BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

7 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Relatively young? An essentially 32 year old? Are you dyslexic and thought I said he turns 23 soon?

Had a knee injury season before last. Could have lost his pace might be why he didn't play much. A pace-reliant striker who at nearly 32 has lost his pace and would want a king's ransom in wages isn't high on my list. Not sure if you were being sarcastic though.

No just offering an alternative reality which is plausible 

Kazim Richards 35

Fletcher  35

Sharp - 36

Cameron Jerome 35

Just off top of head last season

Edited by Sparks Rover

1 hour ago, SuperBrfc said:

The latter. I see no reason why he would just pluck Hourihane's name out of thin air and say he was being shown around Brockhall. I believe it happened, some might not, which is fair enough.

Based on the quote below, Hourihane has had one look at the so called project at Rovers and seen it for what it is. No thanks, just like Farke, Carvalhal, Anel and probably more to follow.

This is what Hourihane had to say about his move to Derby:

"I am 31 and I was looking for something that was going to excite me, something that I can be a big part of.

"I've played all the way from League Two up to the Premier League but having analysed it as a free agent I was thinking what do I want next, what do I want to achieve and what do I want to be a part of? Derby ticked all of the boxes really".

Mate Mercer had Ferguson as the new manager.

He sold Jordan Rhodes to Wigan and Bolton more times than Alan Nixon. 

For years he had it we were on the brink and going into admin but he got bored with it after about the 7th or 8th summer 

Why would he pluck Hourihane out of thin air?He was a freebie with a not too shabby past who had just signed for Derby 

When Mercer has a story he is never slow to share it so why wait until he had signed for another club bit odd considering I'm sure he was one of the posters bemoaning the lack of activity so far 

Even if he had talks shown around the training ground ect that is no proof a contract was put in front of him .Didn't unleaded say (who has by far a more reliable record than mercer) that Hourihane was on Park's list that JDT and Broughton had moved away from?

Edited by islander200
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

No just offering an alternative reality which is plausible 

Kazim Richards 35

Fletcher  35

Sharp - 36

Cameron Jerome 35

Just off top of head last season

I'll give you Sharp, scored 14. Been consistent in this league for many years now. Playing regularly, for the same team, and I don't think was ever particularly reliant on his pace?

The others all got outscored by Sam Gallagher. Significantly.

Kazim Richards - 3 goals

Fletcher - 3 goals

Cameron Jerome - 3 goals.

Sam Gallagher scored 9, the same as all three of them combined. I never said all older players are past it, but this small case study here suggests most of them are. And those are examples you hand picked.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

People keep mentioning Dwight Gayle from time to time. But he is 31, 32 in October, and wasn't his game largely based on pace? Has he still got that at his age? Has played 51 games in the last 3 seasons combined, with only 9 last season, and has 1 goal total in the last two seasons (albeit in the Prem). Wages at Newcastle will dwarf what we pay too. Unlikely and probably undesirable too, unless someone who saw some of his 9 games last season can correct me. He was terrific at this level a few seasons ago but age comes to us all.

I think he's the kind of player that will always find the net regularly in the championship, sort of a billy sharp type, just knows what this leagues all about. 

Read earlier he's not even getting a number at Newcastle this season because of some ffp reason. 

His high wages are whats kept/keeping him at Newcastle, but i think now newscastle will need to compromise to get at least some of his wages off the books, so a loan deal would make most sense for them

• Like 2

Just now, Armchair supporter supremo said:

I think he's the kind of player that will always find the net regularly in the championship, sort of a billy sharp type, just knows what this leagues all about. 

Read earlier he's not even getting a number at Newcastle this season because of some ffp reason. 

His high wages are whats kept/keeping him at Newcastle, but i think now newscastle will need to compromise to get at least some of his wages off the books, so a loan deal would make most sense for them

Maybe. But my main memory of him is of having fantastic pace, and that being his key attribute, and like I say unless someone can correct me, he has probably lost some of that. Has only played 3 seasons in the Championship in his career btw, and the last time was over 3 seasons ago. If he still has the knack and has found ways around losing his pace, or is nearly as quick as he used to be, fair play. In that case I'd take him on loan with highly subsidised wages if that was an option. Otherwise, no thanks.

