BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

I don't buy all of the conspiracy theories about JDT being on the verge of leaving.

That being said, I can slightly believe that he may see this season as a bit of a lost cause and may have identified some value in being a manager who gets a side to play a certain 'brand' of football.

He will get more attention out of us playing good football and finishing 12th than he will out of us playing Allardyce-esque football and finishing 5th and going out in the playoff semis.

I still enjoy it. I want to be entertained by the club that I support and I know that I am guaranteed value for my time when a match rolls around...although I would like Pears dropped.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I don't buy all of the conspiracy theories about JDT being on the verge of leaving.

That being said, I can slightly believe that he may see this season as a bit of a lost cause and may have identified some value in being a manager who gets a side to play a certain 'brand' of football.

He will get more attention out of us playing good football and finishing 12th than he will out of us playing Allardyce-esque football and finishing 5th and going out in the playoff semis.

I still enjoy it. I want to be entertained by the club that I support and I know that I am guaranteed value for my time when a match rolls around...although I would like Pears dropped.

A lot of those who travelled the length of the country twice in the last couple of weeks might be starting to view things a little different.

It's not about making JDT look good so he can court attention it's about finding the right formula to get points in this league not get pats on the back for being gallant losers,

• Like 6

Honestly past caring about tommason now, its been nice having someone in charge with a more likeable personality after suffering years of bloody mowbray.

But i find his whole "footballing philosophy" tedious as hell and he's a bit of a one trick pony tactically, i also dont like the way he handles players, too much fannying about with his nancy 'player presentations' and dribble like that. 

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

We're not going to finish 12th conceding two or three goals every week - nowhere near.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Honestly past caring about tommason now, its been nice having someone in charge with a more likeable personality after suffering years of bloody mowbray.

But i find his whole "footballing philosophy" tedious as hell and he's a bit of a one trick pony tactically, i also dont like the way he handles players, too much fannying about with his nancy 'player presentations' and dribble like that. 

If only we could dribble !

38 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

We're not going to finish 12th conceding two or three goals every week - nowhere near.

We had our share of hammerings last season.We finished 7th

We are in a rut, the tactics may need tweaking.Noticed on this or another thread you reckoned we should be worried about relegation and you ain't alone.Not a chance we get relegated.

5 hours ago, tomphil said:

A lot of those who travelled the length of the country twice in the last couple of weeks might be starting to view things a little different.

It's not about making JDT look good so he can court attention it's about finding the right formula to get points in this league not get pats on the back for being gallant losers,

I didn't say it was about making him look good, just that this style might make him look good. 

9 minutes ago, roverblue said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/23809606.jon-dahl-tomasson-disagrees-blackburn-rovers-criticism/

Worrying statements from JDT here, we are clearly playing too open and being overrun in midfield in the last 3 games. If he doesnt see it then we are in for more of the same every week.

Yes. If we carry in playing the same way and letting the opposition have 20+ shots a game whilst he says the tactics are fine then that is Mowbray style stubbornness 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, roverblue said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/23809606.jon-dahl-tomasson-disagrees-blackburn-rovers-criticism/

Worrying statements from JDT here, we are clearly playing too open and being overrun in midfield in the last 3 games. If he doesnt see it then we are in for more of the same every week.

yeh I agree. But I think thats just the way hes setting us up to play to create as many chances as poss. We are almost man for man at times. Ipswich and Sunderland from the 2 games I watched live, both teams did the same thing, they tried to drag out one of the cbs as they knew hyam or carter would go an follow them, both our fullbacks man mark the wingers as wide as possible, leaving hyam or carter one v one against the striker, both teams went direct trying to play on the space being left wide open. Tbh its not caused us much issues like JDT says but its massive gaps looking at it live. But it enables us to press and try to win the ball high up the field. 

Wharton for all his fantastic passing with the ball, hangs travis out to dry a bit. Travis is chasing the ball down all over which leaves wharton all on his own, but wharton seems to be a cone at times, you can easily walk past him out of possession. But again its probably the way JDT wants them to play, its risky as we do win the ball high up sometimes and make good chances, but on the flip side we are open and easy to play through, its risky. 

The Watford game away we were very compact in the middle of the pitch and it just about worked but we didnt create many chances. The ipswich game we played like we were the home team, I think in his mind by starting sigurdson knowing he would probably only get through 45, he decided to go for it, try get an early lead then maybe sit in and hold onto it once he came off, but it didnt work out like that being 3-1 down at ht. 

Im still hopeful, we just need to be in touching distance come january, thats got tobe the only aim for now. Can easily get a run at any point, and I think hes still learning about his new players. Hopefully pears is dropped from now on, but I wouldnt bet against it. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, roverblue said:

Mowbray style delusion creeping in already but hopefully he is now waking up to the fact this style is exposing more players to errors.

It's on his head to change it around if they can't cope with the style then change them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, roverblue said:

All depends - what you say to the press and what you do on the training ground don't necessarily match.

The players have to believe - and seem to have taken on board his philosophy. Confidence is a big thing - and JDT knows this. Small tweaks - like Travis playing more defensively can easily be made behind the scenes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, all you need is duff said:

Yes. If we carry in playing the same way and letting the opposition have 20+ shots a game whilst he says the tactics are fine then that is Mowbray style stubbornness 

So if Pears reduced his mistakes we might have won that.  We have to give the new lad a try.  Durely he won't be palming crosses onto opponents in space in the edge if the box.. Rubbish that was.

19 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

I did read it, sounds like nonsense to me. He got noticed last season for having us up there throughout and in a cup QF, not ‘playing the right way’ as we were pretty prosaic for the most part.

You can disagree with it, but not sure exactly how it can 'sound like nonsense'. 

Recent history would show that managers that play with a certain style tend to get more media attention.

Why did JDT get noticed last season? Top 6 throughout and a cup quarter final beating PL sides along the way.

He has us, say, 13th this time but playing ‘good’ football that will get him a higher profile and more of a chance of a big job etc than being at the top end of the league?

Don’t agree, sorry.