BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

54 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

Missed Out FC. We'll be able to make an 11 from it soon. That's Anel, Hourihane and Colak in the team for now. Thanks for the update, Unleaded. Always appreciated.

There will be many more that we 'miss out' on from now until the window shuts as part of the PR scramble.

Swag should use that as part of his marketing ploy. Make sure YOU don't miss out! Season tickets from only £430.

Did we miss out on Hourihane?You know for a fact a contract was offered to him or are you taking Mercer's word?

21 minutes ago, J*B said:

Good, give Ben his chance and give Rovers an opportunity. 

I agree it would be good for BB.

The way things are going though I disagree it would be good for Rovers to lose him though. Absolutely disastrous in fact. Another Rhodes type situation with relegation soon to follow in the offing.

People keep mentioning Dwight Gayle from time to time. But he is 31, 32 in October, and wasn't his game largely based on pace? Has he still got that at his age? Has played 51 games in the last 3 seasons combined, with only 9 last season, and has 1 goal total in the last two seasons (albeit in the Prem). Wages at Newcastle will dwarf what we pay too. Unlikely and probably undesirable too, unless someone who saw some of his 9 games last season can correct me. He was terrific at this level a few seasons ago but age comes to us all.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gav said:

We are skint Neal, they’ll not play for peanuts regardless of who the manager is.

JDT is now working under the same financial restraints as Mowbray, time to earn his money and use those European contacts, or we’re right in the mire.

Pretty much what I've been saying this past week. Losing players and losing out on ones we want for bigger wages elsewhere just screams of a massive cost cutting exercise so far. 

I'll give Broughton and JDT some credit, at least they're not in the media giving us some spin. They're obviously well aware that we don't want lip service but bodies through the door and to talk when deals get done. 

Even league 1 players it looks like we're being priced out of, Branagan at Oxford (linked apparently) would apparently cost a fairly hefty in fee and wages. So when we can't seemingly afford to sign league 1 players and a player surplus to requirements in Greece, it doesn't exactly fill you with confidence about the other targets they're likely moving on to and the upcoming season. My initial optimism is being quite quickly eroded by what I'm seeing go out the door and what's not coming the other way. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

No clue why you continuously use adjectives like this to describe our players, like competent and incompetent

It literally makes no sense

Notwithstanding the fact that Dan Pike is an extremely "competent" footballer. He'd run rings around you. But he's a young lad and he's good

So is Brown. He looked more than "competent" with a ball at his feet against one of Birmingham City's best players. Was you there or was you pretending he was incompetent on here? Blues fans talked him up after the game as a decent defender

Compare and contrast with your views on signings our 6 fingered neighbours make. Some lad you had never heard of but described as interesting, young and fast, after scoring a few goals in the Turkish league and 2 in the Belgian league. Meanwhile our lads aren't competent

You are on the bloody wind up, it's the only way to explain it

Quite clearly, that term is relative. There is only one person on the wind up if one of their go to arguments is comparisons against myself, I am sure that semi pro players would run rings around me and I wasn't suggesting to play me instead.

My definition of competent would be to play in a team that is in our case aiming for the top 6 of the Championship. Competent of playing at the level we are at.

I did indeed attend Birmingham away contrary to your assumptions and narrative and I thought that Brown was well off the pace to be honest, and really struggled. If that makes me overtly negative in your eyes then so be it but it is my opinion. I wouldn't be confident with him playing a semi regular or regular role in our Championship season next season, my preference would be a loan spell in League 1 or 2 to allow him to get used to regular professional football of a decent standard. Rankin Costello I also don't think is Championship standard, never mind top half, whether he may have been prior to such injury disruptions or indeed whether he can turn things around (either by staying or by a loan himself) we will see. And Pike I have never seen as he has never played at a reasonable standard but the fact that he went into non league last season doesn't suggest that he is ready immediately. 

32 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Did we miss out on Hourihane?You know for a fact a contract was offered to him or are you taking Mercer's word?

The latter. I see no reason why he would just pluck Hourihane's name out of thin air and say he was being shown around Brockhall. I believe it happened, some might not, which is fair enough.

Based on the quote below, Hourihane has had one look at the so called project at Rovers and seen it for what it is. No thanks, just like Farke, Carvalhal, Anel and probably more to follow.

This is what Hourihane had to say about his move to Derby:

"I am 31 and I was looking for something that was going to excite me, something that I can be a big part of.