2 hours ago, Neal said:

Even league 1 players it looks like we're being priced out of, Branagan at Oxford (linked apparently) would apparently cost a fairly hefty in fee and wages. 

Really? 

Possible 1 million pounds. Out of contract in 12 months. He would deffo be one I would here  

31 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Fletcher - 3 goals

Sam Gallagher scored 9, the same as all three of them combined. I never said all older players are past it, but this small case study here suggests most of them are. And those are examples you hand picked.

Actually I picked them at random

However, Fletcher is 35, in his years from.32 he has outscored a much younger Gallagher in the championship so you are talking bobbins....you used the last season when he's at his oldest to illustrate your point incorrectly. 

Dwight Gayle at 32 would bang goals in for us no worries....

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Actually I picked them at random

However, Fletcher is 35, in his years from.32 he has outscored a much younger Gallagher in the championship so you are talking bobbins....you used the last season when he's at his oldest to illustrate your point incorrectly. 

Dwight Gayle at 32 would bang goals in for us no worries....

Well you said they were off the top of your head, and clearly thought they'd prove your point. Only Sharp helped your point, the other 3 undermined it.

You gave his current age, as if to show he was still doing well at that age, so of course I used his most recent season. In fact presumably when the season started he was 34 not 35. He scored 9 the season before, same as Gally this season. The season before that, starting at age 32 I expect, he did score 13 (4 of them penalties), and the season before at about Gayle's age, he scored 11.

Assuming this tracked to Gayle (big assumption, Fletcher wasn't ever especially reliant on pace either was he?) would I want to pay hefty wage and fee contributions for someone to score 2-4 more goals than Gally if he gets to take penalties? Who will have zero resale value and be next to useless after two seasons? That wouldn't be the worst signing but I expect it would be far from the best we could make. I'd rather assume Gally might score 2-4 more goals if he played as an actual striker (cue RF99 disagreeing lol).

Edited by bluebruce

1 hour ago, Roverinbelfast said:

This is really frustrating, after a nice lift with a new manager who on paper looks an excellent prospect. He already has had a good start to his managerial career and no doubt he sees us as the next step on the ladder. 

In the past we have done well at keeping transfer deals quiet until they are completed. I can only hope we have deals being done in the background. 

I find it hard to believe that JDT would have took the job knowing that he had no budget. Unless he's been promised every penny of the brereton sale, it just dosnt make sense 

There needs to be a decent budget irrespective of any BBD sale.

If anyone comes up with the figure we want bearing in mind his contractual situation then there's a decision to be made but if they don't he stays put for me and any recruitment calculations should be made on the basis he's staying until something happens to the contrary.

52 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Mate Mercer had Ferguson as the new manager.

He sold Jordan Rhodes to Wigan and Bolton more times than Alan Nixon. 

For years he had it we were on the brink and going into admin but he got bored with it after about the 7th or 8th summer 

Why would he pluck Hourihane out of thin air?He was a freebie with a not too shabby past who had just signed for Derby 

When Mercer has a story he is never slow to share it so why wait until he had signed for another club bit odd considering I'm sure he was one of the posters bemoaning the lack of activity so far 

Even if he had talks shown around the training ground ect that is no proof a contract was put in front of him .Didn't unleaded say (who has by far a more reliable record than mercer) that Hourihane was on Park's list that JDT and Broughton had moved away from?

He was trying to provoke by implying that we are losing out on players to Derby.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

There needs to be a decent budget irrespective of any BBD sale.

If anyone comes up with the figure we want bearing in mind his contractual situation then there's a decision to be made but if they don't he stays put for me and any recruitment calculations should be made on the basis he's staying until something happens to the contrary.

Assuming he does go, what would you consider a reasonable spend to back up your optimism over the owners? Would it require spending beyond any Brereton fee?

Just seen a Rovers ad on FB stating our vacancies, and the only recruitment one is Academy Talent Scout. I don't know if it's just a respectful period of mourning thing or we are headhunting a replacement directly (both perhaps) but that listing wouldn't replace Karl Newton's role.

