDT wants at his age? Not for me, we need a striker who can score goals and press from the front

29 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

deffo keep in the first team squad, I seen no reason to change that opinion

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Firstly wasn't be sarcastic as that not me as a person. 

You as a stapler?

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

deffo keep in the first team squad, I seen no reason to change that opinion

Vale might be decent in the future, but judging him on his two league starts, he has absolutely no business being in that squad.

• Like 1

Just now, XLM said:

You as a stapler?

Vale might be decent in the future, but judging him on his two league starts, he has absolutely no business being in that squad.

To judge from last night's performance I have to agree. Above all he looks a clumsy player with slow feet. He also lacks physical presence and isn't that skilful or good in the air either. I'm not sure what he offers at all 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

But you’ve made “instant judgement views” on other players even quicker. Is it ok to make instant positive judgements, just not negative ones?

have I? You mean Brittain being better than Nyambe. I know that on a number of games I had seen of Brittain and my own opinion on Nyambe which has been stated on here on numerous occasions  

16 minutes ago, XLM said:

Football is all about opinions and if that your view that's view but mine is very different and he would be in my first team squad this season. Can't be any more clearer than that? 

29 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Good for Burnley but given that they sold players for millions and they can afford to over paid whilst we can't. 

The transfer market for Championship is slow with only 2 confirmed incoming transfers so far this week

The transfer market is very slow and not a lot of transfers being made by Championship clubs. only 2 incoming transfers. its seems alot of teams are having to wait for their transfers to happen cos of clubs not releasing them yet due to injuries or waiting to sign a replacement or asking abit too much so its a waiting game if you want quality signings. 

It was quite clear from my post that I am giving him the platform to prove himself but I merely commented that I have not been wowed from his first 3 games in which he hasn't really stood out. We need big things from him coming for a relatively hefty fee. If you have no business in making judgements after games (which is hypocritical as Miller11 points out) then just scroll past, shutting down my opinion because he has yet to play what you perceive to be the correct number of games to judge isn't very constructive.

Just because teams haven't made signings this week (are the 2 Delap and Fosu at Stoke?) doesn't mean that they haven't across the course of the summer. But I was on about us and we desperately need players in, I would fear for Phillips for whom it is a big ask for him to go again for a third game in a week in which he has failed to last the full match twice and against a tough opposition.

Did you watch the game last night? And if so, what did you make of Vale's performance?