BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Derby County (h) - 15/3/22

17 minutes ago, Shirley Crabtree Wrestler said:

Gallagher's case has not been helped by the manager's baffling attempts to 'exploit' his non-existent wingplay genius.

If you've got a battering ram, it's probably best not to use it for conducting an orchestra. Much better used for knocking holes where you want them... Just saying.

Ashley Ward - what did he do at or after Rovers?

What did he do at Rovers ? - Not a lot.

8 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Really ?

Nathan Blake gave us that memorable win against Liverpool.  I was behind the goal. That's something Gallagher will never do. Ashley ward despite being a crap striker gave everything.  I don't think Gallagher would ever run his bollocks off

34 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Nathan Blake gave us that memorable win against Liverpool.  I was behind the goal. That's something Gallagher will never do. Ashley ward despite being a crap striker gave everything.  I don't think Gallagher would ever run his bollocks off

In his defence that’s the one aspect of his play that I don’t think is lacking, he gets about at helps out the defence, to the detriment of our forward play at times 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, roverandout said:

I’m not Gallagher’s biggest fan but he would be faster than Ward running backwards.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, roverandout said:

That's a completely unfair and inaccurate accusation. Gallagher does lack bravery at times, amongst other things, but he rarely lacks effort (and when he does it's usually because he clearly isn't fully fit). He has ran his bollocks off plenty of times.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, roverandout said:

Rather have Ashley ward and Nathan Blake up front 

I'd take Gallagher over Ward any day, Blake though would be handy in the box.  Not sure what use he'd be as false 9 or wide forward though.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

That's a completely unfair and inaccurate accusation. Gallagher does lack bravery at times, amongst other things, but he rarely lacks effort (and when he does it's usually because he clearly isn't fully fit). He has ran his bollocks off plenty of times.

My dog runs around alot and always gives 100 per cent chasing a tennis ball and a stick but that doesn't make him a good footballer. Sam's problem is he doesn't have a striker's nous in the penalty area. Watch him when crosses are coming in; he's rarely in the right place at the right time; usually either just too early or just too late; and usually off balance. He can't jump for toffee and gets outmuscled by big defenders; and he can't play with his back to goal and his close control is poor. In short, my dog is a better footballer. He's available this Saturday

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

You've taken my comment out of context. Specifically at holding the ball up, bringing others into play, being a focal point, he is piss poor. You mention Brown, obviously Gallagher is better in general, he is powerful compared to Brown who couldn't run, he does offer some sort of goal threat (not prolific by any means though) whereas Brown never scored a goal, but at holding the ball up, Brown was better.

Gallagher is not a player that we can play off and couldn't be any less similar to Graham if he tried, so they are not comparable.

He is a very average player, he is not the answer in general but he deserves a start centrally on Saturday,

But you have taken my comment out of context as I don't want Gallagher being a target man player but if we do play long balls sometimes he can win games like he did on Tuesday. But he can press from the front, make runs in behind/in between their centre backs. 

If we provide him the right service he will score the goals

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

My dog runs around alot and always gives 100 per cent chasing a tennis ball and a stick but that doesn't make him a good footballer. Sam's problem is he doesn't have a striker's nous in the penalty area. Watch him when crosses are coming in; he's rarely in the right place at the right time; usually either just too early or just too late; and usually off balance. He can't jump for toffee and gets outmuscled by big defenders; and he can't play with his back to goal and his close control is poor. In short, my dog is a better footballer. He's available this Saturday

I didn't say anything whatsoever about him being a good footballer.

3 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Nathan Blake is better than Gallagher 

He was although they are totally different types, not aimed at you but i don't get why some get upset that Gallagher isn't doing what Graham did or Jordan Rhodes.

He's a poor mans Kevin Davies who will get goals through pressure play and graft if it's worked on enough.

Blakey was a decent finisher to be fair but he was one lazy barsteward 😂

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Became a property multi-millionaire and now lives among the Cheshire "footballers' wives" set

Always thought he had the look of a shagger, to be honest.

56 minutes ago, tomphil said:

He was although they are totally different types, not aimed at you but i don't get why some get upset that Gallagher isn't doing what Graham did or Jordan Rhodes.

He's a poor mans Kevin Davies who will get goals through pressure play and graft if it's worked on enough.

Blakey was a decent finisher to be fair but he was one lazy barsteward 😂

I remember when Souey sent Blake on in the last ten minutes in that game against Utd when we had a player ( Short ? ) sent off.  His instructions would have been run your nuts off and keep them occupied down that end for 10 minutes. . Blake just jogged about and didn’t do anything to help out the rest of the lads.

I don’t think he played for Souey again much after that.

• Like 1

I understand that Gally's confidence has been impacted by being played out of position, but I think most of us that have been critical of him have been referring to the last 5 years, when he HAS been played as a number 9, and he HAS had good service. 

His TOTAL inability to trap a ball, is not just about confidence. 

I've said for 5 years that he's not a footballer, he's an athlete.

I've said for 5 years that he always scores when he's about to be dropped, then does little for 8 games, then scores again, to avoid being dropped.

It really isn't as simple as just play him as a 9, tho we haven't much choice at the mo, with our totally shot-shy(or certainly goal-shy 🙄) midfield/forward line. 

Prayers started for Elm Park. Come on, boys!!!!

He tends to do better as a sub whether it's forcing attacks to try and score or defending from the front to hang on.

Disappears too easily and too quickly when  started in wide forward positions.

Edited by tomphil

1 hour ago, garnersfags said:

I understand that Gally's confidence has been impacted by being played out of position, but I think most of us that have been critical of him have been referring to the last 5 years, when he HAS been played as a number 9, and he HAS had good service. 

His TOTAL inability to trap a ball, is not just about confidence. 

I've said for 5 years that he's not a footballer, he's an athlete.

I've said for 5 years that he always scores when he's about to be dropped, then does little for 8 games, then scores again, to avoid being dropped.

It really isn't as simple as just play him as a 9, tho we haven't much choice at the mo, with our totally shot-shy(or certainly goal-shy 🙄) midfield/forward line. 

Prayers started for Elm Park. Come on, boys!!!!

I wouldn't go quite that far, if you were to put together a compilation of Gally's best bits in a Rovers shirt we'd be surprised about the moments of genuine quality there. 

You're right though that it's not just a case of us not playing to his strengths. He would score more goals if he played 30 games as a number 9, but his first touch is poor too often and like others have said, he doesn't have the knack to anticipate chances. 

All that said, he has his moments when he makes the difference like he did midweek - a few more between now and June and he might yet be worth that £5 million we paid for him!