BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

My big worry is losing JDT particularly with him frequently making it quite clear the 'project' has changed.  He must feel he is being asked to do the job with one arm tied behind his back.  I think his frustrations are very clear.

The irony is our style of football and performance at Norwich yesterday will almost certainly see the departure of Wagner and it is not inconceivable Norwich will cast an envious eye in the direction of JDT; if they came in for him, I think he would be off like a shot and who could blame him. 

• Like 4

"We cut the budget in the summer, it was difficult to get players in. We let Ayala and Phillips go and we only got James in. He is playing excellent, very good football, a leader.

"We have to cope with it, that's why our CEO didn't put the biggest expectation out there."JDT

I wonder how much of JDT wanted to call him Swag no CEO. He is so transparent that he is f'd off as much as we are about the summer.

I like how he uses the royal "we" there too. Yeh of course we cut the budget.   

1 minute ago, NeilInBristol said:

"We cut the budget in the summer, it was difficult to get players in. We let Ayala and Phillips go and we only got James in. He is playing excellent, very good football, a leader.

"We have to cope with it, that's why our CEO didn't put the biggest expectation out there."JDT

I wonder how much of JDT wanted to call him Swag no CEO. He is so transparent that he is f'd off as much as we are about the summer.

I like how he uses the royal "we" there too. Yeh of course we cut the budget.   

He calls the players his players, he calls the CEO our CEO.

Very revealing I would say. 🧐

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mercer said:

My big worry is losing JDT particularly with him frequently making it quite clear the 'project' has changed.  He must feel he is being asked to do the job with one arm tied behind his back.  I think his frustrations are very clear.

The irony is our style of football and performance at Norwich yesterday will almost certainly see the departure of Wagner and it is not inconceivable Norwich will cast an envious eye in the direction of JDT; if they came in for him, I think he would be off like a shot and who could blame him. 

He is doing an excellent job so far. 

Norwich will go for Arsenal coach from Arteta staff

On 02/11/2023 at 12:17, wilsdenrover said:

It’s the idea our playing style is based on what other clubs want rather than what’s best for us that annoys (I could use much stronger words) me the most.

I hope I’m just misinterpreting what he said but I fear I’m not.

I think the logic is to buy low sell high and consistently improve the quality of the squad. Brentford, Brighton etc have done it. Its a strategy that can work. And tbh if we ever want to get the club standing on its own feet so we no longer need Venkys cash it's the only strategy I can see. If we can make the club independently financially viable we can push them out with some confidence which we just dont have at the moment.

Id rather this than spending money we don't have.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

He is doing an excellent job so far. 

Norwich will go for Arsenal coach from Arteta staff

Agree, given the circumstances he has to manage in, JDT is doing remarkably well.  That doesn't mean I agree with all his football decisions. Without doubt, his ability to fashion the playing style we have and get decent results with one hand tied behind his back is quite remarkable and will have not gone unnoticed.

Surprised at Norwich appointing Knapper as sporting director.  His CV isn't that impressive.  IMO, also based on some tit bits from a good Arsenal connection, I think it will be hugely challenging for him.  Think he's bottled his first big input - it seems Wagner has lost both players and fans and there can be no way back from that.

Given Knapper's Arsenal background, I think you've put 2 and 2 together and come up with 5. 

If I was involved at Norwich, JDT would be on my shortlist.

16 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I think the logic is to buy low sell high and consistently improve the quality of the squad. Brentford, Brighton etc have done it. Its a strategy that can work. And tbh if we ever want to get the club standing on its own feet so we no longer need Venkys cash it's the only strategy I can see. If we can make the club independently financially viable we can push them out with some confidence which we just dont have at the moment.

Id rather this than spending money we don't have.

I agree with this but I don’t think it means we should be prioritising putting  players in the shop window over having the best chance to win games.

As I said, I’m hoping I’ve just misinterpreted what JDT was trying to get across.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Agree, given the circumstances he has to manage in, JDT is doing remarkably well.  That doesn't mean I agree with all his football decisions. Without doubt, his ability to fashion the playing style we have and get decent results with one hand tied behind his back is quite remarkable and will have not gone unnoticed.

Surprised at Norwich appointing Knapper as sporting director.  His CV isn't that impressive.  IMO, also based on some tit bits from a good Arsenal connection, I think it will be hugely challenging for him.  Think he's bottled his first big input - it seems Wagner has lost both players and fans and there can be no way back from that.

Given Knapper's Arsenal background, I think you've put 2 and 2 together and come up with 5. 

Do you think JDT would be interested in the Norwich job and if so why?

4 hours ago, Mercer said:

As it stands, and without any changes at the club with regards to ambitions and recruitment of players, I just cannot see him staying beyond this season. And why would he? He's young and ambitious and wants to coach at the highest level - which he now knows he's highly unlikely to achieve at Ewood Park

14 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

Do you think JDT would be interested in the Norwich job and if so why?

See Jim's post below.

Don't think JDT will land a 'big job' until he can add to his cv eg a promotion to PL. 

Think he would have a much better chance of achieving that at Norwich.  They are a decent club (similar to what we once were) who generally give their managers a fair shot unless it's plainly not working, have good facilities (ground, training, academy etc) and average 25k+ regularly.

A lovely area to live in and would be a better career step than the cr@p he has to contend with here.