"I've played all the way from League Two up to the Premier League but having analysed it as a free agent I was thinking what do I want next, what do I want to achieve and what do I want to be a part of? Derby ticked all of the boxes really".

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I have read your post so please stop this nonsense. 

I think we only need 2 centre midfielder signings and then use Garrett who I think is ready for first team action here. Plus we have Travis and Buckley aswell which would give us 5 centre midfielders 

I would look to sign 2 players between 22 to 26. Players who will develop and play in the prime here or develop so well we sell them for a profit. 

A player could be involved in our first game just like Kaminski was when he signed 3 weeks before the season started and had to quarantine due to Covid rules and he played in the first game. Plus it would depends whether he is match fit if you sign a player who has been playing regular in the league or pre season games. 

No I would not be concerned or frustrated as the transfer market is what it is. 

Yes we have lost several players who played a major part in the season but they are all replaceable with similar or better quality. 

All come back to having a good recruitment department and knowing who you want and going for them. On the work permit rules are there and your recruitment department will know them so will only suggested players who met them. There is a website that can tell whether a player meets the rules so Rovers will use a similar system

Its the same wage budget as last season. I wouldn't say its strict at all. 

I think a potential asset would be good but not every player needs to be with a view to sell on. An experienced freebie as well as an asset with the likes of Travis and Buckley already here would make the most sense to me personally.

2 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

The latter. I see no reason why he would just pluck Hourihane's name out of thin air and say he was being shown around Brockhall. I believe it happened, some might not, which is fair enough.

Based on the quote below, Hourihane has had one look at the so called project at Rovers and seen it for what it is. No thanks, just like Farke, Carvalhal, Anel and probably more to follow.

"I am 31 and I was looking for something that was going to excite me, something that I can be a big part of.

"I've played all the way from League Two up to the Premier League but having analysed it as a free agent I was thinking what do I want next, what do I want to achieve and what do I want to be a part of? Derby ticked all of the boxes really".

Older player wants guarantee of first team football - I can't imagine he'd be good enough to warrant that at Rovers, even with the thin squad we currently have.

Bit part player at most, in my opinion.

No great loss to us, unlike Anel (who would have been better than Lenihan).

• Like 1

• Backroom

Just hope our signings are ones of quality rather than 'getting bodies in'. Trouble is we may be required to do the latter if we're not careful.

Cyrus Christie anyone?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think a potential asset would be good but not every player needs to be with a view to sell on. An experienced freebie as well as an asset with the likes of Travis and Buckley already here would make the most sense to me personally.

I can only see us finishing midtable this season. I doubt (once signings are in) we will be poor enough for relegation or good enough for the playoffs, largely due to the transitional nature of the squad and staff. Therefore I'd rather focus on assets than experienced freebies in their 30s who would probably need replacing next season or the one after at best.

If though by experienced you mean in the 26-28 bracket, I could be down with that.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Just found out lars bohinens middle name is roar. 

I haven’t seen anyone driving out of brockhall so I thought I’d throw this in 😂

So THAT'S who our mascot is!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

Correct me if I am wrong but didn’t he just claim that after he went to Derby? Hardly plucking his name out of thin air if that’s the case.

I have it on good authority that Colak was shown around Brockhall on Monday - easy that.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mr. E said:

The question is, is it Venkys who are refusing to back us financially....or is it UEFA and their fair play rules preventing us from offering deals. I am honestly close to throwing up thinking about the latter. 

The first question is ARE they refusing to back us financially? We won't know that definitively until the end of the window, even if we see signs along the way.

But UEFA don't decide our fair play rules, the EFL do. And although they weren't as limiting in the past as we made out, with loopholes we never exploited, they certainly are now. There may still be loopholes, but the people at Ewood aren't smart enough to figure them out if there are. So there are hard limits on what we can do now. If Venkys won't back us up to those limits, I'll criticise them (again).

22 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

The latter. I see no reason why he would just pluck Hourihane's name out of thin air and say he was being shown around Brockhall. I believe it happened

Taking Mercer's word is a dicey game. If I did that, I'd be thousands of pounds out of pocket from betting on Rovers to win! 'I see no reason' for all the other stuff he has 'shared' on here that proved unverifiable or outright bollocks, or for why he predicts us to win every week whilst saying how shit we are. But it still goes on, and will go on again this season.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Miller11 said:

There have been more links for outgoings than incomings so far. And the silence from Tomasson and Broughton after their initial interviews is deafening.

