BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Which utterly brilliant manager will we be delighted to welcome next?

3 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Kenny Jackett hasn't managed in the PL. Swansea, Millwall, Wolves, Rotherham, Pompey, Orient - the highest he has been was top half Championship at Millwall/Wolves. He has spent most of his career in League One. He has 3 promotions from League One and if we were a League One side would be a strong option as he has a good record.

But he's certainly not an appointment for a Championship side looking to go anywhere good.

The only boxes he ticks are that he's available, affordable and might be a safe pair of hands in terms of avoiding relegation.

Ryan Lowe is at Preston. Not going to leave them to come here nor would I want him to.

Passionate, popular, homeboy are not attributes that should be remotely relevant to us bringing in a new manager.

And I'm afraid suggestions of Davidson and Reid are just more from the ex-player brigade both of whom have it all to prove as managers before we should hand them the keys to Brockhall. I'm not sure where the fuss about Reid comes from, given he went on to represent the dingles after being with us I wouldn't have any sentimental view on him coming here.

We are just scattershooting now. Y’all know a lot more about English football than me. I’m just looking at names, possibilities, and who might work with our club. 

We’re going to find problems with whoever we get anyway, as we’re not getting Pep or Juergen.

That’s my contribution to the discussion, I will now wait & probably gripe with the lot of you, with whoever we get. Somehow, I bet whoever he is, he won’t be good enough to manage our beloved club. 

• Like 1

So another day gone, now 72 hours since the final game of the season and still not a peep from the club or owners about the manager.

Disgusting, disgraceful, unprofessional, and taking paying customers for fools.

Why would anyone want to work for an organisation that can't or won't even have the decency to release a statement about a manager after 5 years in charge?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

A statement about what? He has over seven weeks employment left!

Well if he's going - you pay him up and replace him.

Do you want us to wait until his contract runs down and then bring the new manager in? The season starts exactly one month after his contract is up.

They should be issuing a statement one way or another and getting him replaced asap.

26 minutes ago, goozburger said:

Jackett. Adkins. Grayson. Not exactly names that are going to boost ST sales, are they? Can we have some ambition for a change?

All we need is the right manager for us - a good fit for us. Grayson has a much better CV than TM but he's really tailed off over the last few years. Would have been a strong choice of mine a few years ago. Now less so. That said his record is still better than TMs. 

Is Adkins record better than TM too? Am struggling to recall but think he has a number of promotions on his CV. Again though I feel his time has passed. 

Really it goes to show TM wasn't that good at all. Big achievement was getting out of League 1 - not all big budget teams manage it first time (Sunderland, Sheff Weds, Sheff Utd) - but outside of that he has been very ordinary if not limited.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Do you want us to wait until his contract runs down and then bring the new manager in? The season starts exactly one month after his contract is up.

They should be issuing a statement one way or another and getting him replaced asap.

Whoosh 😁

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

All we need is the right manager for us - a good fit for us. Grayson has a much better CV than TM but he's really tailed off over the last few years. Would have been a strong choice of mine a few years ago. Now less so. That said his record is still better than TMs. 

Is Adkins record better than TM too? Am struggling to recall but think he has a number of promotions on his CV. Again though I feel his time has passed. 

Really it goes to show TM wasn't that good at all. Big achievement was getting out of League 1 - not all big budget teams manage it first time (Sunderland, Sheff Weds, Sheff Utd) - but outside of that he has been very ordinary if not limited.  

Adkins % is better (42.1), but has managed fewer games (561), also PL experience > Mowbray, etc. He’s a year younger. 

In fact, a fairly close comparison, Mowbray & Adkins. 

Many of us would tolerate a Adkins appointment, with some grumbling. Definitely not a home run hire. 

Edited by WacoRover
  • Like 1

If Nixon list of Farke, Ainsworth, Carvalhal, Hughton and couple of surprises on the shortlist is correct. 

Then I would like to know who these 2 surprises names are. 

Hopefully we can make an appointment quickly within the next couple of weeks, but if he is right that they haven't decide whether to appoint a manager or go Sporting Director/head coach structure. 

4 hours ago, Mellor Rover said:

His signings on the whole were fantastic for this level. 191 points in 2 seasons. Zimmerman, Stipermann, Vrancic, Buendia, Pukki, we’re all fantastic at this level. One of the best sides I’ve seen come to ewood at this level when they beat us that season. 

Farke was head coach at Norwich and Their Sporting Director Stuart Webber picked Farke as head coach and work with him on signings. Webber had the contacts in Germany and he vastly improved their scouting network and together they got Norwich promoted twice. 

3 hours ago, islander200 said:

Where they Farkes signings though?Or were those players identified and signed by Webber?

He plays good football and works well with youth and would have him down as my favourite to get the job, but he won't have the infastructure he had behind him at Norwich here.Webber had a major role in terms of recruitment at Norwich.

