BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Derby County (h) - 15/3/22

• Moderation Lead
9 hours ago, Gav said:

He's a 17 goal striker den, playing full back, its like Shearer playing instead of Le Saux.

To be fair though, even if that is a wild decision, Weimann has a sprint in him at least. Must be six months since Bradley Johnson crossed the half way line….

• Like 2

9 hours ago, K-Hod said:

To be fair though, even if that is a wild decision, Weimann has a sprint in him at least. Must be six months since Bradley Johnson crossed the half way line….

It's different gravy altogether as we've had Gallagher, Hedges, Dolan etc fill in t RB during games. If one of them had burst forward and scored late would it have been a tactical masterstroke ?

Or would it just have been a bit of opportunism by the player and a fortunate drop of the ball.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, K-Hod said:

If it leads to 3 points and 3 goals I'd take it every week.

58 minutes ago, Gav said:

Nigel Pearson played Andreas Weimann at full back on Saturday, the clubs top scorer and striker with 16 goals.

Whilst I find the Johnson decision baffling, traditional positions are a thing of the past, football has moved on as Man City prove week in week without playing a striker in most games. 

You don’t see Pep putting Fernandinho in the false nine though do you Gav? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gav said:

No mix up, I’d take 3 points and 3 goals every week, let’s put you up front if that’s the outcome. 

🤣🤣

He played full back at the weekend, everything else is irrelevant isn’t it?

Not really. He is genuinely a versatile player who has played almost every minute this season. He has played the most of his games as an attacking midfielder. Not a great leap for his manager to use him to combat Khadra.

49 minutes ago, 47er said:

You've got mixed up here Gav, that only happened once Johnson came off!

No mix up, I'd take 3 points and 3 goals every week and play you up front to be honest.....

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

There is absolutely no way on earth that we should use Gallagher in a similar way to Graham. There is this constant expectation that has been around since he signed that he would take over once Graham was phased out. They could barely be any more different.

Dack thrived playing off Graham because he was an expert with his back to goal, he had a good touch, he was good at knocking the ball down with his head, he was intelligent in working off defenders, Gallagher is as poor as any striker I can remember in a Rovers shirt at those things. Graham was also a penalty box predator who anticipated chances and had the composure to often convert, Gallagher rarely sniffs out chances and when he does he is often clumsy and un coordinated. On the flip side, Graham was ageing and slow whereas Gallagher is a powerful runner especially over long distances and he does have a spring on him. They work in opposite ways.

Gallagher was good last night, but lets not make conclusions about a player he clearly is not, either in style or in quality. He has proven consistently that he is a very limited footballer, should he start centrally at the weekend? Yes, but is he the answer as a central target man in general? Not in a million years.

"He will score goals" whilst true literally is not something he will do with any consistent regularity, or if he does, it will be the first time in his career.

So Gallagher is as poor as Nathan Blake, Ashley Ward, Chris Brown, Grabbi? Really? Not at all. 

When I said like we did with Graham, my point as a lone striker with Dack or Buckley in the 10, Dolan on the right and Giles on the left putting crosses in the box. 

When we play him up front and not wide he scores goals and looks more threat than he does wide. 

His heading against Derby was good powerful header. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 47er said:

All suggested on here by posters who aren't paid a salary to watch Rovers.

I dont see the point you're making? We basically all say what team we think should be picked each week and what changes we should make, but we don't actually do it.

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

So Gallagher is as poor as Nathan Blake, Ashley Ward, Chris Brown, Grabbi? Really? Not at all. 

When I said like we did with Graham, my point as a lone striker with Dack or Buckley in the 10, Dolan on the right and Giles on the left putting crosses in the box. 

When we play him up front and not wide he scores goals and looks more threat than he does wide. 

Gallaghers good when he can out compete the defence he's up against. Derby he was all over them, but most games he gets marginalised pretty easily whether playing through the middle or out wide

I wonder if part of the difference on Tuesday was that we committed a lot of players forward second half - 4 pure attackers in Dack, Dolan, Khadra/Giles and Gallagher plus Rothwell getting forward - and that gave Gallagher the support and space to play more effectively.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BigUts said:

I dont see the point you're making? We basically all say what team we think should be picked each week and what changes we should make, but we don't actually do it.

I don't get why you don't see my point ---its pretty clear. If ordinary fans can see obvious problems and solutions why can't the manager? For example if you'd put the idea to Rovers supporters of playing Johnson as a false 9 (hate that poncey term by the way) you'd have struggled to find one who thought it worth a try or who didn't roll around the floor laughing to be honest.

• Like 1

• J*B unpinned this topic
8 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

That was a decent header but did you notice how tall the guy he was jumping against was ? Gallagher must have been a foot taller.

30 minutes ago, 47er said:

I don't get why you don't see my point ---its pretty clear. If ordinary fans can see obvious problems and solutions why can't the manager? For example if you'd put the idea to Rovers supporters of playing Johnson as a false 9 (hate that poncey term by the way) you'd have struggled to find one who thought it worth a try or who didn't roll around the floor laughing to be honest.

I understand the criticism for the obviously flawed decision and I agree 100%, but similarly I think he deserves credit for making a good decision, however obvious that may seem which is what your original point was trying to say shouldn't happen.

56 minutes ago, BigUts said:

I understand the criticism for the obviously flawed decision and I agree 100%, but similarly I think he deserves credit for making a good decision, however obvious that may seem which is what your original point was trying to say shouldn't happen.

He made an absolute balls up and it looks like he had a correction forced on him.  He's made similar too often.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

You've taken my comment out of context. Specifically at holding the ball up, bringing others into play, being a focal point, he is piss poor. You mention Brown, obviously Gallagher is better in general, he is powerful compared to Brown who couldn't run, he does offer some sort of goal threat (not prolific by any means though) whereas Brown never scored a goal, but at holding the ball up, Brown was better.

Gallagher is not a player that we can play off and couldn't be any less similar to Graham if he tried, so they are not comparable.

He is a very average player, he is not the answer in general but he deserves a start centrally on Saturday,

• Like 1

12 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Rather have Ashley ward and Nathan Blake up front 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Rather have Ashley ward and Nathan Blake up front 

Gallagher's case has not been helped by the manager's baffling attempts to 'exploit' his non-existent wingplay genius.

If you've got a battering ram, it's probably best not to use it for conducting an orchestra. Much better used for knocking holes where you want them... Just saying.

Ashley Ward - what did he do at or after Rovers?