Apparently only us, Blackpool and Wigan are the Championship clubs yet to make signings. And they haven’t had an exodus to deal with like us. We really need to crack on.

The fax is on Barry's carpet, he's not seen it just yet

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I can only see us finishing midtable this season. I doubt (once signings are in) we will be poor enough for relegation or good enough for the playoffs, largely due to the transitional nature of the squad and staff. Therefore I'd rather focus on assets than experienced freebies in their 30s who would probably need replacing next season or the one after at best.

If though by experienced you mean in the 26-28 bracket, I could be down with that.

I dont agree with writing off the season essentially as a transitional one. The reason we surely appointed Tomasson was to progress and the nature of the Championship means that with a constant churn of players and teams often being reliant on loanees that it isnt really geared to writing seasons off as the start of a long process. We saw last season that sometimes things can align and therefore you should always be aiming to finish as high as possible.

The process of trying to buy assets cheap and then potentially sell them on if we dont go up should be continious which is another area where our owners let us down. But my suggestion is very much to sign a few potential assets include one in midfield to go with 2 we already have as well as a more experienced head to try and finish as high as possible. If we dont go up, we would still have 3 assets in there and I dont see why someone of Hourihane's age couldnt do a second year 

This is really frustrating, after a nice lift with a new manager who on paper looks an excellent prospect. He already has had a good start to his managerial career and no doubt he sees us as the next step on the ladder. 

In the past we have done well at keeping transfer deals quiet until they are completed. I can only hope we have deals being done in the background. 

I find it hard to believe that JDT would have took the job knowing that he had no budget. Unless he's been promised every penny of the brereton sale, it just dosnt make sense 

• Like 2

Just now, roversfan99 said:

I dont agree with writing off the season essentially as a transitional one. The reason we surely appointed Tomasson was to progress and the nature of the Championship means that with a constant churn of players and teams often being reliant on loanees that it isnt really geared to writing seasons off as the start of a long process. We saw last season that sometimes things can align and therefore you should always be aiming to finish as high as possible.

The process of trying to buy assets cheap and then potentially sell them on if we dont go up should be continious which is another area where our owners let us down. But my suggestion is very much to sign a few potential assets include one in midfield to go with 2 we already have as well as a more experienced head to try and finish as high as possible. If we dont go up, we would still have 3 assets in there and I dont see why someone of Hourihane's age couldnt do a second year 

I'm sure you dont agree with writing off the season as transitional, and I'd rather not either, I want us to challenge. But realistically, that's most likely what will happen.

We are as reliant on loanees as we are, which I'm sure is more than most of the rest of the league, because we have failed to bring in enough assets. Part of that is too much money has been spent in veterans who have largely contributed the square route of fuck all, and certainly haven't gotten us promoted. The closest we came was last season, where our only guy over 30 (I think) played a bit part. If we keep using a good chunk of the budget on older players and loanees we will never be able to escape the cycle of being reliant on loanees. If anything this has gotten worse.

3 new assets at season's end would just leave us where we were at the start of last season, as it would only really replace the 3 we just lost. I'll be disappointed if we only buy 3 players who are able to take us into the 2023/24 season. And if you're expecting a serious challenge this season, you'll most likely be disappointed too. The reason we appointed Tomasson was to progress, yes, but no timeframe has been given and with the job on his hands its unrealistic to demand we do as well as last season. We wouldn't have under TM either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

People keep mentioning Dwight Gayle from time to time. But he is 31, 32 in October, and wasn't his game largely based on pace? Has he still got that at his age? Has played 51 games in the last 3 seasons combined, with only 9 last season, 

You've sold him to me mate.

Relatively young, plenty of miles left in the tank as he's hardly played recently

Must be proper hungry for a chance

Proven at this level in a big way

Sign him up JDT

Use BBD coin to get him and Ryan Hardie

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

You've sold him to me mate.

Relatively young, plenty of miles left in the tank as he's hardly played recently

Must be proper hungry for a chance

Proven at this level in a big way

Sign him up JDT

Use BBD coin to get him and Ryan Hardie

Relatively young? An essentially 32 year old? Are you dyslexic and thought I said he turns 23 soon?

Had a knee injury season before last. Could have lost his pace might be why he didn't play much. A pace-reliant striker who at nearly 32 has lost his pace and would want a king's ransom in wages isn't high on my list. Not sure if you were being sarcastic though.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 1