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Assuming he does go, what would you consider a reasonable spend to back up your optimism over the owners? Would it require spending beyond any Brereton fee?

If he goes I doubt the whole fee would be reinvested.

Personally I'd say if he doesn't go then we need to spend an absolute minimum of £6m in transfer fees and if he was sold for say £15m I'd say we'd need to be looking at spending £10/£11m of it but I'm not convinced we'd necessarily be any better off on the pitch.

25 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He was trying to provoke by implying that we are losing out on players to Derby.

No provocation at all.

Shown around Brockhall AFTER JDT appointed so not a discard from Park's list.  He chose Derby when almost certainly he could have come here.

7 minutes ago, Mercer said:

No provocation at all.

Shown around Brockhall AFTER JDT appointed so not a discard from Park's list.  He chose Derby when almost certainly he could have come here.

Not a surprise though, he would likely have been a squad player here so chose guaranteed first team football at Derby which at his age I can understand.

I think from all bits of information we have a transfer budget of something around £6-8m so reasonable. Our issue is our wage budget, we have the same as last year, so with all the players that have left we have around £45k a week to fund 6-8 players.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, phili said:

Not a surprise though, he would likely have been a squad player here so chose guaranteed first team football at Derby which at his age I can understand.

I think from all bits of information we have a transfer budget of something around £6-8m so reasonable. Our issue is our wage budget, we have the same as last year, so with all the players that have left we have around £45k a week to fund 6-8 players.

If your estimate is correct, that averages to between 5.6k and 7.5k per recruit.

I hope you're wrong.

If you read Hourihane's quote upon joining Derby, he mentions how he wanted to go somewhere where he was excited by the project.

I think him choosing Derby over Rovers says a heck of a lot.

Also, it's quite something to look at Derby's signings, considering the turmoil they have been in, and to think those would have been good additions for us. That's how I feel, personally:

Hourihane, Mendez-Laing, Barkhuizen, McGoldrick, James Chester.

Derby are getting their house in order now after everything they have been through. We have no excuse to be in the mess we are in.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SuperBrfc said:

If you read Hourihane's quote upon joining Derby, he mentions how he wanted to go somewhere where he was excited by the project.

Also, it's quite something to look at Derby's signings, considering the turmoil they have been in, and to think those would have been good additions for us. That's how I feel, personally:

Derby are getting their house in order now after everything they have been through. We have no excuse to be in the mess we are in.

Spot on 👏

JDT Out

1 minute ago, SuperBrfc said:

There isn't a starting quality player among that group. Why would they have been good additions?

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think around 6 to 10 million depending on the fee Brereton is sold and whether Nottingham Forest have a sell on clause

38 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Just seen a Rovers ad on FB stating our vacancies, and the only recruitment one is Academy Talent Scout. I don't know if it's just a respectful period of mourning thing or we are headhunting a replacement directly (both perhaps) but that listing wouldn't replace Karl Newton's role.

Wasn't Karl Newton head hunt by Gregg Broughton? 

10 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

If your estimate is correct, that averages to between 5.6k and 7.5k per recruit.

I hope you're wrong.

I might be or 1-2k out but it is around that figure.

What worries me is if we have to implement the can't spend more than 70% of turnover on wages rule. Unless we could drastically increase turnover, we'd have a total wage budget of £7.8m. 

13 minutes ago, phili said:

I might be or 1-2k out but it is around that figure.

What worries me is if we have to implement the can't spend more than 70% of turnover on wages rule. Unless we could drastically increase turnover, we'd have a total wage budget of £7.8m. 

I calculated what that would be for a 20 man pro squad (kids would have to fill out the gaps) and funnily enough it comes to the same 7.5k p/w average.

According to this https://www.888sport.com/blog/football/championship/how-much-do-championship-football-players-get-paid#:~:text=As previously mentioned%2C the average,earning £75%2C000 a week.   the average in this league is 35k p/w, though obviously inflated by relegated sides (though the highest in the league is 75k and there are only so many parachute clubs to bring the average up). The average in League One is 'less than £5,000' which I take to mean it's close to 5k p/w.