BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

36 minutes ago, goozburger said:

Getting 12 players under contract is at least better than what has gone before.

I agree that fannying around in Manchester also cost us. You would want everything settled, first, and then go for your fancy meal (Broughton smiled when he said "made sure he had food and was looked after"). Having a little chuckle at remembering your "cheese butties and a tin of pop on the coach" comment at the time. 😄

However, the bigger failure than the farce surrounding O'Brien was the failure to get a striker in. That's what cost us in the end - goals.

Gregg also fronted up the other day and answered all questions well imo. Accepted that he needs to change too. 
Also the way that we are set up now the Head Coach is only a part of the system, I sense there are candidates already lined up so let’s see what happens.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roverandout said:

Not a huge fan of jdt.  But he's been by far our best manager since the chicken pluckers turned up.  Losing him would mean going back to another chancer.  We need to keep him at all costs 

why you not a fan? 

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

The club brought JDT in and if he goes you have to safely assume they can hire as competently again. 

Wouldn't want Russell Martin myself.

GB seems to have shortlist for key footballing position and that the sort of planning we haven't had in the past here 

30 minutes ago, goozburger said:

Getting 12 players under contract is at least better than what has gone before.

I agree that fannying around in Manchester also cost us. You would want everything settled, first, and then go for your fancy meal (Broughton smiled when he said "made sure he had food and was looked after"). Having a little chuckle at remembering your "cheese butties and a tin of pop on the coach" comment at the time. 😄

They didn't go out in Manchester for a meal or drinks but he was there for a medical and GB make sure he got some food probably from canteen at Man City training ground

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

why you not a fan? 

GB seems to have shortlist for key footballing position and that the sort of planning we haven't had in the past here 

They didn't go out in Manchester for a meal or drinks but he was there for a medical and GB make sure he got some food probably from canteen at Man City training ground

Because his in game management isn't great

Would be a huge blow if Tomasson left, and he would go, 100% and you couldn't blame him. But I wouldn't get too ahead of myself just yet, the key is IF Tottenham get Slot, and then if Feyenoord would automatically come to the Championship for his replacement. Tomasson has done a decent job but not as yet a remarkable one, but of course there is his history as a player there which clubs often seem to obsess over.

The worry would be getting a replacement. It has come out in the last 2 days that the owners asked Morten Gamst Pedersen for his advice last summer, so that is what we are dealing with.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, islander200 said:

Russell Martin 

It read that we had him down as our number 1 target to replace JDT £450 k compo as he in his final year but going Southampton 

Do you subscribe to his patreon?!

4 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Fuming - SW and GB are to blame.

How would they be to blame if our manager was poached by a huge European club?

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Whoever we do get to replace JDT needs to carry on the same style of play, tactics and the good work he has done. Who that is I don't know yet. 

If Tomasson does go, let's just get the best possible manager available, whoever that is. If he wants to play passing football or otherwise, fine.

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

The club brought JDT in and if he goes you have to safely assume they can hire as competently again. 

Wouldn't want Russell Martin myself.

Can you? The owners asked Morten Gamst Pedersen for his advice last summer, they can always scupper everything even if there are good intentions below them.

16 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

How would they be to blame if our manager was poached by a huge European club?

If Tomasson does go, let's just get the best possible manager available, whoever that is. If he wants to play passing football or otherwise, fine.

Can you? The owners asked Morten Gamst Pedersen for his advice last summer, they can always scupper everything even if there are good intentions below them.

No dont subscribe someone had screenshot it on FB 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The article is on BRFCS front page

Well that's might your way of thinking but we have style of passing that's suits the players and I would bring in a head coach that would continue that way of playing. 

Was that them trying to find out more on JDT and his success at Malmo. 

JDT was GB first choice and very quickly appointed within a week of his own appointment. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

The article is on BRFCS front page

Well that's might your way of thinking but we have style of passing that's suits the players and I would bring in a head coach that would continue that way of playing. 

JDT was GB first choice and very quickly appointed within a week of his own appointment. 

But what if a stand out candidate didn't want to pass it out from the back, would you ignore him because of that? Surely you find the best manager and let him play how he wants, not have people who aren't managers telling a manager how to play.

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

If it was, it’s a smart and considered move. If you trust a former player and rate their opinion, why not ask?

Rather that than roping in James Corden to suggest someone who’d been sacked a year ago, as Chelsea did.

Edited by Bethnal
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, goozburger said:

However, I think there was a naivety from Broughton regarding Deniz Undav. The moment Undav started to umm and ahh, we should have perhaps moved on and not hung on to wait for his decision (if that's how it unravelled late on).

I believe there was another striker that we were trying to bring in on the day, but ultimately, we didn't. The striker issue is on Broughton's shoulders, and I suspect this is more the issue (not having another striker through the door) that JDT had a problem with, rather than a not getting two non-essential midfielders through the door.

Pretty much - it's his first Director of Football job (you have to start somewhere) and his first January transfer window. He tried to loan Undav and Kone in to solve the CF option and both fell through for different reasons (one player turned us down, the other had his club pull the plug at the last minute). Let's hope he's learned from the experience and doesn't make the same mistake again. 

Personally think the MGP thing is something and nothing.