13 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

As it stands, and without any changes at the club with regards to ambitions and recruitment of players, I just cannot see him staying beyond this season. And why would he? He's young and ambitious and wants to coach at the highest level - which he now knows he's highly unlikely to achieve at Ewood Park

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Think he would have a much better chance of achieving that at Norwich.  They are a decent club (similar to what we once were) who generally give their managers a fair shot unless it's plainly not working, have good facilities (ground, training, academy etc) and average 25k+ regularly.

A lovely area to live in and would be a better career step than the cr@p he has to contend with here

norwich are as skint as we are,having blown all their parachute money on overpaid and mediocre players,jdt is`nt going to leave one skint club for another

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

JDT and the players are doing very well.

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Knapper is coming in shortly and I think Wagner will be sack after this weekend game and then they will spend the international break bringing in a replacement. 

If I was Norwich I would go for John Eustace. Did a very good job at Birmingham City 

56 minutes ago, Mercer said:

See Jim's post below.

Don't think JDT will land a 'big job' until he can add to his cv eg a promotion to PL. 

A lovely area to live in and would be a better career step than the cr@p he has to contend with here.

Norwich are potless Mercer plus in ownership battle. They selling players and investing little in the new signings. 

Lets be honest if it comes down to playing and wage budgets he'd have more to work with virtually everywhere except maybe at the current bottom 3 clubs. The budget wasn't exactly great to start with and then inexplicably and completely unprofessionally was slashed further mid transfer window.

It's one thing having little-no money to back an ambitious manager, quite another to make life even more difficult for him by leading him to believe it was one thing and then drastically cutting that half way through the summer.

To follow the calamity of January and O'Brien with these shananigans must really have annoyed him.

So I suspect even a move to a skint club albeit one that is honest as to the reasons why and one that doesn't muck him around mid-transfer window, and doesn't pull the plug on deals and mess people around on deadline day would be a step up. Especially one that doesn't have a charlatan masquerading as CEO, whilst really run by a bloke in the shadows with no footballing background.

I suspect he'll be off the minute any reasonable offer is made but agree that unless he hauls us right into the promotion mix that might not come mid-season. Still expect a move to Germany, Holland or Italy more likely than sideways in the Championship but you never know.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Until we are right up in the top six consistently I dont think we need to be too worried about anyone taking him. Not many clubs who would seem worth moving to are going to want a mid table Championship manager 

This lacks any context.

He clearly a very talented coach working on a very limited budget, beating teams with far bigger budgets at their disposal. He plays really good football, and as nearly every oppo manager has said, Rovers are very well coached. 

14 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

JDT and the players are doing very well.

Knapper is coming in shortly and I think Wagner will be sack after this weekend game and then they will spend the international break bringing in a replacement. 

If I was Norwich I would go for John Eustace. Did a very good job at Birmingham City 

Norwich are potless Mercer plus in ownership battle. They selling players and investing little in the new signings. 

If Norwich are “ potless  “ what does that make Rovers ?

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

There are different kinds of potless i think that's a point a few are missing.

Norwich get 25k ave being the only club in an entire area and i'd presume their corporate and sponsorship takings dwarf ours as well.  So they are able to work with - again presumably - a bigger wage budget.  They'll have some players on double what most of our lot are on now.

So if a guy goes in there he might not have money to actually spend but he has more to work with if they allow him to ship a few out off the payroll. Then unlike here they keep the same budget and let him bring in players from a different wage structure to us.

Mowbray had that for a while here he had many players already on and coming in on 10.15 even 20k pwk.  That's all gone now but what would JDT give to work in a structure like that to try and make better players better rather than trying to create them from raw potential ?

The exact thing he needs now at Ewood which is the ability to draft in one or two more experienced quality players is gone.  There are numerous other clubs in this league where it would still be possible.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

The exact thing he needs now at Ewood which is the ability to draft in one or two more experienced quality players is gone.  There are numerous other clubs in this league where it would still be possible.

I'd say this is possible at every other club in the league. Only last week Rotherham signed Ayala on a free transfer to aid their defensive troubles, I don't believe there is any scope or possibility for us to bring in a 30-something experienced head even on a free transfer, even to solve a defensive crisis.

I think we are the only club following this 'academy' policy whereby any new signing needs to follow strict parameters both on wage demands but also on age and 'potential'.

I could accept / understand such a policy if it took us to a place where in a few years we had developed a very valuable or deep capable squad, but we've learned from experience that this won't be possible here, they'll keep numbers down, keep on cutting back and keep on failing to deal with the contract situations.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

This lacks any context.

He clearly a very talented coach working on a very limited budget, beating teams with far bigger budgets at their disposal. He plays really good football, and as nearly every oppo manager has said, Rovers are very well coached. 

I agree with what you say, but its rare for an attractive club with a good budget to pick a manager in mid table if they can attract those with a better CV. Thats just the way it is.

If we get back in the top six for a period and everyone starts talking him up then the situation could change quickly imo.

4 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

I agree with what you say, but its rare for an attractive club with a good budget to pick a manager in mid table if they can attract those with a better CV. Thats just the way it is.

If we get back in the top six for a period and everyone starts talking him up then the situation could change quickly imo.

i fully expect the club to announce he`s leaving when the season is drawing to a close,mutual termination and all that,don`t blame him at all,why would an ambitious coach,who is obviously going on to better things,stay at a club where ambition is a filthy word,unless of course he receives proper  backing transfer wise,a highly unlikely scenario