Webber did their signings but worked with Farke on them

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

If Nixon list of Farke, Ainsworth, Carvalhal, Hughton and couple of surprises on the shortlist is correct. 

Hopefully we can make an appointment quickly within the next couple of weeks, but if he is right that they haven't decide whether to appoint a manager or go Sporting Director/head coach structure. 

Farke would please me… I think many of us here do not believe it will ever happen, therefore we try to temper our excitement. Who knows, owners might surprise us. We just don’t want disappointment, so we expect a plodder. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

Farke would please me… I think many of us here do not believe it will ever happen, therefore we try to temper our excitement. Who knows, owners might surprise us. We just don’t want disappointment, so we expect a plodder. 

I agree Farke would pleased me, But he has always been head coach at Norwich so would be need a director of football and if so do we appoint them first. 

• Like 1

Should have had Neil in last summer or before imo.

He just strikes me as having a bit more oomph about him than the shoulder shrugger, ok he might have not done any better but it would hardly have been a huge gamble.

1 minute ago, martonrover said:

Aye, but Mr Kean has never taken a side into the Premier League. Hughton has done it twice, with two different clubs, and got another into the Play Offs.

So he’s basically Coyle and Mowbray combined…!

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

I doubt there is any brass left in the pot for even that but he certainly shouldn't be bringing any players in at this point. Maybe he could get a ladder out and scrub the brickwork on the outside of the JW stand ?

That's a good way of utilizing his remaining 100k or so eh Swag ?   Come on it fits right in with your penny pinching.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JBiz said:

So he’s basically Coyle and Mowbray combined…!

Have you read his CV? He really isn’t the above, (which doesn’t work anyway!)

He’s been a decent manager, with Forest being his only real failure.

He’s not my first, (or even second), choice, by any stretch of the imagination, but he does have pedigree.

Just now, martonrover said:

Have you read his CV? He really isn’t the above, (which doesn’t work anyway!)

He’s been a decent manager, with Forest being his only real failure.

He’s not my first, (or even second), choice, by any stretch of the imagination, but he does have pedigree.

I meant really that the promotions and achievements mean he’s done the same as those two managers.

I am aware of Hughtons pedigree - I would probably feel exactly the same as you about his potential.

Would prefer someone a bit more imaginative however but it’s easy to say, Mark Hughes was the last time we had any luck with a new or less established manager, and I can’t see this ownership vacuum getting any better at making those decisions.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

It is better in the sense that he achieved back to back promotions at Southampton to take them into the Premier League. Something that the owners wanted Mowbray to do in 2018. He kept Southampton in the top 2 in the Championship all season in their first season back.

He also has the Oxlade-Chamberlain deal as something to suggest that he can develop and sell on young talent. Chamberlain was an academy product who Adkins gave regular game time to in L1. He had him sold to Arsenal for £15m within a year. I can see how that might appeal to some at Ewood. It won't matter that it was 11 years ago.

Having said that, his record since Southampton has been very similar to Mowbray's in terms of his teams slipping down the table, after short bursts of form. There have been a few underwhelming finishes where he has taken teams backwards and been sacked as a result.

I'm not calling for his appointment. Just feel that if there is somebody to come in from out of nowhere, like Mowbray did, there's a good chance of it being Adkins, in my opinion.

59 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

That's not a bad list, tbf, if the bullshitmeister is actually right for a change. And pending who the surprise names are of course...better not be Judan Ali or something

17 minutes ago, JBiz said:

I meant really that the promotions and achievements mean he’s done the same as those two managers.

I am aware of Hughtons pedigree - I would probably feel exactly the same as you about his potential.

Would prefer someone a bit more imaginative however but it’s easy to say, Mark Hughes was the last time we had any luck with a new or less established manager, and I can’t see this ownership vacuum getting any better at making those decisions.

Yes, I would prefer someone who’s got recent success in this Division, (Farke), or someone whose star is rising, (Ainsworth).

I also think we should at least speak to Dyche’s agent to test the waters.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, martonrover said:

Yes, I would prefer someone who’s got recent success in this Division, (Farke), or someone whose star is rising, (Ainsworth).

The same three I was going for earlier but I'm having doubts about Dyche. Would it work with his Burnley club & town connections. Great if he fires us to the top but too close to home if we tread water. 

Probably wont happen anyway and Nixon will prove a point when one of "his" unknown surprise managers is appointed. 

21 minutes ago, martonrover said:

I was very hopeful of a quick Dyche hire, but as time marches on, I get less hopeful. He’s had promotions to PL, & kept a club up the longest. He checks those boxes. 

Right now, if I knew it was Dyche or Farke, I’d be over the moon. 

Edited by WacoRover
  • Like 6