Football is a small world, owners/directors will be chewing the fat with ex players/managers all the time, Pedersen just happened to tell the media about a particular conversation.

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes he has agreed to move to Southampton. The biggest question can Wilcox and Ankersen bring in the players he needs for the style of play he wants to play. Jones was the wrong appointment at the wrong time agreed

I wouldn't want Jones as Rovers head coach at all thanks. No suited to our playing squad or youth development. JDT is still here and I confidence he will get us to PL and we will make some good signings this summer. 

Feel sure many Saints' fans will be underwhelmed by  Martin's appointment.  Just what has he achieved as a football manager?  Did he take MKD up - no.  He joined Swansea for the 2021/22 season after the club had just finished 4th in the Championship and he followed that up with 2 lower end league/midtable finishes.  What he has done to earn a crack at Southampton is beyond me - just thankful if JDT does leave we wont have Martin as a replacement.  I would be very surprised if Martin lasts the season at Saints.

As for Jones as Rovers' head coach - done superbly at Luton in two spells but poor at Stoke and he was, IMO, a tad unlucky at Southampton (wrong appointment at the wrong time).

Folk including you Chaddy, get obsessed with possession based football.  It means feck all unless you do something positive with the ball when you have it like score some goals, win football matches from both losing and winning positions and get promoted!

Burnley, Sheff U (auto promoted) and Coventry and Luton (play off finalists) all have a physicality, an aggression, a fighting spirit and a will to win to supplement when they have possession of the ball.  It's no coincidence the possession based teams like Rovers, Sunderland and M'boro have been blown away. 

You need a particular type of manager to get out of the Championship - Jones ticks the boxes, Martin doesn't and very possibly JDT doesn't. 

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Football is a small world, owners/directors will be chewing the fat with ex players/managers all the time, Pedersen just happened to tell the media about a particular conversation.

That may be true to be fair. Although I guess any worries about a replacement for Tomasson whenever he moves on comes more from Venkys history rather than a conversation with a former player.

12 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Burnley, Sheff U (auto promoted) and Coventry and Luton (play off finalists) all have a physicality, an aggression, a fighting spirit and a will to win to supplement when they have possession of the ball.  It's no coincidence the possession based teams like Rovers, Sunderland and M'boro have been blown away. 

You need a particular type of manager to get out of the Championship - Jones ticks the boxes, Martin doesn't and very possibly JDT doesn't. 

I wouldn't use Burnley to back up that argument when they comfortably had the highest average possession in the league.

There are many ways to skin a cat. There are crap teams that try to control the ball, crap teams that play on the counter and crap teams that play for set-pieces.

You definitely don't need a "particular type of manager to get out of the championship", that's nonsense.

• Like 7

• Backroom
2 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Agreed. Rather than genuinely asking advice, I reckon it would've been more a case of 'we're getting this guy from your part of the world, pretty good huh?'

IF we had to replace JDT, I'd be trying for someone similar. Maybe Knutsen or Hutter.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Feel sure many Saints' fans will be underwhelmed by  Martin's appointment.  Just what has he achieved as a football manager?  Did he take MKD up - no.  He joined Swansea for the 2021/22 season after the club had just finished 4th in the Championship and he followed that up with 2 lower end league/midtable finishes.  What he has done to earn a crack at Southampton is beyond me - just thankful if JDT does leave we wont have Martin as a replacement.  I would be very surprised if Martin lasts the season at Saints.

As for Jones as Rovers' head coach - done superbly at Luton in two spells but poor at Stoke and he was, IMO, a tad unlucky at Southampton (wrong appointment at the wrong time).

Folk including you Chaddy, get obsessed with possession based football.  It means feck all unless you do something positive with the ball when you have it like score some goals, win football matches from both losing and winning positions and get promoted!

I agree with a lot of what you have said (had to be a first lol). However the part I disagree with is the jones to Rovers fit. We have a way of playing and a clear plan to move forward. I don’t think a Head Coach leaving is going to change that. We have considerably more assets now than what we had 12 months ago. Hopefully no more players leaving on frees (unless we want that to happen)

• Backroom
20 minutes ago, XLM said:

I wouldn't use Burnley to back up that argument when they comfortably had the highest average possession in the league.

There are many ways to skin a cat. There are crap teams that try to control the ball, crap teams that play on the counter and crap teams that play for set-pieces.

You definitely don't need a "particular type of manager to get out of the championship", that's nonsense.

You need a manager to be effective AND lucky. I think ours is effective but luck abandoned us in the last 10 games.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Agreed. Rather than genuinely asking advice, I reckon it would've been more a case of 'we're getting this guy from your part of the world, pretty good huh?'

IF we had to replace JDT, I'd be trying for someone similar. Maybe Knutsen or Hutter.

So they asked a Norwegian about a Dane who was managing in Sweden.

• Like 3

• Backroom
17 minutes ago, Hasta said:

So they asked a Norwegian about a Dane who was managing in Sweden.

Yeah. Scandinavia being 'your part of the world'.

Edited by Mike E

9 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Yeah. Scandinavia being 'your part of the world'.

Ok. And so they thought that asking a guy who lived in Norway would have a detailed  opinion on a Dane managing in Sweden?

Fucking idiots.

MGP probably told then he’d once had a falling out with Warnock on a touchline and didn’t like him.

Edited by Hasta